User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Default Opinions on Unobservable Things?

Religion and the afterlife was one thing. Now people often claim they know death is eternal oblivion, that they didn't exist before they were born, that they only have one life, that life has no greater purpose, and so on.

I hear these kind of claims all the time, yet I wonder how they are any different from claims to an afterlife.

Essentially what I'm asking is, where's the evidence?

The rational position, from my point of view, is Agnosticism. No evidence, no assumptions.

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp

is death rational?

... is life?
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    The rational position, from my point of view, is Agnosticism. No evidence, no assumptions.
    Agreed. That's why I consider myself an agnostic. An ignostic agnostic to be a little more precise.

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Religion and the afterlife was one thing. Now people often claim they know death is eternal oblivion, that they didn't exist before they were born, that they only have one life, that life has no greater purpose, and so on.

I hear these kind of claims all the time, yet I wonder how they are any different from claims to an afterlife.

Essentially what I'm asking is, where's the evidence?

"Knowing" seems to be the hot topic today!

Oblivion is a rational conclusion for lack of confidence in a supernatural system. If there is no basis for spiritual interactions then what you're left with is that big meaty lump in your skull. So before it was there, you didn't exist, after it's gone, you won't exist. Both are cases of non-existence, so to be dead is the same as before you were alive.

MBTI
    INTP

I support this thread.

My personal opinion on all those unobservable things -- the existence of god, the afterlife, the supernatural, etc. is pretty much uninformed and therefore meaningless. I liken my knowledge of those things to my knowledge of zoology. I have some basic idea of how it works, but the specifics are well beyond my comprehension.

However, as with many other things of which I have little knowledge, I am eager to learn. What can I say, I'm an information slut.

For some it's the default position to be in the negative till the positive has been proven true, and the claim falls on us to do so. Considering that it's currently not possible, we do have abit of a problem. Positive athiesm requires faith, but we need faith in our own perception of the world. :O

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp

my gripe is this: agnosticism is the rational choice, at least in our minds. but how about all the other possibilities like, for instance, deism: that there once was a god that has since left us?

considering that we can only see "god" from the human perception, it leaves out much. perhaps the concept of god was never intended for humans to understand, perhaps there was never a reason to believe because "god" didn't want us to believe. perhaps there was never a "god" at all.

i don't buy into neither agnosticism, atheism or religion. discussing or believing something that may be beyond our understanding cannot be justified until we understand the concepts of what we are believing. if there ever was a rational choice, this would be it.
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, my opinion is that we can't know anything about what isn't observable. My default assumption would be to start with the assumption it's not there, but not everyone would make that same one.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

This is funny....... you ask about unobserverable things and I think of the Atom, and you think of Spiritual stuff. Interesting. Cuz I gotta tell ya, I don't believe in Atoms, either!

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sentura View Post
    until we understand the concepts of what we are believing. if there ever was a rational choice, this would be it.
    Check the link in my previous post.