User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESFj

Default Why do we not want those we care about to do drugs?

I have a friend who uses pills recreationally. Maybe once a week. I don't think there's anything morally wrong with it. I don't have a logical reason for not wanting him to do drugs anymore but I FEEL like I wish he would stop. Why is that?
    E - 79% I - 21%
    S - 53% N - 47%
    T - 32% F - 68%
    J - 32% P - 68%

ESFP

Oberon

My wife has been taking prescription meds for anxiety. I laughingly pointed out one day that she'd get better efficacy and fewer side effects by just smoking a joint once a day.

The primary downside would be the illegality and its associated risks, and for that reason we never seriously pursued it.

We're a conservative church-going couple in our 40s, but we've known too many perfectly functional dope-smokers to get all uptight about a little Mary Jane.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Maybe you think it is potentially dangerous. No matter how small the potential, the fact that your friend is putting himself in "danger" can be upsetting. (Or in danger due to the illegality).

Maybe you feel it takes him away from his "true self" (the person you became friends with)- the person who you respect, in favor of an altered self.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Karen - drugs alter a person. When you MUST take medication and it alters you, then that's one thing. But recreational drugs? I don't like it when I'm dealing with a person I know and care about, but it's an altered version of them. Drugs take your power away. They diminish your true self. Plus they frequently hurt people - recreational drugs are hard on your body and you should be treating your body with respect. Drugs make people do humiliating things to themselves and their families.

That goes for alcohol, cigarettes, etc.

I was in love with someone who was shackled to drugs and I could see it in his eyes what a prison it was. It controlled him.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Because he could die of an overdose.

My father was a drug addict and it ruined his life. I never knew him well because my mother had the sense to keep me away from him after they divorced when I was a baby. He beat her while she was pregnant with me. While they were married, my father actually earned a living as a musician. By the time he died prematurely in his 50's, he was living in his elderly mother's basement.

One of my sisters also had a drug problem, and my entire family had to physically tackle her to get her into rehab...repeatedly. She refused to take care of her children properly and began to look like a cancer patient. She's finally sober now, but it took the effort of people who loved her to get her back to herself.

I think I've had more experience with drugs than some people. I recall having to end a friendship with someone I cared about very much because she was addicted to heroin and began stealing from me.

Even alcohol can become a serious problem as most people know. To believe that prescription pills can't eventually become as bad as alcohol or street drugs is naiive.

I usually look the other way when someone I'm acquainted with does drugs recreationally. But when I notice it become a serious habit, I want them to stop, because I have no illusions about drugs.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Karen - drugs alter a person. When you MUST take medication and it alters you, then that's one thing. But recreational drugs? I don't like it when I'm dealing with a person I know and care about, but it's an altered version of them. Drugs take your power away. They diminish your true self. Plus they frequently hurt people - recreational drugs are hard on your body and you should be treating your body with respect. Drugs make people do humiliating things to themselves and their families.

I was in love with someone who was shackled to drugs and I could see it in his eyes what a prison it was. It controlled him.
    That's pretty much true of any drug except marijuana.

Not that it's impossible to get carried away and spend too much time on it; it's just that the negative effects are just negligible enough that lots of people smoke recreationally and are still, as oberon said, perfectly functional.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Dunno, Sim... pot can wreck your lungs and make you paranoid.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Dunno, Sim... pot can wreck your lungs and make you paranoid.
    Pot is bad for your lungs, but so are cigarettes. Marijuana should be legal (for adults), in my opinion. It does less damage than alcohol and simply cannot be compared to other illegal substances.

I agree that smoking pot can be taken to an extreme by some people, but so can drinking beer. The difference is that people who drink beer to an extreme excess cause a lot more car accidents and die of alcohol poisoning much more quickly.

MBTI
    ISFJ

I think you are blowing it a bit out of proportion there Piranha. Junk food can also harm your body...in fact, everything done in excess can harm ones body. As with everything in life, being balanced and responsible about it is very important, of course. But having fun is no sin.

I basically agree with Colors' post in terms of a possible reasons why you wouldn't want loved us to be doing drugs.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    My wife has been taking prescription meds for anxiety. I laughingly pointed out one day that she'd get better efficacy and fewer side effects by just smoking a joint once a day.

The primary downside would be the illegality and its associated risks, and for that reason we never seriously pursued it.

We're a conservative church-going couple in our 40s, but we've known too many perfectly functional dope-smokers to get all uptight about a little Mary Jane.
    Actually if your wife suffers from anxiety marijuana could trigger panic attacks. It causes paranoia and anxiety in some people. I wouldn't mess with it if she's already on a scrip.