User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    And our bodies lose 21 grams when we die, no matter how big or small the body is.
    Any source on that, out of curiosity?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I believe that we have souls, and that we are reborn again and again.
    Some might be new, others ancient, some just old. It's unusual for me to believe
    in this kind of "mumbo jumbo". I just cannot not do it. Intuitively I just know that it's true.
    This is the greatest "paranormal" issue I have been dealing with my whole life, for sure.
    Maybe it is that I am afraid of death and that I accept the thing that seems to make
    the most sense to me. Maybe I really do have a 0.001% insight that makes me know it
    intuitively.
    I also believe that people have their lives woven together with a few other people who will be important in all of their lives. It's also a stupid thing I believe in, and on top of that, I think I can feel whenever I run into someone like that. Naturally, I don't get that feeling very often. Sometimes, I walk past someone I have never seen before, and I just feel the antagonistic vibes coming from myself, and seeing the same thing in the other person's eyes... That's also fucked up.

Alright, T took over and decided I should stop myself.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    How do you know we have souls that exist past the death of our bodies, and how do you know what the consistency of the soul actually is?
    Well, I don't really know. What do I look like, God? Electricity doesn't move at random in our brains. We have the ability to think and in a way, control this electricity to a point. But how do we control it? Is there not something else controlling ourselves?

And our bodies lose 21 grams when we die, no matter how big or small the body is.
    Woah, interesting. Where did you learn that?

MBTI
    INTP

Mine's gonna keep coming back until it attains perfection, then it's a one way ticket out of this backwater consciousness!
    I know a girl, she's one of a kind
    But the poor little thing, she's going out of her mind
    There's something you forgot - there's a reason why she's lost
    Cos baby she don't want to be found

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

"Mine's gonna keep coming back until it attains perfection, then it's a one way ticket out of this backwater consciousness! "

WW: were you joking or serious??? There are groups that genuinely believe that statement to be true. However, "backwater consciousness" makes me wonder if you meant it as sarcasm, or if were you being Buddhist or New Age or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    What are you personal views on what happens when you die? There's more than just electricity that flows through your body that makes it move. Each of us has his or her own individual and unique mind and personality. Each of us has a soul, which is different from one another. If you factor science in this, energy can neither be created nor destroyed. So what happens to the energy that makes up you, your soul, your spirit? Can it all just vanish? I know this isn't a new topic, but sometimes I think about it a lot and I'm very curious as to everyone's opinions.
    It gets recycled back into the energy system through decay and whatnot.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    "Mine's gonna keep coming back until it attains perfection, then it's a one way ticket out of this backwater consciousness! "

WW: were you joking or serious??? There are groups that genuinely believe that statement to be true. However, "backwater consciousness" makes me wonder if you meant it as sarcasm, or if were you being Buddhist or New Age or something else.
    Well, I suppose you could say that I was being serious in a joking way.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

"sometimes wisdom presents itself as folly" other times people sound sarcastic because, well, they are truly just being sarcastic. But being serious in a joking way, that takes some real effort or skill or insight. I recognise some of my speaking style in you, fellow IN_P. However, many of the INTJ's that I've known, if they said what you said, they would have meant it in an utterly mocking way. But INTP's and INTJ's are rather different animals. Perhaps it is an IN_P trait to like speaking somewhat cryptically, which in my experience plenty of others quickly misunderstand.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    "sometimes wisdom presents itself as folly" other times people sound sarcastic because, well, they are truly just being sarcastic. But being serious in a joking way, that takes some real effort or skill or insight. I recognise some of my speaking style in you, fellow IN_P. However, many of the INTJ's that I've known, if they said what you said, they would have meant it in an utterly mocking way. But INTP's and INTJ's are rather different animals. Perhaps it is an IN_P trait to like speaking somewhat cryptically, which in my experience plenty of others quickly misunderstand.
    That's why I tend to speak cryptically. It really helps me to filter out persons of interest from those who take what I say at face value.

Another INFP here who believes we have souls. I think that the laws of physics support the idea that the energy must go *somewhere*. And our bodies lose 21 grams when we die, no matter how big or small the body is. I believe that there is a force of life, creativity, and love in the universe and our souls go toward it. Or the energy remains behind in an imprint on earth (hell, if you will) that explains the aura surrounding landmarks where intensely horrible things have happened, like suicides, murders, and war battles.
    1. Why we lose 21 gram ? Is it because someone said so or is it because someone has empirical evidence? Something like this can be very easy to prove in public. So I am wondering why no one does it.

2. For you it is easy to claim laws of physics this or laws of physics that. But from your post it is obvious that you are not familiar with laws of physics.The standard SI unit for energy is Joule not Gram. What means that if body indead loses 21 grams they we are not talking about soul/energy.
    Also if soul weights 21 grams that means that it has mass. What means that you can effect it with gravity. What doesn't correlate with idea od soul. (at least not a standard one)

3.You say 21 grams. But when you turn 21 grams into energy that is huge amount of energy.
    One gram has 8.9876 x 10^13 Joules.
    But explosion of 1000 tonnes of TNT produces only 4.18 10^12 joules.
    What means that death of every human being would cause a huge exsplosion since the energy that will be relelased by transformation would be huge and that is what explosions are all about actually.
    Since energy has to be channeled into something.
    This transformation is the only way of turning those 21 grams which are purely physical into energy from which soul supposed to be made.
    If you are not talking about the energy from physical laws then you should not have mentioned them. Since you are talking about some different kinds of energy which have pretty much nothing to do with physics.

3. You are talking about theoretical models where matter is made of energy once again you have a problem. Since everything is made of energy what means that apples , cars , walls ... could have souls as well
    When you turn on a blender or oven in your kitchen to make yourself a lunch you use that same energy.

4. If people want to raad more I recommend this thread

5. If we heve souls what would be their purpose?