User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Isn't the obvious answer to this eternal life without eternal youth?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Not really, old age will eventually wear down the brain, self awareness leaving alltogether. Which is the same as death, by my standards.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Death is fine. Dying is not. The process of dying is one that I dread. I don't know if a long slow painful death is worse than one that happens instantaneously. In a long one, you suffer physically. In a short one, you are unprepared (not like it matters when you're dead, but the thought of it bothers me.) Either way, there is nothing worse in my eyes than dying. But I'm ok with being dead.

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Death is fine. Dying is not. The process of dying is one that I dread. I don't know if a long slow painful death is worse than one that happens instantaneously. In a long one, you suffer physically. In a short one, you are unprepared (not like it matters when you're dead, but the thought of it bothers me.) Either way, there is nothing worse in my eyes than dying. But I'm ok with being dead.
    i agree. i can imagine exactly how unpleasant it would be to suddenly not be able to breathe anymore.

also, boredom. i would pick death over boredom, even though i seldom experience it these days.
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I can think of several fates worse than death which include, but are not limited to, having 75% of your body burned to the point that you're almost constantly in pain and being kept alive only on machines and morphine, being raped and tortured repeatedly over a long period of time, and being so old that everyone that you once loved is dead or has moved away and you're physically and mentally declining and left to rot in a nursing home where you aren't being properly cared for. I think I'd take death over those, but yeah, otherwise death is pretty bad - or rather, dying. It's the dying that scares me, not the death.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    For me, no.

Death for me is to cease existing. Anything existing is better than death.

Now, I have never been tortured so this is hypothetical. But I think I would be able to take any form of non lethal torture without wishing to die. I would even prefer eternal suffering over the notion of not existing.

So, If you were say...on fire...and the flames could not be extinguished...this would be a preferable state to those awful many years before you were born? You really thought they were that bad? Or am I misunderstanding you?

In response to the OP, off the top of my head, I can think of one thing worse than death/dying, and that's death dying.

The inability to rest...it's a horrific thought. That's why the universe is so wonderful...It is inclined to produce various forms of consciousness, various eyes with which to view itself, and it expands infinitely (I believe this is the most likely theory), and consciousness itself may never perish, while the individual vehicles may.

In Plato's "Apology of Socrates," Socrates says that he would not ask for any punishment other than death, because was not guilty of the crimes of which he was accused, and it would be senseless to ask for an evil when death may not be an evil at all. He said to ask any kind of person from anywhere to recount his most peaceful times, and nights of wonderful, deep sleep would be counted highly among them. For this reason, if death is simply oblivion, then compared to the how we live, death would be "an unspeakable gain."

If you think about this a lot and would like some good reading on it, I recommend "The Last Days of Socrates" by Plato. There are interesting words on death by one of our great thinkers, as he sits in his cell after condemnation and speaks with his closest friends.
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Even eternal life WITH eternal youth is a horrific prospect. Within a hundred trillion years or so, you will have learned all that you can learn... within the next 2^100,000,000,000,000 years or so, you will become bored. After that...I dread the thought.

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post
    Even eternal life WITH eternal youth is a horrific prospect. Within a hundred trillion years or so, you will have learned all that you can learn... within the next 2^100,000,000,000,000 years or so, you will become bored. After that...I dread the thought.
    you really don't understand the concept of infinity, do you?
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Sentura View Post
    you really don't understand the concept of infinity, do you?
    Maybe I don't. Explain it to me, please.

But keep in mind, if motion exists in infinity, then time can be measured.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nadir View Post
    Why is there a presupposition that death is something bad? I'll humor you, though. I think pain is worse. At least from a biological perspective, pain is a feast for your nervous system, and it doesn't even feel any good. You don't need to worry about any of that once you die.
    An interesting mindset, and one totally opposite of my own.

I don't know if I agree with it, I think that pain is a temporary thing.. and I don't think temporary things need permanent solutions, when speaking on the subject of mortality and pain. Pain is a part of life, and disliking the experiences of life would suggest one to assume death is better.

When I die, I will die. I do not hope for it, pray for it, or seek it actively. I do this all for life, and my on-going quest of life keeps me from slowing down to experience the aspect of death. I'll ponder on it when I am well and ready to... When I am in pain, when I am distressed, starving, poor, and broken.. death is the last thing that enters my mind. It is survival, life, and the ability to be breathing long enough to fix the pain that presents itself. Death is not a fix for pain, death is a fix for life, imo. Pleasure is the opposite of pain.. so I would seek pleasure when I am in pain.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge