ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Parent indoctrination.
    Grow up.
    Are you suggesting that all atheism is due to parental indoctrination?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ENTJ

First, there's no such thing as a good Christian.
    To CaptainChick there is. The ones who don't preach at and look down on non/other types of Christians for example. Her position is perfectly legitimate - she was making a personal statement about what bugs her.

I don't like being preached at either, and would attempt to avoid people who wanted to do so.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

Quote Originally Posted by janey_girl View Post
    Man created god in his own image...
    There are 10,000 gods. To which god are you referring.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI

Costrin,
    Honestly, you probably aren't going to get that kind of conclusive or inconclusive evidence. For the conclusive evidence how does that happening bring glory true glory to God (from the standpoint of my personal beliefs)? For the inconclusive ones most of it's subject to interpretation. It's just not possible. Humankind is to corrupted to get them. I can give you reasons till I'm blue in the face, but my previous point stands. The only thing that will change you mind is something that is real to you. I personal realization maybe. Regardless of whether or not I can convince of my beliefs, do think that there is a God? I know you at least reject these beliefs. My thoughts on your opinions on this are probably right, but I wanted to ask anyway.

Romans 1:19-20
    "because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse."
    - Caleb

"I am what I need to be..."

"Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    Costrin,
    Honestly, you probably aren't going to get that kind of conclusive or inconclusive evidence. For the conclusive evidence how does that happening bring glory true glory to God (from the standpoint of my personal beliefs)? For the inconclusive ones most of it's subject to interpretation. It's just not possible. Humankind is to corrupted to get them. I can give you reasons till I'm blue in the face, but my previous point stands. The only thing that will change you mind is something that is real to you. I personal realization maybe. Regardless of whether or not I can convince of my beliefs, do think that there is a God? I know you at least reject these beliefs. My thoughts on your opinions on this are probably right, but I wanted to ask anyway.

Romans 1:19-20
    "because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse."
    I do not believe in a god of any type. I admit the possibility, but I see no evidence for a deity, so I do not believe in one. Furthermore, even if a god did exist, I likely wouldn't worship it. Just because it may have made me, is no reason for me to worship it. If the god is good, then it would not care, if it is evil and I would be punished for not worshiping, then it can go ahead and punish me.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Are you suggesting that all atheism is due to parental indoctrination?
    I too would like to know if that is what you are suggesting.

The interesting thing is that the majority of my atheist friends grew up Christian.

Also, *wildcat* why do you feel you have to attack this person for their belief?
    --

If I were to answer the original post, I would have to say that I believe religion is man-made and created from people trying to explain something/some source...call it God if you like.

The reality is...we have no clue and no proof that a god exists. The majority of us have "FEELING" that it exists (which there is nothing wrong with this).

There have been some unexplainable events that have happened in my life. So I would say that I agree that there is "something" out there, but I refuse to define it because I have no substantial proof and it would still be based on feeling. For all I know, it could be the pull of the universe, self, god, aliens, etc.

I do not believe the holy books in religions to be infallible or proof of a godly existence. I feel that these books were man-made as well. However, it may be documentation of their culture's experience with this "source."

Saying that, I respect all people and their beliefs. The issue I have is when they have the "I'm right, and you're wrong" judgmental attitude, and cannot have a discussion about religion without making judgmental/mean/rude remarks. There is no reason for this attitude
    Last edited by harmonyizmine; 03-14-2009 at 06:47 PM. Reason: substituted "reason" for "basis" in last sentence.

Have you noticed that atheists and evangelicals have one thing in common?

They both take their stand on rationality.

But there is a whole continent of irrationality, from imagination to empathy to trance.

And it is on this continent that religion lives.

To try to push religion through the eye of rationality is like trying to push a rich man through the eye of a needle.

At first is appears ridiculous, but then, as they insist, it turns nasty.

But for both atheists and evangelicals it is compulsive.

Like all fetishists they mistake a small part for the whole, and focus intently on that small part.

And so they form a hypnotic loop between rationality and themselves and they just keep going round and round and round.

And each time they go round, they become more intense, more insistent that we join them on their merry-go-round.

The only way off the merry-go-round is l'alternance - to alternate between imagination, empathy and trance and reason.

In that way imagination, empathy and trance act as the antidote to compulsive rationalisation. And reason acts an antidote to compulsive imagination, empathy and trance.

In that way, with l'alternance, we are free from compulsion.

Really it's simple. Always remember that the toxicity lies in the dose.

And so religion and reason are nice in small doses, one after the other, in an elegant little dance.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    But for both atheists and evangelicals it is compulsive.
    Yes, militant atheists and evangelicals both just as toxic and controlling. If they ever came to war with each other, it'd be a blood bath.

MBTI
    ISFJ

I was raised to be a Christian, but I realized it was hogwash around the same time I outgrew Santa Claus and my imaginary friend. Since then, I've been an atheist. I don't claim to really know for sure there's no such thing as the supernatural, but I've gone looking for it in the places it's been reported and found nothing.

The story about the Magical Rib Woman, the sacred good and evil fruit and talking snakes tempting women into tempting men just doesn't seem a very plausible explanation of anything. And really, that one is pretty fundamental to Christianity. It's supposed to explain the origin of morality, why snakes are not lizards, why women have a menstrual cycle, some other stuff and it sets the stage for Jesus saving mankind later on in Testament 2: This Time It's Personal.

The Magical Rib Woman did it. That's why people had original sin before God turned himself into a human and the Jews killed him?

Really? Does that make sense to people? Maybe if they're tripping balls like the prophet Ezekiel apparently was. Anyone read him? Good stuff, but not about to make me convert.

I know I'm picking on Christianity here. Rest assured other religions I've looked into aren't much better with the exception of possibly Buddhism. However, the competitive advantage of making a lick of sense does not seem to have won it great numbers of adherents.

Anyway, that's my explanation for why.

Atheist.

I completely agree with you both (Heart and Victor)

Something I've always pondered is how people can become so militant in regards to their belief system that they become so engrossed that they don't care if they are hateful/hurtful because they are furthering their cause and that is more important to them.

To Oso:
    Thanks for telling us the reasons why you are an atheist and showing it's not parental indoctrination either.