User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe in a God?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

29 46.03%
  • No

34 53.97%
First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I guess I am agnostic... I don't really know how anyone can prove or disprove the existence of gods or goddesses at this point in time, it all seems like baseless faith to me.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And there was no big bang.

Things are not exploding away from each other, rather it is space that is expanding.

And if there was a big bang it would have started from a point. However wherever you stand in the universe, it appears the big band started from there.

Sothe big bang is entirely a fraud.

2And this fraud has become so popular because it confirms the religious view of a Creator - for if there was a big bang, there must have been a Creator to light the fuse and whoop! here we are.
    And the gullible believe in the big bang for the same reason they believe in MBTI - because it suits their preconceptions.

3Gosh, the big bang and MBTI seem so intuitive. But the problem is that apart from the tiny part of the universe we inhabit, the rest of the universe, the very small and the very big, is counter-intuitive.

3The intuitive have never cottoned on to this and in their desperation are taken in by any nostrum that comes along.
    This hurts my eyes. The fact that everything appears to be exploding away from the point it is viewed at is not a reason that the big bang is entirely a fraud. In fact it is evidence of an explosion, that is, if you accept Newton's Laws. If you don't think that an object is at rest until it is set in motion, that's okay I guess. If you don't think that objects will remain in motion until acted upon by another force, I guess I can accept that. But the fact that everything is expanding away from everything else is proof that a force acted upon them. It only means that the expansion must be viewed on a three dimensional plane - When I saw Hawking speak he explained it as a balloon inflating. If you draw dots on a balloon and blow it up, each dot will get farther away from every other dot. Surprise! We live in a three-dimensional universe!

2.This is a huge leap of intuition that has no grounding in reality and I cannot understand how you could make this assertion. The fact that something exploded necessarily means that a sentient being, the "Creator," made this happen? What? Let's break this down.

A long time ago, a lot of matter moved for reasons scientifically unexplained as of yet. Anything past this point is speculation, and it provides no evidence for any sort of "Creator." All it means is that the universe DID begin. Anything else is pure speculation. And as far as I have seen, most proponents of the Big Bang Theory don't use it as any evidence for God. The theory adds up well. What's yours?

3.I'm intuitive. And my gut says you're full of shit.
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

Default Blackmail and Canberra

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    Where's Blackmail! when we need him?
    I ask myself the same question.

For our dear Blackmail is a Landscape Architect as is the very person who designed the city I am sitting in.

My city, Canberra, the Capital of Australia, was designed from a God's eye view, with the eye of a Landscape Architect.

There are some here who describe God as an Architect, and others who go further and describe God as a Landscape Architect.

But whoever is right, Canberra is a designer city, designed by the great Landscape Architect, Walter Burley Griffin.

And just as God cast His eye over Canberra, our Landscape Architect cast his eye as well - and some can't tell the difference - both saw Canberra from a God's eye view - and created a garden city.

And they created a city in the Bush - we call the Bush Capital, or in our inimitable Aussie way, "A good sheep paddock ruined".

But our favourite living Landscape Architect, our very own Blackmail, is a simple modest atheist who does the work of God without the fanfare.

And fortunately it was a Landscape Architect, quite like Blackmail, who created this little corner of heaven.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI

Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post
    This hurts my eyes. The fact that everything appears to be exploding away from the point it is viewed at is not a reason that the big bang is entirely a fraud. In fact it is evidence of an explosion, that is, if you accept Newton's Laws. If you don't think that an object is at rest until it is set in motion, that's okay I guess. If you don't think that objects will remain in motion until acted upon by another force, I guess I can accept that. But the fact that everything is expanding away from everything else is proof that a force acted upon them. It only means that the expansion must be viewed on a three dimensional plane - When I saw Hawking speak he explained it as a balloon inflating. If you draw dots on a balloon and blow it up, each dot will get farther away from every other dot. Surprise! We live in a three-dimensional universe!

2.This is a huge leap of intuition that has no grounding in reality and I cannot understand how you could make this assertion. The fact that something exploded necessarily means that a sentient being, the "Creator," made this happen? What? Let's break this down.

A long time ago, a lot of matter moved for reasons scientifically unexplained as of yet. Anything past this point is speculation, and it provides no evidence for any sort of "Creator." All it means is that the universe DID begin. Anything else is pure speculation. And as far as I have seen, most proponents of the Big Bang Theory don't use it as any evidence for God. The theory adds up well. What's yours?

3.I'm intuitive. And my gut says you're full of shit.

Ok then... Until we officially know more the big bang theory is just a theory. In fact if it is true until something else enters the picture we shouldn't exist. The big bang would have created equal amounts of matter and anti-matter. Therefore if it's true we shouldn't exist. However, current day scientists are looking for the Higgs particle which would prove inversely that there is a Higgs field, which would explain why we even exist if the theory is true. What's another term that the Higgs particle is called? Answer, the GOD particle.
    - Caleb

"I am what I need to be..."

"Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."

Banned

My city, Canberra, the Capital of Australia, was designed from a God's eye view, with the eye of a Landscape Architect.
    Small world. My anthropology adviser is from Canberra. Got his PhD from ANU.

Carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post
    And my gut says you're full of shit.
    You may well be right about me.

However you are not right about the science.

You have just repeated the popular misconceptions about science. Just as you repeat and keep on repeating the popular misconceptions about MBTI.

And if you keep this up, you will become popular.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    Answer, the GOD particle.
    I read that book too. And I can accept a "God Particle." But Victor was claiming that the Big Bang theory "confirms the religious view of a creator," which is nonsense. A Particle is not the "creator" that he refers to.

MBTI
    ENFP

You may well be right about me.

1However you are not right about the science.

2You have just repeated the popular misconceptions about science. Just as you repeat and keep on repeating the popular misconceptions about MBTI.
    3And if you keep this up, you will become popular.
    1.I did my research believing that those esteemed the greatest scientific minds were satisfactory people to learn from. To me, it appears to add up well. I suppose instead of Hawking and Lederman, I should have been learning from you.

2.I read because I want to know. Teach me what is real.

3.That's great, I must be an Enneagram 9 then.

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    Small world. My anthropology adviser is from Canberra. Got his PhD from ANU.

Carry on...
    Yes, the Australian National University (ANU) is a beautiful University beside Black Mountain and Lake Burley Griffin with Sullivan's creek running through it.

I fell in love there just as I fell in love with the University.

And somehow whenever I enter the University, I feel welcome and somehow there is something beautiful, mysterious and mystical that keeps bringing me back again and again.

Nope. But, I'm sure he had a son.