User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Why do we live? Because we have motivation to live. Negative motivations do not count. They eventually expire as in your case. People need positive motivation, some sort of goal to work towards. Just the act of working toward a goal, even if it is never fulfilled, is all one needs.

imo
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

- Costrin

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Into It my friend,

..here...Listen to him..Watch this. He talks about death. He had cancer.

"Death is a useful, but purely intellectual concept. No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven...don't want to die to get there. And yet, death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is..as it should be. Because death is very likely the single best invention of life. It's life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now, the new is you. But someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it's quite true. Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma, which is living the results of other peoples' thinking. Don't let the noise of others opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition...They somehow already know..what you truly want to become. Everything else..is secondary."
    -S. Jobs

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1R-jKKp3NA"]YouTube - Steve Jobs Stanford Commencement Speech 2005[/YOUTUBE]
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

MBTI
    INTJ

Make sure you don't try to commit suicide in China... in case you reconsider.

Would-be jumper gets 'helping' hand
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INTJ

If it's any consolation Into It, suicidal-dog shares your sentiments:

Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I comprehend and sympathize completely. I've thought about all of this myself. May you have a pleasant afterlife, friend.

I'm sure I'll join you sooner or later. Mors vincit omnia.
    I appreciate your sentiments.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    What, is this guy kidding??
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Have you ever just sat at the top of a hill and watched the sunset, and just thought about why you started feeling that way? Life is something that is incomprehensible, but don't give up on it so easily. Your story will end someday, but.. 1not now. Pain is only one facet of life, and 2avoiding pain is not the only reason we exist.
    I do believe that seeking pleasure drives all our motivation. As cold is merely the absence of heat, we seek pleasure to avoid pain- one type of pain that is a huge motivator is boredom. But pleasure seeking/pain avoidance, I think it is ambiguous. This is also in response to your comment, Jennifer.

1.No, not now.

2."Purpose" is an invention. It is subjective. So while my life has purpose to me, and to those I know, I doubt a greater purpose than this exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Make sure you don't try to commit suicide in China... in case you reconsider.

Would-be jumper gets 'helping' hand
    I read that article yesterday. Turns out, (for those who haven't read it), he was pushed off of a bridge on to an inflatable mattress that the police set up. Not worth going to jail for, imo.
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Why do we live? Because we have motivation to live. Negative motivations do not count. They eventually expire as in your case. People need positive motivation, some sort of goal to work towards. Just the act of working toward a goal, even if it is never fulfilled, is all one needs.imo
    The pain of work is overshadowed by the psychic pleasure of knowing that you are working toward a goal, so this 'work' is actually a pleasure seeking behavior, which I do believe is synonymous with 'pain avoiding.' Also, the word for that kind of pleasure, as opposed to kinetic, is katasystemic, (just learned that word yesterday) but I'm sure you already knew that, you old INTP, you!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post
    The pain of work is overshadowed by the psychic pleasure of knowing that you are working toward a goal, so this 'work' is actually a pleasure seeking behavior, which I do believe is synonymous with 'pain avoiding.' Also, the word for that kind of pleasure, as opposed to kinetic, is katasystemic, (just learned that word yesterday) but I'm sure you already knew that, you old INTP, you!
    Yeah you could say it's the same thing, but it's really not relevant. What is relevant is the mindset. But it'll never be proven to you by theorizing, just gotta go out and do it. Nothing to lose, everything to gain, eh?
    - Costrin

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

You talk about death being an 'escape' from pain - you're basically seeking relief. That is entirely it.

... Now, how on earth are you going to 'feel' that relief from the pain of existence given you're 'gone'?

Haven't most people gone through pain and suffering, do just about anything to humble themselves to help each other?

... And what exactly do you mean "I will kill myself"? Sounds pretty much ambigious, given you have not specified where or when.

I would think you have a chance in life, still. Death is inevitable for everybody, and it is that that brings about our ideologies, and 'schools' our morals, however you view it... even that it is 'subjective' to the individual. You are certainly not alone.

... Don't do it, it's not worth it.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    You talk about death being an 'escape' from pain - you're basically seeking relief. That is entirely it.

... Now, how on earth are you going to 'feel' that relief from the pain of existence given you're 'gone'?

Haven't most people gone through pain and suffering, do just about anything to humble themselves to help each other?

2... And what exactly do you mean "I will kill myself"? Sounds pretty much ambigious, given you have not specified where or when.
    I would think you have a chance in life, still. Death is inevitable for everybody, and it is that that brings about our ideologies, and 'schools' our morals, however you view it... even that it is 'subjective' to the individual. You are certainly not alone.

... Don't do it, it's not worth it.
    1.Yes, for most people, suicide is an escape from pain. I pity that situation. But how would one "notice" the escape from pain? Doesn't matter. Schopenhauer says one makes the decision when "the terrors of life outweigh the terrors of death." Personally, I would hope my suicide would not be an escape from pain. I would like to endure as much pain as I possibly could take, because defeating pain raises your potential. I have considered suicide when I was at a point of great psychological pain and grief. Even then, it was only a thought in passing, and I was not in as much pain as I would have needed to be to carry it out at that time. I would greatly prefer my death to take place at a high point in my life.

2.Yeah, I really wish that I could edit the thread name at this point. The best I can do is add a disclaimer to the OP.