User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: My Religion

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Maybe you werent sure enough to say that you really knew that I was seawolf, perhaps thought that there was about a 55% chance, no more?
    *whacks SW* Give it up!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Maybe you werent sure enough to say that you really knew that I was seawolf, perhaps thought that there was about a 55% chance, no more?
    I was pretty sure you were SeaWolf from the get-go -- although you sounded more articulate and audacious than you've really ever been on INTPc, so I had wondered for a little while if you were really just one of Hustler's sock puppets. But the IP clinched it.

(Besides, the user handle pretty much spelled it out too.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

It took one post for me to verify identification.

MBTI
    INTj

Nope. But you can think that if it makes you feel better.

MBTI
    INTP

I was 90% it was you after reading 10 posts. That or your soul mate had joined. Too bad it wasn't a shewolf for you.

Your use of language is unique and telling.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

For me it was more like a 95% certainty from the first post. But I did run the IP in case someone was doing a very clever imitation of you trying not to seem like yourself.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Has anyone read my essay in the OP yet?

MBTI
    Ape

Has anyone read my essay in the OP yet?
    I shall endeavour to read it tommorow. Looks interesting, thanks for sharing.
    Wyrd is a concept in Anglo-Saxon and Nordic culture roughly corresponding to fate. It is ancestral to Modern English weird, which has acquired a very different meaning.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Here's my nonsensical comments upon reading

''In all writing I love only what is written with blood. Write with blood: and you discover that blood is spirit."
    In other words true religion is about finding truth as it relates to your life. And based on the subjective truth, seek to do good, be altruistic. Although I believe self-abnegation is taking the idea too far.

Thoughts and desires mean nothing without actions, yet action alone does not make an altruist. [I'm not sure how this thought relates though]

"At one point in the scenario a snake crawled into the peasant's mouth; ‘Bite its head off’ insisted Zarathustra, and so he did. And then ‘verily, verily my friend’ thus spoke Zarathustra ‘you’ve over come your life’.
    This reminds me of the snake that eats its tail... it doesn't exactly relate but nonetheless it's symbolic. Overcome your life... synthesis of something new... like the ever-renewal in the snake.

I am not familiar with the philosophy of Nietzsche, but I have to question why nihilism is a bad thing. He saw the church, which has been built upon petty notions of man, as the absurdity that is it. And since the church is religion, it must be removed... Nothing wrong with that belief. As to doing away with religion, is he removing true religion? If religion is only about finding subjective truth and being altruistic, then I argue he did not. That neither of these things require structure to function.

Second dogma... somehow there are points in there that I believe to be redundent. The process of finding personal truth can only occur with free thinking. Spirituality is not about celebrating people, objects or even to high-level beings such as God. It's about celebrating ideas. For example harvest rituals isn't praising autumn, nor the harvest itself... but the MEANING of the harvest. Its significance...

Prophets in life... the true meaning is life is uncomprehendable. Only we can guide ourself through life... so let us act as our own prophets.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Here's my nonsensical comments upon reading

In other words true religion is about finding truth as it relates to your life. And based on the subjective truth, seek to do good, be altruistic. Although I believe self-abnegation is taking the idea too far.

Thoughts and desires mean nothing without actions, yet action alone does not make an altruist. [I'm not sure how this thought relates though]

This reminds me of the snake that eats its tail... it doesn't exactly relate but nonetheless it's symbolic. Overcome your life... synthesis of something new... like the ever-renewal in the snake.

I am not familiar with the philosophy of Nietzsche, but I have to question why nihilism is a bad thing. He saw the church, which has been built upon petty notions of man, as the absurdity that is it. And since the church is religion, it must be removed... Nothing wrong with that belief. As to doing away with religion, is he removing true religion? If religion is only about finding subjective truth and being altruistic, then I argue he did not. That neither of these things require structure to function.

Second dogma... somehow there are points in there that I believe to be redundent. The process of finding personal truth can only occur with free thinking. Spirituality is not about celebrating people, objects or even to high-level beings such as God. It's about celebrating ideas. For example harvest rituals isn't praising autumn, nor the harvest itself... but the MEANING of the harvest. Its significance...

Prophets in life... the true meaning is life is uncomprehendable. Only we can guide ourself through life... so let us act as our own prophets.
    Nietzsche is preaching the opposite of self-abnegation. He is saying that meaning in life could be found through glorification of the ID.

You've well identified my thesis: meaning in life can only be found through genuine reflection.

You're right that the second dogma is slightly redundant, so it is more a supplemental statement to the first than a maxim in itself.