• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you believe in a God?

Do you believe in a God?

• Yes

Votes: 34 45.9%
  • No

Votes: 40 54.1%

• Total voters

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Yea, the idea of them or them specifically/individually. There are a lot of differences.

So given knowledge about the gods and God, as well as our scientific knowledge about the universe, and our familiarity with certain human traits, we could compare the probability of many gods existing or just one God or anything else. To me this points to there being God.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't believe in a god.

Sometimes when I am extra irrational due to mental illness, I feel as though there is a god(s) and they are cursing me. Other than that, no.

Mole

Permabanned
When I am entranced, and when I am enchanted, when my critical mind goes to sleep and my imaginative mind wakes up, I believe in a God.

Some of us believe in Poseidon, the God of the Sea, and some of us believe in the Trinity. For millennia we believed in our household God, but slowly we extended our God to the tribe, to the city, and the nation.

And now we believe our God created the whole of the visible universe of two trillion galaxies, with me in mind.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Believing in "A God" isn't necessarily irrational.

Believing in "No God" isn't necessarily rational.

For me, whether I believe in a God is a conscious choice resulting from morality. If there is a God that lets evil go unpunished and endorses or even allows suffering to perpetuate, then this God is highly immoral and not deserving of worship.

Rather than believe in such a God, I choose to believe in none, and act as if there's none.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I believe that man wants there to be a God in the image of himself.

I wonder what the beings several galaxies over look like and want...

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm solidly in the agnostic, leaning atheist's camp.

I have a strong dislike towards organized religion and religious societies. I see that any benefit they may have once had being entirely abused and manipulated - likely the reason more and more are turning away from religion overall.

Belief is a personal thing that should be kept to the individual. It should have no impact on anyone else, including family and children - they should be able to decide for themselves as well.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
569bd43997a4ee243d6d252c8bf00d11.jpg

From a book? No. But I can imagine there is something out there. But what is God really?

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
If I believe in anything, it is patterns and energy. Invisible yet legitimate forces influencing existence and Being, like sacred math. It's partially why I am so interested in identifying a solid theory of personality... because I view that as one layer of a multidimensional equation.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm an agnostic atheist.

Kephalos

J.M.P.P. R.I.P. B5: RLOAI
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I don't believe in god as something that exists objectively -- something "out there". BUT, god(s) does exist in the same way that money and so many other "things" exist: enough people believe in god so as for it having material effect on objective reality.

Madboot

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I do. However, I do not believe organized religion to be good thing. Nor do I believe in any sort of religious authority. I also don't pretend to know anything. I have my beliefs and I have no desire to convert anyone to my beliefs. I am certainly wrong about something. Probably a great many somethings. I just try to be better as I go through life.

ygolo

My termites win
Other threads on this channel have inspired me to ask this question. Do you believe in a God? This God can be of a specific religion such as Christianity, or can be Nature, Scientific rules, an Initiator, whatever. I will start by saying I believe in a God. :coffee:

I believe in something akin to God enough | Salon.com

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
no figure holds dominion over me

ill tell god to his face to check his privilege

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
"There are things that we just can't deduce from particle physics -- life, agency, meaning, value and this thing called consciousness. The fact is that we can act on our own behalf and make choices. So agency is real. With agency comes value. Dinner is either good or bad. There's consciousness in the universe. We may not be able to explain it, but it's true. So the first new strand in the scientific worldview is emergence"

God enough | Salon.com <<< this comes very close to what i believe and why i believe it. Agency is real with agency comes value. I absolutely believe in a conscious universe with energy, particles and a deep connection to nature...I also believe in a synergetic meaningful connection though all life forms that is unseen but eventually will be become relevant. The internet is as close as we can come to comprehending this or attempting a mimic of it. but it is much larger.

"God is the sacredness of nature. And you can go a step beyond that. You can say that God is nature. That's the God of Spinoza. That's the God that Einstein believed in. But their view of the universe was deterministic. The new view is that evolution of the universe is partially lawless and ceaselessly creative. We are the children of that creativity. One either does or does not take the step of saying God is the creativity of the universe. I do. Or you say there is divinity in the creativity in the universe. If we can't transform our secular humanist, consumerist worldview into one in which we have this sense of responsibility, awe and wonder for the planet and all life, then we can't invent a global ethic. Yet we need it to create a transnational, mythic structure to sustain the global civilization that's emerging."

There is no one sitting in a seat waiting to judge us, its scary to me people still believe that. in that case i believe in Thor and oden and the old gods . That's my actual preference is we are doing fairy tales.

Mole

Permabanned
"There are things that we just can't deduce from particle physics -- life, agency, meaning, value and this thing called consciousness. The fact is that we can act on our own behalf and make choices. So agency is real. With agency comes value. Dinner is either good or bad. There's consciousness in the universe. We may not be able to explain it, but it's true. So the first new strand in the scientific worldview is emergence"

God enough | Salon.com <<< this comes very close to what i believe and why i believe it. Agency is real with agency comes value. I absolutely believe in a conscious universe with energy, particles and a deep connection to nature...I also believe in a synergetic meaningful connection though all life forms that is unseen but eventually will be become relevant. The internet is as close as we can come to comprehending this or attempting a mimic of it. but it is much larger.

"God is the sacredness of nature. And you can go a step beyond that. You can say that God is nature. That's the God of Spinoza. That's the God that Einstein believed in. But their view of the universe was deterministic. The new view is that evolution of the universe is partially lawless and ceaselessly creative. We are the children of that creativity. One either does or does not take the step of saying God is the creativity of the universe. I do. Or you say there is divinity in the creativity in the universe. If we can't transform our secular humanist, consumerist worldview into one in which we have this sense of responsibility, awe and wonder for the planet and all life, then we can't invent a global ethic. Yet we need it to create a transnational, mythic structure to sustain the global civilization that's emerging."

There is no one sitting in a seat waiting to judge us, its scary to me people still believe that. in that case i believe in Thor and oden and the old gods . That's my actual preference is we are doing fairy tales.

We know particle physics is based on quantum fields, which we can measure to an accuracy of ten decimal places.

And rather than being sacred, nature is red in tooth and claw, and is based on survival and reproduction. The sacredness of nature requires the suspension of disbelief.

Mole

Permabanned
There might as well be a creator but I really can't but the story that he cares about what we eat, who we have sex with, do we masturbate, do we worship him...

Interestingly, we are meaning creating animals, like all animals we have been selected through survival and reproduction, and we have been selected for language and meaning.

And although other animals have various forms of meaning, language enables us to be less reliant on instinct and more reliant on meaning. And we have discovered in the concentration camps, that a life without meaning, loses the will to live.

And we create meaning within a context. It doesn't matter much what the context is, it could be Islam, Buddhism, Marxism, Christianity, Poseidon, or Zeus. And as long as we have a context, we can create meaning, and nurture the will to live.

We do the dance of meaning, and context is the music.

Or we are painting a meaning, within the context of a frame.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think gods exist and I mean there are lots of them. I mean who's to say that the big G is more valid to exist than Zeus or Loki. I don't worship any gods though at least not currently. Its like why be boring and just believe in one when you can enjoy the idea of many of them existing heck I think with how vast the universe is there's gotta be millions of gods out there its against the laws of physics and nature for any entity to have power over the universe. Plus it makes for a far richer literary culture and history to accept that they all exist.

Mole

Permabanned
At least in liberal democratic societies we can choose to either suspend our disbelief, or to not suspend our disbelief in a diety.

But what we can't do is suspend our ability to worship. And whatever we worship, we become.

Some of us worship a diety, and some worship mammon. We worship sex, power, money, property, and honours. But whatever we worship, we become.