User Tag List

First 456781656 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I dislike most of it. We don't do "contemporary" praise music at my church much; it's a nice eclectic mix of the good old hymns and some newer ones, but none of that cheesy stuff. Very Sufjan in flavor. We had a "bluegrass mass" once that I was dreading (I tend to be fairly old-school when it comes to church music) but it was actually very nice.
    I'm with you there. I mean... how can you get any better than "The King of Love My Shepherd Is" and "I Want to Walk as a Child of the Light"? (Actually, I went to the Summit recently for the youth conference, and we definitely rocked out to that one powerpoint style... I was pleased to see that Episcopalians can only clumsily do the powerpoint worship thing).

My friend James and I joke all the time about starting a praise band and opening for Sufjan. It's going to be AWE-sooome!

Our church is full of NFs and a generous sprinkling of NTs.
    The church I call "home" is too, but now I go to a kind of regular, moderate Episcopal church where I get nearly no sense of most people's personalities.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

*scowls at powerpoint worship* I miss the hymnals. I hope they come back into fashion in Charismatic-land again soon and I hope they just got put in a dusty storage closet instead of having been thrown out.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP

Yeah... praise music...

"I want to walk as a Child of the light" is my favorite hymn. I recently figured out how to play it on my banjo, and so last sunday I played it at the methodist church whose college student group I hang out with, along with a song I wrote called "Weed Wacking For Jesus" (it's about calling and vocation ) as the service prelude. Both went over pretty well. I had written a another song too called "This is a praise song" but did not sing it at church because it's main purpose is to poke fun at praise music, (the look ma no talent kind) and I don't think many would find it all that edifying.

Oh yeah, I dislike power point intensely, mainly because I never know what to do with my hands when I am singing.
    Rob

"And if you hear vague traces of skipping reels of rhyme,
    To your tambourine in time.
    It's just a ragged clown behind,
    I wouldn't pay it any mind,
    It's just a shadow you're seeing that he's chasing."

-From "Mr. Tambourine Man"
    by Bob Dylan

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    My friend James and I joke all the time about starting a praise band and opening for Sufjan. It's going to be AWE-sooome!
    Please stop saying that name -- I keep getting confused and thinking you are referring to Sanjaya!

"Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Please stop saying that name -- I keep getting confused and thinking you are referring to Sanjaya!

I think that means that I should say Sufjan's name MORE, because Sufjan is actually amazing and interesting, and if you do not associate Sufjan with -ness, you are missing something. And that you associate Sufjan with some horrifyingly terrible American Idol contestant (I had to look it up) really means that you should turn off the TV and turn up the Illinoise. Let's work up a new schema, friend!

reowr, INF-posterchild...

OMG, don't you just want to kiss those mystical lips??
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I think that means that I should say Sufjan's name MORE, because Sufjan is actually amazing and interesting, and if you do not associate Sufjan with -ness, you are missing something.
    Well, I would agree with that. Sufjan sounds far better than Sanjaya.

And that you associate Sufjan with some horrifyingly terrible American Idol contestant (I had to look it up) really means that you should turn off the TV and turn up the Illinoise. Let's work up a new schema, friend!
    I've never watched the show. But Sanjaya followed me on the radio and Internet everywhere I went...! (Auuuggh.)

OMG, don't you just want to kiss those mystical lips??
    !...i'm scared of stubble burn...!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Born again non practising Athiest.
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
    Bertrand Russell

http://rayofsolar.blogspot.com/
    http://zeropointseven.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That's an interesting combination -- can you explain it a little more?
    I am God. The universe is either my mind or a product of it, I'm not sure, and I can't be. I restricted myself to the perceptions and insights of this mortal body so as to discover what it means to be "ignorant" and to "learn". My consciousness will diffuse upon death, but until then I'll just revel in that which can only be known in a state of existential ignorance. Once I return to my God state, then I'll remember what it's like to be restricted and this is how my omniscience avoids being a self-contradictory concept (or so I think).

I also realize that I still have much to learn. Words such as learning, memory, word, and God are firmly rooted in the human predicament. I simply can't understand reality for what it is while I'm alive, but I can certainly try my best.

MBTI
    INFP

"I am God."

a hem.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAEHAHAHahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahhahahhahahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahh ahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa!!:yim_rolling_on_the_
    Rob

"And if you hear vague traces of skipping reels of rhyme,
    To your tambourine in time.
    It's just a ragged clown behind,
    I wouldn't pay it any mind,
    It's just a shadow you're seeing that he's chasing."

-From "Mr. Tambourine Man"
    by Bob Dylan

MBTI
    INTP

Atheist. But it's an odd label. bleah. I've just written and deleted 5 attempts at explaining what I mean. 6th attempt and I won't delete it, no matter how garbled.

It's an odd label for me because I don't see the need to say 'I don't believe in a god'. Other people believe in a god. But if I didn't know about that, it would not occur to me to label myself an atheist.

I suspect that doesn't really capture what I want to say but I will post it anyway.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.