First 1234 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    There's more than just electricity that flows through your body that makes it move.
    How do you know?

Each of us has his or her own individual and unique mind and personality.
    This is observable.

Each of us has a soul, which is different from one another.
    How do you know we have souls that exist past the death of our bodies, and how do you know what the consistency of the soul actually is?

If you factor science in this, energy can neither be created nor destroyed.
    As I just noted, scientifically the soul is not observable. So how can you possibly use science to state things emphatically about the soul? Scientifically, the only statement here you have made that is observable is that we all have distinct personalities.

So what happens to the energy that makes up you, your soul, your spirit?
    We have no idea if the soul or spirit exists, let alone that it is powered by energy that is scientifically describable.

Can it all just vanish? I know this isn't a new topic, but sometimes I think about it a lot and I'm very curious as to everyone's opinions.
    I say all that I have said here only to create a more nuanced framework -- there is no discernible reality here, there is just opinion.

My opinion also is that if there is a soul, I cannot say anything about it that has meaning or certainty. But what would I like? I would like (I think, sometimes I'm not sure) to continue after death and continue to learn and explore and grow and commune with other spirits I care about, all with the same bent as me. So that life continues, and growth continues, and connection continues, and understanding grows.

But there's no way to know what really happens.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISFJ

I don't know about your soul, but my soul is gonna live forever wrecking havoc upon the world. Kinda like Peter Pan only it's an old man refusing to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    In agreement to this. There's not much to be said about it.

(On the bright side, at least I won't be dissappointed. )
    Only the bitter INTs can hope to go to heaven. Non-bitter INTs all go to hell by default.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I don't know about your soul, but my soul is gonna live forever wrecking havoc upon the world. Kinda like Peter Pan only it's an old man refusing to die.

Only the bitter INTs can hope to go to heaven. Non-bitter INTs all go to hell by default.

Even hell is better than nothing at all by my reckoning.

Existance of any kind will always be greater than no existance at all.

Yet I'm putting my money on no existance at all after death. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Even hell is better than nothing at all by my reckoning.

Existance of any kind will always be greater than no existance at all.

Yet I'm putting my money on no existance at all after death. :P
    Reminds me about a discussion I had with my brother about the perception of time/pain. I almost drowned to death once, when I was a kid, and can attest...it seems like an eternity.

What if the moment we die is perceived by our brain as never ending?!

Just like time spent having fun VS being bored. That kind of thing always fascinated me. Hell/heaven on Earth indeed.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

ha ha, you crazy NFs, you think you can change the rules of reality to suit your fancies.... but you will fail, bwa ha ha ha ha!!!!!

At least we're happy, and we only need to sleep with one sheet on.

Reminds me about a discussion I had with my brother about the perception of time/pain. I almost drowned to death once, when I was a kid, and can attest...it seems like an eternity.
    From one of my favorite movies:

"I once knew a man who drowned. He said it was like 'going home.'"

Later: "Remember what I told you about the man who drowned? I lied. He said it was agony."

What if the moment we die is perceived by our brain as never ending?!
    Scary, huh? we just don't know.

Maybe death is more Harlan Ellison than Walt Disney.
    Maybe it really sucks and is full of eternal torment.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ha ha, you crazy NFs, you think you can change the rules of reality to suit your fancies.... but you will fail, bwa ha ha ha ha!!!!!
    The mind makes it true!!!You NTs just need(ed) to wait for science to logically explain it, to learn this. Bwahaha, who's the fool now?!

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    At least we're happy, and we only need to sleep with one sheet on.
    Yeah, well, we ENFPs sleep naked year-round. Beat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    From one of my favorite movies:

"I once knew a man who drowned. He said it was like 'going home.'"

Later: "Remember what I told you about the man who drowned? I lied. He said it was agony."

Man I love that movie. A stupid friend of mine kinda spoiled it for me in advance (I had been waiting for it since 2002's Insomnia). I'm still angry about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    Scary, huh? we just don't know.

Maybe death is more Harlan Ellison than Walt Disney.
    Maybe it really sucks and is full of eternal torment.
    Hence religions and hocus pocus, I guess. People need a chill pill to face the bitter truth. But, yeah, scary indeed.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

This INFP votes for reincarnation. Eastern style. How INFP of me.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The mind makes it true!!!You NTs just need(ed) to wait for science to logically explain it, to learn this. Bwahaha, who's the fool now?!
    You.

Yeah, well, we ENFPs sleep naked year-round. Beat that.
    Okay. *gets out bat, sizes up vulnerable places on buff ENFP*

Man I love that movie. A stupid friend of mine kinda spoiled it for me in advance (I had been waiting for it since 2002's Insomnia). I'm still angry about it.....
    No wonder. It's just an incredible movie, I'm a big Chris Nolan fan too. Insomnia had some flaws but I still watch it regularly. The Prestige is in my fave top ten movies I've ever seen.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    What are you personal views on what happens when you die? There's more than just electricity that flows through your body that makes it move. Each of us has his or her own individual and unique mind and personality. Each of us has a soul, which is different from one another. If you factor science in this, energy can neither be created nor destroyed. So what happens to the energy that makes up you, your soul, your spirit? Can it all just vanish? I know this isn't a new topic, but sometimes I think about it a lot and I'm very curious as to everyone's opinions.
    I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a soul. It might simply be a perceptual byproduct of the way our mind processes reality. But my first idea upon imagining that a soul exists, is that we all simply become ghosts and wander the earth for eternity when we die, unable to be seen, interact with, or otherwise affect anything.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Another INFP here who believes we have souls. I think that the laws of physics support the idea that the energy must go *somewhere*. And our bodies lose 21 grams when we die, no matter how big or small the body is. I believe that there is a force of life, creativity, and love in the universe and our souls go toward it. Or the energy remains behind in an imprint on earth (hell, if you will) that explains the aura surrounding landmarks where intensely horrible things have happened, like suicides, murders, and war battles.