User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe in a God?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

29 46.03%
  • No

34 53.97%
First 678910 Last

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I used to believe in God and felt an actual connection to something beyond myself when I sat quietly alone in nature. It wasn't exactly a feeling, but a clearer perception of what it means to be kind, and a sharpened sense of empathy, of being profoundly connected to everything around me.

I'm agnostic. I have explored this topic with a lot of effort for at least 25 years. I have heard the logical arguments against the existence of god, and for the most part I understand it. As a reasoning person I accept it, although it isn't what I desire to think. Emotionally it was at times a grief to accept, but I want to know what i am actually dealing with in reality because that allows me to best know how to live and where to put my energies.

I don't approach it with the kind of certitude that some do. It isn't because I think all possibilities are equal. They aren't. It has more to do with being aware of my own limitations to perceive reality as a whole. The closest thing I have to certitude is that human beings are small and limited and cannot perceive the whole of reality
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by ADISCIPLE View Post
    There is nothing WRONG with asking a question in which people feel compelled to answer directly. When you ask hard question to someone some deem it as impossible, some are scared, and some want to answer it. With every person I found here that wanted to answer the question, two would rather just search for it, or de-rationalize it. This is a problem I see in society and I see it in you. I can handle being hated, or mocked, I think the best people are. I have seen that 25 to 30 posters cannot publish view on a topic but can rather bicker between one another. Many people are not able to answer a question yes or no because they are afraid of what someone will say, or are afraid of what they might believe, or get lost in the technicalities, mixed with judgement of a persons seniority or MBTI or Avatar, like yourself. The poll was aimed at people who can answer this question for themselves, who can share some experiences. Yes I hoped to get biased results out of it, and I got the opposite. So you are right, the poll was worthless, it achieved NOTHING. But it did give me some answers, just unexpected ones. People cannot accept one another's views on a topic and allow them just to believe what they believe. And especially in the people that don't believe, seem incapable of just living, loving, and helping. I am sorry you are an unhappy person that likes to hurl insults and tell someone they mock them, that is just not me.
    You mock ALL OF US here and our intellectual integrity by posting a poll you admit yourself ACHIEVED NOTHING.

why? unhappy much? I love illogical inductive inferences too, maybe we can join the glee club together! getting personal about God is OSO FUN!

your resident asshole

I voted yes. Do I believe in the god as depicted in the Roman Catholic Bible (my supposed religion)? No.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

^see ?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFj

I believe in the Triune God of the Bible as He has revealed Himself there and in nature. I have believed since I was 8 years old and my faith has never changed, even though I closely examined other religions, cults and faiths.
    "My Journey is my Destination."

"Today Counts Forever." R.C. Sproul

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

People cannot accept one another's views on a topic and allow them just to believe what they believe. And especially in the people that don't believe, seem incapable of just living, loving, and helping.
    It didn't take you long to prove your point. Well done!
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

I'm agnostic. I don't understand why people don't like how there's only two options in the poll. I'm asked what I believe, not what I know. I don't believe deities exist, I merely believe that it's a possibility.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MBTI
    INTP

I didn't want to hear from those people. I think everyone should know what they believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Not cool. Agnostics get left out again.
    Agreed.

If someone doesn't have enough information to make a decision between two options it doesn't mean that their reasoning is flawed. There's nothing stopping them from making a good point.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I used to believe in God and felt an actual connection to something beyond myself when I sat quietly alone in nature. It wasn't exactly a feeling, but a clearer perception of what it means to be kind, and a sharpened sense of empathy, of being profoundly connected to everything around me.

I'm agnostic. I have explored this topic with a lot of effort for at least 25 years. I have heard the logical arguments against the existence of god, and for the most part I understand it. As a reasoning person I accept it, although it isn't what I desire to think. Emotionally it was at times a grief to accept, but I want to know what i am actually dealing with in reality because that allows me to best know how to live and where to put my energies.

I don't approach it with the kind of certitude that some do. It isn't because I think all possibilities are equal. They aren't. It has more to do with being aware of my own limitations to perceive reality as a whole. The closest thing I have to certitude is that human beings are small and limited and cannot perceive the whole of reality
    I like your posts so much Toonia, I want to reach through the screen and touch you.

However we all perceive by gestalt, that is, we always perceive wholes. We are incapable of perceiving in parts.

So we always perceive the whole of reality.

However we do perceive by making distinctions, and the more distinctions the more we see. But we always see the whole.

And I can hear you saying, in your delightful accent, "But Victor, which whole do you see? Do you see the whole whole? Or do you only see your own whole?".

And I answer, "Although I do like the way you roll your 'r's, a whole is a whole, is a whole; just as a rose, is a rose, is a rose".

Or you might say, "We are just set up to interpret our input as a whole". And I would say, "This still leaves us with no way to perceive in parts, we are condemned to the whole".

We are condemned to the gestalt and to the delightful gestalt therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by LucrativeSid View Post
    I don't believe deities exist, I merely believe that it's a possibility.
    But tell me Sid, do you believe that Zeus and Poseidon possibly exist?