Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post
    I do not understand this logic.

"Something is better than nothing because it is something."

So...cancer is better than not cancer? Something vs. Nothing is not the same as Positive vs. Negative when dealing with "everything."

Eventually, I will quit debating you because this comes down to our differing opinions which will not - and have no reason to - be changed. But humor me.
    Hah, no. Not quite what I meant there.

Nothing as in absolute nothing. As in none existing completely.
    Not any form of partial nothing.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Heart: I think it differs from person to person, and everyone just needs to find their own way I suppose. But for me the saying has never failed me. For both physical and emotional pain. There isn't anything I can not feed on in some way, some form. Every experience is one that counts for me, as minor as it may be.
    I am certainly not trying to tell you, your own experience. I am just saying that I don't agree that chronic pain always leads to personal development or has any purpose. (To me that's sort of magical thinking to try and see purpose in random, medical suffering).

Emotional pain usually can learned from, we can learn from mistakes when we've done something to bring an emotional situation on ourselves.

But many times physical pain and suffering has no reason. Like I have a female relative who has RA, she's fatigued and in pain all the time and it holds her back from the things she wants to do and she feels deep emotional pain about what that does to her life and to the people around her. I see nothing in the situation making her stronger, the pain makes her weaker. It takes her out of her life. She has no choice but to try and move forward but still it's there sapping her all the time.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Nothing as in not existant scares the crap out of me. It's the absolute worst ever.
    Being anything is always better than being nothing for me.

My main drive is to learn and experience new things. To develop myself. To be able to do so in any way is prefered to not being able to do so at all.

It's not on the horizon, but I'm not aversed to the idea either. :P
    It's only scary when you percieve it as such. So tell me honestly, starting from fifty years ago, were the last thirteen billion years really so bad? They couldn't have been. They couldn't have been good either.

But if you're not afraid of pain, why are you afraid of neutrality?
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

A very regretable story. A friend of mine also suffers from a chronic disease. MS. The strength she showed when I was still little inspired me greatly though.

So, even though the disease seems to have no reason, no good effects. In her case, it seemed to have a positive effect on me. In the form of respect and inspiration. I don't mean this in any bad way. I'm just saying, sometimes things do not appear as they truely are.

I'm not justifying such diseases in any way. But I wouldn't go as far as saying there is no point at all to them. There are many things from which we can sap strength. But in the end it is up to the individual and it is not something someone else can help you with.

That said, it is not a perfect world. And I for one am not unhappy about that.

It's only scary when you percieve it as such. So tell me honestly, starting from fifty years ago, were the last thirteen billion years really so bad? They couldn't have been. They couldn't have been good either.

But if you're not afraid of pain, why are you afraid of neutrality?
    Yes they were bad as I did not exist in them. I understand we do not see eye to eye but I get the feeling you're just trying to mock me now. I clearly said that non existance is not a form of neutrality to me. It's clear in every one of my posts. In how many words should I say that anything is prefered for me over nothing. No matter what that anything is. Because nothing gets me nowhere, nothing gives me jack all.

I can say it in about 1000 more ways if I could be arsed. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    1I don't agree that chronic pain always leads to personal development or has any purpose. (To me that's sort of magical thinking to try and see purpose in random, medical suffering).

2But many times physical pain and suffering has no reason.
    1.I'm right with you. If an NF can see through it, NTs should certainly be able to (NFs have been known to apply meaning randomly).

2.Maybe we can agree that pain applied to the self intentionally and purposefully will lead to growth. So many monks fasted unt they are not hungry - stand in the heat until their blisters no longer burn. Someone who proceeds with these kinds of rituals purposefully would surely end up stronger than some suburban whitey like me.
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post
    1.I'm right with you. If an NF can see through it, NTs should certainly be able to (NFs have been known to apply meaning randomly).

2.Maybe we can agree that pain applied to the self intentionally and purposefully will lead to growth. So many monks fasted unt they are not hungry - stand in the heat until their blisters no longer burn. Someone who proceeds with these kinds of rituals purposefully would surely end up stronger than some suburban whitey like me.
    Yes, a very good point. But when I think about it for a moment here, building up strength in fasting is usually easiest for those with strong adernal glands and a good functioning liver. Helps their systems get used to doing without and allows for cleansing of blood etc. Yet imagine a type I diabetic fasting like that? Or someone with a Hep C? Probably not going to strengthen them.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    If there's anything worse than death, then what's worse than death? Why is it worse than death?

Discuss.

Sitting Still!?!?!?!

Arrrrrggghhh!!!!!!

Muthafuookahhhhh!!!!

If there's anything worse than death, then what's worse than death? Why is it worse than death?

Discuss.
    I'd imagine having your testicles chopped off would be close.

MBTI
    INTJ

Discuss.
    Suffering can be worse than death.

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Keanu Reeves reruns.

Hm, I'd have to say anything that would put you in the permanent position where you could not affect the world in any way, which includes things like solitary confinement, or any medical disease that would allow you to be aware but be unable to communicate.

In general, any permanent, unchanging situation would probably do it for me.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]