• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's your religion?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was raised to be a Christian, but I realized it was hogwash around the same time I outgrew Santa Claus and my imaginary friend. Since then, I've been an atheist. I don't claim to really know for sure there's no such thing as the supernatural, but I've gone looking for it in the places it's been reported and found nothing.

The story about the Magical Rib Woman, the sacred good and evil fruit and talking snakes tempting women into tempting men just doesn't seem a very plausible explanation of anything. And really, that one is pretty fundamental to Christianity. It's supposed to explain the origin of morality, why snakes are not lizards, why women have a menstrual cycle, some other stuff and it sets the stage for Jesus saving mankind later on in Testament 2: This Time It's Personal.

The Magical Rib Woman did it. That's why people had original sin before God turned himself into a human and the Jews killed him?

Really? Does that make sense to people? Maybe if they're tripping balls like the prophet Ezekiel apparently was. Anyone read him? Good stuff, but not about to make me convert.

I know I'm picking on Christianity here. Rest assured other religions I've looked into aren't much better with the exception of possibly Buddhism. However, the competitive advantage of making a lick of sense does not seem to have won it great numbers of adherents.

Anyway, that's my explanation for why.

Atheist.

I agree with most of this...the typical "intelligent religious response" here is to muddle the definition of God until none of the logical problems are applicable any longer. You can find God anywhere if you look hard enough.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Are you suggesting that all atheism is due to parental indoctrination?

I think Wildcat's quote was supposed to be an ironic reference to a standard atheist dismissal of religion, and not something to be taken at face value-Wildcat has a habit of doing things like that, its entertaining for veterans but confusing for the uninitiated. Of course, for all I know there might actually be some kind of bizarre, ongoing fued between Hilbertspace and Wildcat that explains the post.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
What is the difference of J and P?
It is action.

What is at the base of an action?
Censure.

I think Wildcat's quote was supposed to be an ironic reference to a standard atheist dismissal of religion, and not something to be taken at face value-Wildcat has a habit of doing things like that, its entertaining for veterans but confusing for the uninitiated. Of course, for all I know there might actually be some kind of bizarre, ongoing fued between Hilbertspace and Wildcat that explains the post.

Yeah that's great but I still can only understand about 50% of his posts.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
You're missing out -- reading isn't sufficient.

Reading not sufficient? What strange universe dost thou live in? Are you perhaps suggesting I do something other than sit in front of my computer all day?

Blasphemy!

But fo srs. How I mine for wildcat?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Umm...I'm not really interested in getting into a free form ode to Victor here, so if we're leaving logic at the door, I'll just politely bow out now.

Mole

Permabanned
Yeah that's great but I still can only understand about 50% of his [Wildcat's] posts.

C'mon, he is easier to understand than me. And I defer to him in matters of taste.

What more do you want?

He is simple but not simple minded.

He always provides an elegant sufficiency.

The perfect writer in perfect taste.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
C'mon, he is easier to understand than me. And I defer to him in matters of taste.

What more do you want?

He is simple but not simple minded.

He always provides an elegant sufficiency.

The perfect writer in perfect taste.

Sometimes I can't understand you either.

On the other hand, sometimes I can't understand myself.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, it's kind of eclectic. I sort of use whatever feels right at the time... mostly various pagan things, agnosticism, atheism, Zen Buddhism, etc...

I'm just pretty much against the religions that don't emphasize the role and significance of the individual (read: Christianity).

riel

MBTI Type
ISFP
I'm a Roman Catholic.

P.S. I notice that some of the N's I encountered in this forum are agnostics/atheists.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I notice that some most of the N's I encountered in this forum are agnostics/atheists.

Most Ns aren't religious because Christianity is too confining a framework for us. It's really only ideal for types that don't have any desires or internal conflicts that might change their stance.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Transcendence mixed with Perennialism with a spice of Metaphysics...

..and everything beneath...,,

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Most Ns aren't religious because Christianity is too confining a framework for us. It's really only ideal for types that don't have any desires or internal conflicts that might change their stance.

Most N's aren't religious? That isn't true at all. Broad over-generalization. You may say that N's may not necessarily be as prone to follow extremely organized religion, but not that "most" aren't religious in any way, shape, or form.

There are quite a few religions out there.