• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My Religion

sundowning

MBTI Type
ISTP
Has anyone read my essay in the OP yet?

I did.

I take issue with a couple of minor things, but overall I agree (at least with general intent) with your two main assertions on arbitrary power and self responsibility. They seem to take on an existential cant, from what little I know on the subject.

That said, you seem to be relatively blithe about the concept of god itself; important only in how the idea has been used to promote certain social contexts.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Nietzsche is preaching the opposite of self-abnegation. He is saying that meaning in life could be found through glorification of the ID.

You've well identified my thesis: meaning in life can only be found through genuine reflection.

You're right that the second dogma is slightly redundant, so it is more a supplemental statement to the first than a maxim in itself.

Meaning in life by indulging your wants and desires vs introspection. Does that not seem like a S/N approach? Finding meaning in life by experiencing what's filtered through your senses as oppose to reaching inside your mind. On the surface, giving into your base desires seems like nonsense, but is there truth beneath it?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Meaning in life by indulging your wants and desires vs introspection. Does that not seem like a S/N approach? Finding meaning in life by experiencing what's filtered through your senses as oppose to reaching inside your mind. On the surface, giving into your base desires seems like nonsense, but is there truth beneath it?

Well base desires is probably not an appropriate way to look at it. He argues that we all have two drives in life, for power and fear.

We have to work on making ourselves as powerful as possible by actualizing your potential. This may be rendered difficult by you indulging in base pleasures, do Nietzsche might advocate against that.

Chaselation

MBTI Type
INTP
I read it. I agree with most of it. It is congruent with most of my own personal philosophy. I'm still purging myself of much of the dogma I was fed for the thirteen years of Catholic schooling.

The power of religion or church applies to society in general. The newer faith of popular media yields as much power (perhaps more) and is attracting even more of the mindless sheep. The message given is not one I want for my children.

To my question: As much as I questioned most of Catholic teaching and discarded most of it. It was the catalyst I needed to form my own opinions. What would replace traditional religion to provoke existential thought? I would have likely asked these questions of myself devoid of any outside influence but not likely to such an extent and probably not to a much later age. There are many who would never ask these questions and would be left without any moral compass. Religion even in it's sickening state is the only current forum that even resembles philosophy.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
To my question: As much as I questioned most of Catholic teaching and discarded most of it. It was the catalyst I needed to form my own opinions. What would replace traditional religion to provoke existential thought? I would have likely asked these questions of myself devoid of any outside influence but not likely to such an extent and probably not to a much later age. There are many who would never ask these questions and would be left without any moral compass. Religion even in it's sickening state is the only current forum that even resembles philosophy.

Perhaps look at common themes behind various religions? Derive from those values that you personally find meaningful? From that establish your own sense of what religion should be.

Question... if we're defining religion as such, what's the difference between it and spirtuality? Or am I just mixing unrelated terminologies together?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
RaptorWizard's responce to SolitaryWalker's My Religion thread:

My religion, should I invent a good one, will chart the course for eternal life, world peace, universal enlightenment, and ultimate power. I do not expect the ideal visions for these lofty goals to be fully accomplished while I am here. I have not even discovered the directions we should follow to walk the ways in search of our destiny. This time may prove to be the most critical moment in human history that there ever was or will be, as the actions we take now will effect whether we start the fires of our own destruction, or expand to spheres beyond the terrestrial in an epic ascension to the heavens. I will wish now for a future sparkling with stars and rainbows dancing and singing with life.

I cleave the heavens and soar to the infinite.
And while I rise from my own globe to others
And penetrate ever further through the eternal field,
That which others saw from afar, I leave far behind me.
Giordano Bruno (On the Infinite Universe and Worlds, 1584)

:wizfreak:

Lark

necromancer

An Internet forum user who enjoys reviving old, dead threads, just to be an ass. Is eventually banned from forums after causing numerous threads to be closed or deleted. Closely related to n00b and lamer.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=necromancer

I dont think this applies in this instance at all, no one is reviving solitary walkers threads to be an ass they are pretty good threads, I like reading them or rereading them if I've read them before.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It is deeply flattering that after three years of inactivity, my persona retains its small cult-following.