User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe in a God?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    29 46.03%
  • No

    34 53.97%
First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 122

  1. #51
    Senior Member Into It's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    664

    Default

    "No God" is +90%

    Edit:My curse of precision made me edit this post.
    87.5
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

  2. #52
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post
    ...instead of Hawking and Lederman, I should have been learning from you.
    Quite right, mate.

    But in the meantime you might like to keep in mind that the big bang is shorthand.

    The big bang is a metaphor for something that is s quite counter-intuitive and outside our experience.

    And the only sin you can commit with a metaphor is to take it literally.

    So to be quite explicit - the big bang does not mean there was an explosion.

  3. #53
    Senior Member Eagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post
    I read that book too. And I can accept a "God Particle." But Victor was claiming that the Big Bang theory "confirms the religious view of a creator," which is nonsense. A Particle is not the "creator" that he refers to.
    Possibly. In more ways than not Intelligent Design of some sort is more probable and more believable. The simplest solution is more times than not the right one.

    I find it easier to believe in an all powerful endless God than in something from nothing.

    From a somewhat objective point of view a creator could have made the big bang. Either way, we never throughout all of science can come up with how the universe originated. The big bang cannot work simply because matter (a form of energy) cannot be created or destroyed. It's possible that that matter was always there stretching throughout time into eternity past. However, it's not probable. If it was there throughout eternity past what changed, that it would expand at such an enormous rate? Even with time on it's side the chances are not even close that we would come into being, that life period would come into being. Even if life were to come into being to become the species and the different kinds of life that we have today it would have to evolve. Most evolutions hinder or do not effect the organism at all. Very few are for the better (which we would say that our coming into existence would be towards the better end of the spectrum). So the odds are that life would become extinct and have to start all over again. It doesn't work. It's more plausible to believe in an inexplicable God guiding this universe than to believe it all occurred and came into being because of trillions upon trillions of coincidences.

    There is no such thing as coincidence.

    Therefore, I choose to believe in providence.

    Ohhh, and I never read any book on the Higgs Particle.
    - Caleb

    "I am what I need to be..."

    "Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."

  4. #54
    Member ADISCIPLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    Possibly. In more ways than not Intelligent Design of some sort is more probable and more believable. The simplest solution is more times than not the right one.

    I find it easier to believe in an all powerful endless God than in something from nothing.

    From a somewhat objective point of view a creator could have made the big bang. Either way, we never throughout all of science can come up with how the universe originated. The big bang cannot work simply because matter (a form of energy) cannot be created or destroyed. It's possible that that matter was always there stretching throughout time into eternity past. However, it's not probable. If it was there throughout eternity past what changed, that it would expand at such an enormous rate? Even with time on it's side the chances are not even close that we would come into being, that life period would come into being. Even if life were to come into being to become the species and the different kinds of life that we have today it would have to evolve. Most evolutions hinder or do not effect the organism at all. Very few are for the better (which we would say that our coming into existence would be towards the better end of the spectrum). So the odds are that life would become extinct and have to start all over again. It doesn't work. It's more plausible to believe in an inexplicable God guiding this universe than to believe it all occurred and came into being because of trillions upon trillions of coincidences.

    There is no such thing as coincidence.

    Therefore, I choose to believe in providence.

    Ohhh, and I never read any book on the Higgs Particle.
    I like this.

  5. #55
    Senior Member Into It's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    Possibly. In more ways than not Intelligent Design of some sort is more probable and more believable. The simplest solution is more times than not the right one.

    1I find it easier to believe in an all powerful endless God than in something from nothing.

    From a somewhat objective point of view a creator could have made the big bang. Either way, we never throughout all of science can come up with how the universe originated. The big bang cannot work simply because matter (a form of energy) cannot be created or destroyed. It's possible that that matter was always there stretching throughout time into eternity past. However, it's not probable. If it was there throughout eternity past what changed, that it would expand at such an enormous rate? 2Even with time on it's side the chances are not even close that we would come into being, that life period would come into being. Even if life were to come into being to become the species and the different kinds of life that we have today it would have to evolve. Most evolutions hinder or do not effect the organism at all. Very few are for the better (which we would say that our coming into existence would be towards the better end of the spectrum). So the odds are that life would become extinct and have to start all over again. It doesn't work. It's more plausible to believe in an inexplicable God guiding this universe than to believe it all occurred and came into being because of trillions upon trillions of coincidences.

    There is no such thing as coincidence.

    Therefore, I choose to believe in providence.
    1.I wouldn't claim something from nothing. I would only claim that we don't have enough evidence yet to talk about this beginning with any certainty.

    2.Actually, with infinite time on its side, not only would our "unlikely" existence be possible, it would be inevitable. And so would every other possibility we could fathom, and then some.
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

  6. #56
    Senior Member Eagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post
    1.I wouldn't claim something from nothing. I would only claim that we don't have enough evidence yet to talk about this beginning with any certainty.

    2.Actually, with infinite time on its side, not only would our "unlikely" existence be possible, it would be inevitable. And so would every other possibility we could fathom, and then some.
    Mhmmm, we are always driven to think of things as in having a beginning. We are always moved as a individuals to search for meaning. More facts that I can claim that support my views but they can very easily be explained or reasoned away. I don't want to appear as if to be grasping for straws when I need not.
    - Caleb

    "I am what I need to be..."

    "Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."

  7. #57
    Senior Member Into It's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    Ohhh, and I never read any book on the Higgs Particle.
    That's a helpful addition to your post, thank you. It was worth mentioning that I read the book he was referring to so that he would know my words were coming from the same knowledge base that he had. I understand now that you wouldn't do the same.
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

  8. #58
    Senior Member Eagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post
    That's a helpful addition to your post, thank you. It was worth mentioning that I read the book he was referring to so that he would know my words were coming from the same knowledge base that he had. I understand now that you wouldn't do the same.
    I don't have a book. I have have a library that I should at some point make an attempt to get to. And lots of magazines such as national geographic. Along with a moderate interest and background in the sciences.
    - Caleb

    "I am what I need to be..."

    "Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."

  9. #59
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    I believe in a higher order and purpose that is beyond my comprehension. Is this God? If not, I don't know what else is.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  10. #60
    DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    Hype
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    I don't understand the necessity of this distinction - why would I feel compelled to force the concept of divinity into some linguistic compacting such as "a God"? Why can't I believe in many Gods? Or maybe Many Gods underneath a supreme, whole "one" God? If the latter, then why talk about just "a God" ? That makes no sense to me.

    Do you wanna know what I believe? I believe that if I believe in God, and if I believe that the descriptions of God that are given to me as such ARE TRUE, there's more than "one God" - or at least, there are "spheres" of God that we can describe as being MULTIPLE. Hence we need more than A God.

    If i'm not mistaken, Christianity does just this!! You don't need "a God", you need many and you need them badly.

    Besides, why would I believe in A God when I can believe in ALL GODS?!? The latter is much more amusing, trust me Ever see Zeus play a prank on St Peter? I have. It was pretty violent for a prank, but it got laughs from the onlooking angels.

Similar Threads

  1. Do you believe in the Efficient Market Theory?
    By Gamine in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-20-2009, 04:28 PM
  2. Do you believe in hope without despair?
    By Zrenn in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 01-27-2009, 09:45 PM
  3. Do you believe in natural rights?
    By Kiddo in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-26-2008, 01:27 PM
  4. Do you believe in a higher power?
    By ygolo in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-03-2007, 08:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO