User Tag List

123 Last

Default Is there a path to wisdom?

Is there a path to wisdom?

How can I know what I do not know? How can I trace that boundary between knowledge and ignorance?

In the dialogue “Apology” Plato writes about Socrates while in the dungeon just before drinking the hemlock that the citizens of Athens condemned him to be executed.

In the dungeon shortly before drinking from the hemlock cup Socrates spoke to his followers. He spoke about the accusations against him at the trial. He said that the sworn indictment against him was “Socrates is guilty of needless curiosity and meddling interference, inquiring into things beneath Earth and in the Sky…”

Socrates further adds that he is accused of teaching the people of Athens, to which Socrates vehemently denies that he is a teacher. He points out that in matters of wisdom he has only a small piece of that territory; the wisdom that he does have is the wisdom not to think he knows what he does not know. Socrates conjectures that he has the wisdom to recognize the boundary of his present knowledge and to search for that knowledge that he does not have. “So it seems at any rate I am wiser in this one small respect: I do not think I know what I do not.”

For Socrates a necessary component of wisdom is to comprehend what one is ignorant of.

Am I wise? Do I know what I am ignorant of? I certainly know that I am ignorant of astronomy and music. There are many things about which it is obvious to me that I am ignorant of. Are there things about which I am not even aware of my ignorance? Are there matters about which I think I am knowledgeable of but which I am, in fact, ignorant of?

When I ask myself these questions I become conscious of a great number of things about which I am ignorant. Does this mean I am like Socrates in this matter? I do not think so. Socrates is speaking about two types of ignorance about which most people are unconscious of.

I think that Socrates is speaking of our ‘burden of illusion’. People are unconscious of the superficiality of much that they think they know and they are unconscious of a vast domain of knowledge that is hidden from the non critical thinker.

The uncritical mind has no means for discovering these illusions. CT (Critical Thinking) is the keystone for discovering these illusions. The Catch-22 here is how can one develop a critical mind when they are deluded into thinking they have a critical mind?

When our educational system has not taught our citizens how to think critically how can our citizens ever pull themselves out of this deep hole of illusion?

“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble; it’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so”—Mark Twain

coberstakaDutchuncle

Critical thinking is an acquired taste.

And a taste for critical thinking will lead to an appetite for critical thinking.

But here, for instance, very few have the taste or the appetite for critical thinking.

And the fact that so many here belong to the cult of MBTI indicate this.

But just imagine what short work Socrates would make of MBTI.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Yea, it's called living and learning from life.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

you are already on the right path
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

experience
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain View Post
    experience
    The self-taught have an ignoramus for a student and a fool for a teacher.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

my book at least says: infp unequals wisdom

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

oh, man.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

care to explain ? no ? ok

I know only one thing for sure about wisdom. Even if you question yourself a thousand times per second, it doesnt mean you are not wise. You just have to remember the things and keep them in mind to learn from it. Otherwise its gone and wisdom wont develop.

Comes with age tho, thats my opinion

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Live your life and learn from your mistakes. That will make you wise. I don't think there is a shortcut to wisdom, either.
    INFJ
    4w5