User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INTJ

Love is a soup of phenethylamines. If you find any place other than your brain with as many trace and biogenic amines, the DEA will jump up your ass.

Love is probably a schedule III substance.
    Aleph-One, you look like the kind of person who would spend his spare time building a giant robot to hold the government for ransom. -Some Guy on the Internet

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    I'm not quite sure why you posted this lengthy response to my tongue-in-cheek post. Can you clarify?
    You said that you thought that love came from the ego.

I suspect that like all of natural selection that the better the bond between the nurturing mother and the infant the more likely the survival of the infant and thus those mutations that helped this bonding became part of the gene pool.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by coberst View Post
    I suspect that like all of natural selection that the better the bond between the nurturing mother and the infant the more likely the survival of the infant and thus those mutations that helped this bonding became part of the gene pool.
    Errrrm, not so much. Natural selection applies to all living things but maternal bonding is necessary only in cases where the juvenile period is fairly long, such as in case of large-brained mammals. Sharks, bacteria, snakes, plants, etc. (you get the general picture) don't require a maternal bond for survival. Any mutation that gives a creature an advantage in its environment will persist. Maternal bonding would be bad news for many living things.

Also, I'm not sure that all love is reducible to maternal bonding. Pair bonding is just as important in humans, and it generally needs to occur prior to reproduction. I think that's why there are different kinds of love relationships, and different chemical processes involved in them. The maternal/infant bond is built, first and foremost, on oxytocin (this is one of the reasons breast-feeding is so important...it creates a tsunami of oxytocin) while pair bond-bonding relies on the crack-like chemicals Jenocyde and Aleph mentioned.