User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Why isn't it worth all that pain, if the alternative equals nothing?

Nada, zip, niantes!

To me it just seems worth it.

90 years of pain is something
    death is nothing
    Suppose I die in the first few seconds. I would be none the wiser
    Every thought I had in those 90 years would be like a blessing to me.

I don't really expect you or anyone else to understand me though. I've always been a rather odd ball when it comes to death. :P
    Fluffy, isn't nothing just nothing? How can null be worse than anything? It's just not being. If being involves unending pain it' seems that not being is a better choice. Why is this non-existence such a terrible thing?

(On a related note, with a drive to survive like that I do hope you'll reproduce at some point )

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Nothing as in not existant scares the crap out of me. It's the absolute worst ever.

Being anything is always better than being nothing for me.

My main drive is to learn and experience new things. To develop myself. To be able to do so in any way is prefered to not being able to do so at all.

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post

(On a related note, with a drive to survive like that I do hope you'll reproduce at some point )
    It's not on the horizon, but I'm not aversed to the idea either. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

In response to juggernaut: I think how negative 'nothingness' is is personal and subjective. It can just as easily be asked, "How does being nothing at all compare to existing?" We have life in the first place to exist. Why bother with anything if not-existing sounds like such a promising aspect?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    In response to juggernaut: I think how negative 'nothingness' is is personal and subjective. It can just as easily be asked, "How does being nothing at all compare to existing?" We have life in the first place to exist. Why bother with anything if not-existing sounds like such a promising aspect?

I don't see not existing as a promising prospect. I don't see it as anything at all. It's like God for me, there's nothing there. An absence of everything is neither good nor bad. Those designations only apply to things that have an existence. Once I'm dead, "Monica" will cease to exist in any manner (well except as fertilizer of course..but I don't think that will be the same as the animate me).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Oh, I don't see pain as bad.

I have a firm grasp of good and evil. No worries. But for me pain and suffering is a quintessential part of personal development. In fact, the most horrible experiences in my life are amongst the ones that made the most positive impact on me in terms of personal development.

However, I'm not interested in teaching people through such methods. And I'm not masochistic either. I've just been good at dealing with pain in the past. Both emotional and physical. But everyone will have their own way of dealing with such things. And this happens to be mine.

So for me, in terms of good and bad. Existing is good. Not existing is bad.

Banned

I certainly agree that suffering is an essential part of being fully alive. Nevertheless, if suffering is a good thing then perhaps it's not genuinely pain or not pain of the sort that would be truly unendurable. If you're still seeing a light at the end of the tunnel then you probably haven't reached your limit. Once you reach the limit, real pain begins and that may not be something that looks better than nothing.

Not trying to be difficult here, just trying to understand the badness of non-existence. I sometimes feel a pang of melancholia when I think of the things I would miss if I were no longer here, but once I no longer exist then that won't matter anymore because I will not feel anything at all. What do you see when you see non-existence?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quadraplegic.
    Extremes: Need To Pursue

I like my cars fast, my music loud, and my women even faster and louder!

heart on fire

General thoughts, veering away from the thread topic:

I've dealt with chronic pain and such. I don't think it made me stronger or more personally developed than anyone else. It would be nice to think it did, it would give a reason and purpose for it and eliminate some of the sense of "why?", but really many times it's just something a person moves through because they have no other choice but to move forward. I don't always believe the line: "That which does not kill us makes us stronger" It can be true and it can be false depending on the person and the situation.

One may well find the limits of their own personal strength through suffering but one does not always grow tougher for having suffered. It's like a distortion to try and apply this to human nature accross the board.

Different physiologies will have different reactions to pain and the situation of the person who suffers will also bear on how well they struggle with it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

What do you see when you see non-existence?
    Nothing. No space, No blackness, no thoughts, no meaning, no purpose, no reason, no identity, no value.

Not even a cold, dark place.

It's hard to imagine nothing (Well, it's basicly impossible) but it is not impossible to extrapolate a meaning from it.

Heart: I think it differs from person to person, and everyone just needs to find their own way I suppose. But for me the saying has never failed me. For both physical and emotional pain. There isn't anything I can not feed on in some way, some form. Every experience is one that counts for me, as minor as it may be.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Why isn't it worth all that pain, if the alternative equals nothing?

Nada, zip, niantes!

To me it just seems worth it.

90 years of pain is something
    death is nothing
    I do not understand this logic.

"Something is better than nothing because it is something."

So...cancer is better than not cancer? Something vs. Nothing is not the same as Positive vs. Negative when dealing with "everything."

Eventually, I will quit debating you because this comes down to our differing opinions which will not - and have no reason to - be changed. But humor me.
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"