User Tag List

First 1353616263646573 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
    Religion can help lots of people, thats great! I just dont feel comfortable with it, why should I believe another mans words, & not one religion is better then another or more right then another....wheres the proof anyway.

Im just unsure

What I do know is what feels right or wrong in my heart and in my solar plexus, I dont need to follow a religion when I have that.

To each their own!
    Yeah, I anticipated that too.

I'm not criticising you, just that I consider this a trend, consider all the posters on this page even, agnosticism is in, I wonder is it a thoughtful thing or a casual shrug of the shoulders as there's more pressing/interesting/involving matters at hand than spirituality.

Its not a criticism at all, it interests me because Marx in his conflict with Bakunin used to insist Bakunin was wrong for deliberately attacking the Church and Church power, Marx suggested that rising prosperity and social expectations would eventually off set religion which would go to the wall over time and be forgotten about. Seems it could be one of the things Marx was right about.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Default What's your religion?

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    This highlights the distinction between religion and spirituality (perhaps already made in this thread -- I have not read all the pages). Many people who do not follow an established church or religion still consider themselves spiritual and follow spiritual practices on their own or with an informal group of like-minded individuals. Each of us believes what we believe. Religions are then a bit like shoes in the store: none are tailor-made to our specific feet and style, but many people still manage to find a pair with a satisfactory fit. The rest of us have to be a bit more creative and self-motivated.
    Coriolis wrote, "...people who do not follow an established church or religion..." goes on to signify that religion and spirituality do not necessarily go hand in hand. I without doubt concur. There are many truth's and path's to the top of the mountain. We all have distinct personalities. What to some is truth is for another a fable. As for my case it has to have an inner resonance. I do not believe in nor give credence with any one particular religion, psychology, or philosophy or concept. For me they contain partial truths, not the complete picture by no means whatsoever. I believe we all have some blindness, as in Plato's cave analogy and are searching among shadows for truth. Some have a keener insight from other people for they have the blending with utmost reason with an addition of love, & compassion. Those which are triggered most easily have less a grasp on truth than one who contains wisdom and has a clearer picture when it comes in understanding our world we live in.

MBTI
    INTP

Quasi-gnostic humanist pantheism

Every person should start at least one religion, or at the very least, an ideology.

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

Agnostic.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZKggvZGexQ"]Atheist Rock[/YOUTUBE]
    Sadly, no quality version of the whole song. It goes through a few religions .
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

Though it's mostly just stringstheory-ism, Non-theistic naturalist is the most accurate phrase to describe it.
    Introduction/Overview

YouTube does a better job.
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGK84Poeynk"]We Are All Connected[/YOUTUBE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Introverted Feeling (46.7)
    Extraverted Intuition (45.7)
    Introverted Intuition (37.5)
    Introverted Thinking(26.5)
    Extraverted Feeling (25.4)
    Extraverted Thinking (22.1)
    Extraverted Sensing (19.5)
    Introverted Sensing (17.0)

Thumbs down Blood Sacrifice to Appease an Angry God

There has never been a civilization not based on a religion. So my religion is to understand religion.

And there are some clues.

Trance seems to be a central feature of all religions.

Trance enables us to put aside our critical faculties and accept uncritically what they tell us.

Children are good example as children are in a trance most of the time and accept whatever their parents and authority figures tell them. This is taken advantage of by religious schools and madrassa.

And at a deeper level it seems we did once actually hear the voice of God, in what we would call today, an hallucination. But with the breakdown of the bicameral mind, we lost the ability to hear the voice of God, with the exception of schizophrenics who still actually hallucinate the voice of God.

So when Richard Dawkins says religion is a delusion, he is not entirely wrong.

But religion underlies everything we do and we ignore it at our peril.

Blood sacrifice to placate an angry God is an essential element of religion and we see that today in our war sacrifice of blood and in the blood sacrifice of jihad and martyrdom.

And we are in a position today to make the ultimate blood sacrifice with nuclear weapons and perhaps global warming. And religions that look forward to the apocalypse are plainly a clear and present danger.

So we need to understand religion before unreflecting religion makes a blood sacrifice of us all.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

panentheism: all we know is composed of and is part of an underlying cosmic divine, but we do not necessarily see the whole of it. and technically agnosticism, because while i choose to believe this, i also assent that it is "unknowable" in the sense of being un-provable. i choose to believe in panentheism because it simply makes sense and feels right to me that everything should be part of one grand whole, and that existence in and of itself has some reason. it's occam's razor and optimism, respectively. at the same time, i could never begin to assume that what i can currently conceptualize even begins to account for all the mysteries of the universe(s).

in terms of practice... sometimes i go to a unitarian universalist church, or other religious service. i pray/meditate sometimes, most often in the form of yoga. i get the feeling of the divine mostly in endless things... the ocean, dunes of sand, the sky. i love to read from taoism, shintoism, sufism - pretty much any tradition, especially the mystics. as far as i see it, there's general wisdom, ethical guidance, appreciation of life, and respect for whatever great thing we are a part of to be found everywhere...

dreamworks, for example. i love this song:
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG0a9WFkgzU"]through heaven's eyes[/YOUTUBE]
    a single thread in a tapestry, though its color brightly shines, can never see its purpose in the pattern of the grand design...
    if a man loses everything he owns, has he truly lost his worth? or is it the beginning of a new and brighter birth?
    and that's why we share what we have with you, though there's little to be found. when all you have is nothing, there's a lot to go around.
    no life can escape being blown about by the winds of change and chance, and though you'll never know all the steps... you must learn to join the dance!

did i mention it's just kind of fun too? li-li-li

MBTI
    xxxx

I'm a pastafarian.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Z View Post
    I'm a pastafarian.
    Lol, jah pastafari!
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
    Lol, jah pastafari!
    R'amen.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?