User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe in a God?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

29 46.03%
  • No

34 53.97%
First 7891011 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I believe in the Triune God of the Bible as He has revealed Himself there and in nature. I have believed since I was 8 years old and my faith has never changed, even though I closely examined other religions, cults and faiths.
    Do tell me, Journey, do you believe in MBTI?

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    But tell me Sid, do you believe that Zeus and Poseidon possibly exist?
    No. Any god with a name and a description is made up by man. If there are gods, we wouldn't know anything about them.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by LucrativeSid View Post
    No. Any god with a name and a description is made up by man. If there are gods, we wouldn't know anything about them.
    And if we know nothing about them, we are believing without evidence - any evidence whatsoever.

And I know of no evidence whatsoever for Zeus or Poseidon, so what's to stop me from believing in them?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Always throw your first fish back, or Tangaroa won't give you any more, that's what I believe.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

All i know are the evidence around me. That for every life we know, theres something else above it. We know that the universe is huge, we are only playing our ignorant card if we think that theres no superior life form than us. Trying to prove theres a god is like an ant trying to prove theres human. They lack necessary tools/senses to detect us. Why would it be any different higher up? Of course we pride ourselve with our tools and technology, which could be our doorway to understanding. But i think the gods were thinking of is no more of a creator than human creating the ant in the ground. And they could probably care less about our prayers. So i believe in higher life forms, but not a all knowing god. You could probably call them gods...but i think they could care less.
    This post grammatical errors had been intentionally left uncorrected.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    2 thoughts to add purely for the sake of argument:

1) I feel compelled to offer the typical response to the Intelligent Design theory: who is to say this Creator is benevolent? If anything, it seems more evident with all the shitty things going on in the world, that this creator is indeed malevolent.

In regards to intelligent design the argument itself logically can't claim that the creator is benevolent or not, it's just whether it was intelligently created. Beyond that I step into unknown realms that are harder to prove and much more personal in a sense.

2) The complex scientific theories of the universe that you dismiss are my religion of sorts. I am in awe of universe and its elegant symphonic self-design, its immense size and strange nature, its calculable rational, and yet its unpredictability and the unfathomable odds which must be overcome to create something such as life or consciousness. These are the things I can believe and trust in. These are my miracles, and I don't need a deity to explain them, because science does that for me. Beyond that, I cannot say for sure what there is out there. I don't deny your beliefs, I just want to stress that one can observe the extraordinary miracles around oneself and not use traditional religious belief to explain and understand it.
    I understand your views. I see science in a slightly different light is all.
    - Caleb

"I am what I need to be..."

"Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Serious question: are there any differences between God and Zeus/Poseidon/other ancient gods besides the name?
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by ADISCIPLE View Post
    I apologize if this gives you a negative impression. I feel short, direct responses provide the best feedback of one's thoughts.
    Ha, I don't have a negative impression of you at all; it was just an observation. If anything, I appreciate your fairness and precision.
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    Serious question: are there any differences between God and Zeus/Poseidon/other ancient gods besides the name?
    Well, they behave differently. They have different personalities. Zeus and Poseidon existed at the same time, (I guess they still do) and were acquaintances, so they could not be the same. Is this what you meant?
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    Yea, the idea of them or them specifically/individually. There are a lot of differences.
    - Caleb

"I am what I need to be..."

"Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."