• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's your religion?

heart

heart on fire
Western Civilization more and more affected by New Thought/New Age/Neo-Paganism-Earth/Greenism religion. If one absorbs any media or is in public education system, no way to avoid it now. Not that many even questioning if they want this or if it is a good thing, just accept it.

Mole

Permabanned
Western Civilization more and more affected by New Thought/New Age/Neo-Paganism-Earth/Greenism religion. If one absorbs any media or is in public education system, no way to avoid it now. Not that many even questioning if they want this or if it is a good thing, just accept it.

You probably know my view on this.

There is nothing new about the New Age. It reached its heights in Europe in the early twentieth century.

But it is a simply a derivative movement. It is a reaction against both the Renaissance and the Enlightenment.

So from my perspective, the New Age Movement is a reactionary movement within Judeo-Greek-Christianity.

It is essentially a heresy. But we have learnt to live peacefully with heresies.

And it is important to emphasize that we have many, many heresies within Judeo-Greek-Christianity. Or you might say we have many peaceful heresies within Western civilization.

We have stopped killing heretics and heretics have stopped killing us and each other.

And the New Age is simply another peaceful heresy.

God bless 'em.

heart

heart on fire
You probably know my view on this.

There is nothing new about the New Age. It reached its heights in Europe in the early twentieth century.

But it is a simply a derivative movement. It is a reaction against both the Renaissance and the Enlightenment.

We just split hairs on the exact origin of it. I say it came out of the New Thought movement, not the whole Romantic movement. The Great Awakenings were some good fruits of the Romantic era reacting against the colder rationalism of extreme Enlightenment thinking and creating social change.

New Thought not so much a good fruit because it does away with perspective and judgment, don't judge, it's all good! (Seeds of Eastern religion never meant for a Western world because our culture and nature is very different.)

So from my perspective, the New Age Movement is a reactionary movement within Judeo-Greek-Christianity.

It is essentially a heresy. But we have learnt to live peacefully with heresies.

And it is important to emphasize that we have many, many heresies within Judeo-Greek-Christianity. Or you might say we have many peaceful heresies within Western civilization.

We have stopped killing heretics and heretics have stopped killing us and each other.

And the New Age is simply another peaceful heresy.

God bless 'em.

Well for now they don't burn heretics, but we're the same human race that did so. And who will be the new heretics in the times to come?

Pint-Size Eco-Police, Making Parents Proud and Sometimes Crazy

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
i identify as a secular humanist with some atheism thrown in the mix.

Mole

Permabanned
i identify as a secular humanist with some atheism thrown in the mix.

Humanism comes out of the Renaissance.

And the first humanist was Erasmus, a Dutch Dominican priest of the fifteenth century.

And interestingly the Church accepted his work.

And so the father of humanism was a Christian priest.

So your antecedents were decidedly Christian.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
No religion, a desperate desire to believe in something but the choices are limited and I can't make up my mind whether intuition or wishful thinking is what makes a small part of me hope that there must be something more.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
My spirituality is of the first type. I suppose the label for that is Paganism.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
heart, you're never going to get to sing, "I ain't no hollarchy back girl!" :cry:

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm a scientist. Our doctrine is rationalism. We believe the Lord Einstein will be resurrected in a Japanese laboratory sometime in the not too distant future.

S

Sniffles

I have given much thought to this issue before, and overall I can only say that it's influence is due to several factors concerning the weaknesses of "Christendom". However, on the overal philosophical scale - it doesn't really stand much chance against Christianity, due to its several internal weaknesses.

A concentrated effort on the part of Christian revivalism could easily swipe this heresy aside, like all the other heresies before.

I could go into more details about this, but I'm just not in the mood really.

Oleander

MBTI Type
INFP
We know how Christianity dealt with independent thought in the past. The Inquisition was only one small part of a long history of violence and suppression. Christians may have been advised to take up your cross but the reality has been crucifying everybody else. I prefer the ideas of Valentinus, who was a Christian but not as is understood today. Even by his day, the 200s, what was to make itself The Church was working to eliminate dissidents.

S

Sniffles

We know how Christianity dealt with independent thought in the past. The Inquisition was only one small part of a long history of violence and suppression.

As scholars have been discovering for at least 20 years now(especially with the opening of the Vatican archives), the supposed bloody trail of the Inquisition has been blown out of proportion. Barely 2% of all people ever brought before the Inquisition were ever executed, which meant an average of three people per year. Most previous estimates of executions were largely based off the numbers of effigees burnt, not actual people.

The vast majority of people brought before the Inquisition received rather light sentences, mostly house arrest(which in practice largely amounted to a daily curfew).

We could also add that the Inquisition was one of the first legal institutions to mandate that a defendant had a right to a lawyer; and that the court would provide one if the defendant couldn't afford one.

Journey

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Are you a politician or a Christian?

I am at a complete loss to understand what you are asking and why.

Politicians influence a group of people to attain or wield power. I have no such intentions. (My only attempt at an answer.)

I think I now have a glimmer of what you are getting at, and I don't think you understand what a Christian is at all.

Last edited:

Eryndil

MBTI Type
INTx
Christian - kind of liberal and not really a member of any particular church.

Mole

Permabanned
I am at a complete loss to understand what you are asking and why.

Politicians influence a group of people to attain or wield power. I have no such intentions. (My only attempt at an answer.)

I think I now have a glimmer of what you are getting at, and I don't think you understand what a Christian is at all.

You asked me to pray for a particular political outcome.

And this violates the separation of Church and State.

And along with the Constitution I irrevocably support the separation of Church and State.

And I pointed out that you don't seem to understand that our secular Constitutions arose out of the Wars of Denominational Religion.

And that our Constitutions guarantee freedom of religions.

The Islamists want to replace our Constitutions with Sharia. Then there would be no freedom of religion.

I do think your views are dangerous to Christianity and all other religions.