User Tag List

First 34567 Last

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Yes, but the 21 grams theory was completely anecdotal, and totally not the basis of my beliefs, and I highly doubt they are the basis of anyone else's here, either.
    Yes, I think most people do not believe that the soul has physicall weight, therefore this study neither confirmed nor disproved anyone's beliefs.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Trying to disprove what people believe spiritually is an utter waste of time. There are highly educated and intelligent people who believe in god, and ignorant people of average intelligence who don't. There is no direct correalation between education or exposure to information and atheism.
    I would agree with that. It doesn't matter how intelligent or educated you are, you can still be influenced to hold and defend irrational beliefs that appeal to certain parts of the mind. Religion is usually the least harmful delusions people adopt, actually. Many are far, far more dangerous and harmful. I admit that I've probably got more than a few of my own.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I would agree with that. It doesn't matter how intelligent you are, you can still be influenced to hold and defend irrational beliefs that appeal to certain parts of the mind. Religion is usually the least harmful delusion people adopt, actually.
    I don't think it's a delusion. Just because something isn't rational doesn't make it a delusion. A person can be deeply religious and still be given a clean bill of mental health by a psychiatrist.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't think it's a delusion. Just because something isn't rational doesn't make it a delusion. A person can be deeply religious and still be given a clean bill of mental health by a psychiatrist.
    So the only standard here is a clean bill of health by a psychiatrist?

I never said religion made people insane, I just said it was a delusion. Whether the delusion leads them to more psychological unhealthy behaviors is independent of whether they are deluded or not. Some people actually behave in healthier ways because of a delusion.

I'm actually convinced that people need some delusions to function.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Trying to disprove what people believe spiritually is an utter waste of time. There are highly educated and intelligent people who believe in god, and ignorant people of average intelligence who don't. There is no direct correalation between education or exposure to information and atheism.
    What does it mean "there are highly educated and intelligent people who believe in God" ?
    Since education of some person can be in aspets that have nothing to with religion and spirituality.
    Plus your intelligence worth only as much are your education. Intelligence without education is pretty much useless.

What makes you think that there is no correlation between education or exposure to information and atheism?

On the other hand I don't know why I am rated as ignorant here?
    Is it just beacuse I don't but the story for which there is no real evidance.

Don't take this too personally.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    What makes you think that there is no correlation between education or exposure to information and atheism?
    Highly educated people can be religious, the same as dirt-poor, uneducated people can be religious. Highly educated people can be athiests as well, so can uneducated people. Does religion seem like ignorance to you? Many wholesome things can come out of religion. While it is true that religions can be corrupt as many try to persuede people that they are the only truth, but the root of religion comes from the idea of helping others, being true to one another, kindness, etc. If one lives those core values, then they are truly a good human. On the other hand, people don't necessarily need religion to see these things, but I think religion can make people (depending on the person) more wholesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one
    Is it just beacuse I don't but the story for which there is no real evidance..
    There is also no evidence that shows that there isn't a god or gods (depending on what you believe).

MBTI
    INTP

Well, if you didn't love jesus your soul goes to a place to get tortured for eternity.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post

Highly educated people can be religious, the same as dirt-poor, uneducated people can be religious. Highly educated people can be athiests as well, so can uneducated people. Does religion seem like ignorance to you? Many wholesome things can come out of religion. While it is true that religions can be corrupt as many try to persuede people that they are the only truth, but the root of religion comes from the idea of helping others, being true to one another, kindness, etc. If one lives those core values, then they are truly a good human. On the other hand, people don't necessarily need religion to see these things, but I think religion can make people (depending on the person) more wholesome.

There is also no evidence that shows that there isn't a god or gods (depending on what you believe).

1. As I said in my last post "educated people" argument does not mean anything.

2. Yes, but there is a lot of traces that makse God unlikely.

Also I see that you are using statements that are totally mainstream.
    Which come down to statement "that we don't know enough"
    Would you believe me that religion can suffer a heavy damadge as an idea even if you don't manage to disprove God directly ?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    What does it mean "there are highly educated and intelligent people who believe in God" ?
    Since education of some person can be in aspets that have nothing to with religion and spirituality.
    Plus your intelligence worth only as much are your education. Intelligence without education is pretty much useless.

Is it just beacuse I don't but the story for which there is no real evidance.

Don't take this too personally.
    1) I never said you were ignorant.

2) I'm not taking it personally. I already know how you are from an earlier thread. It's you, not me, I know.

3) There is no correalation between education and exposure to information and atheism because Catholic priests and bishops were for centuries some of the most educated people in the world, and to this day earn PhDs.

4) Your assumption that intelligence without education is useless is exactly why you and I will never, ever have a productive conversation. The fact that you cannot even think outside of the box enough to realize that there have been intelligent individuals who have done amazing things in this world without a formal education (not to mention all the other little guys who just live healthy, happy lives as farmers and such) lets me know that you'll never understand where I'm coming from. Ever.

MBTI
    ENTP

soul
    no such thing
    She talks pretty but says mean things