First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    two
    Socionics
    ESE

Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain View Post
    All this advise seems related self teaching.
    You could give buddhism a try. The nice thing about it is a lot of the teachings are more psychologuy than religion, but if you want spiritualism it's there too. Check out the NKT and books by geshe kelsang gyatso
    -There is nothing either good nor ill but thinking makes it so.

MBTI
    STP

What is self teaching though? Is reading a book self teaching, or must we actually learn it from scratch ourself? Why is a teacher much different from a book? Either way if we learn without applying our own perception all we are doing is understanding what someone else thinks, in this sense all we are doing is learning what they think they know. Without our own perception how do we know they are correct? The key to being self taught is a desire to learn combined with a desire to compare what we see to what we learned. We must combine both internal and external perception along with internal and external judging. So the key to wisdom and learning is to understand who we are and use it to the best of our ability.

MBTI I dont think really helped me understand who I am, just helped me accept who I am along with those around me that I dont understand.

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    MBTI I dont think really helped me understand who I am, just helped me accept who I am along with those around me that I dont understand.
    The problem is, Poki, not that you accept yourself; nor that you accept me; but that you accept MBTI.

And what I would like to see, Poki, is that you accept yourself and me, and that you accept intellectual integrity.

For acceptance is very nice, but without accepting intellectual integrity, we become absurd.

MBTI
    ESFJ

According to pure_mercury (and William Blake), the road of excess leads to the path of wisdom.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The problem is, Poki, not that you accept yourself; nor that you accept me; but that you accept MBTI.

And what I would like to see, Poki, is that you accept yourself and me, and that you accept intellectual integrity.

For acceptance is very nice, but without accepting intellectual integrity, we become absurd.
    What makes you think I dont accept you? Unless you understand me you dont understand how I think nor how I see the world. I can point out so many flaws in MBTI that cause it to fall apart, but when you understand the flaws, you can find the good and at that point you can accept MBTI for what it is. You see this is also the key to accepting a person for who they are.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

sure, follow me.

Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ISFJ

Why be wise when you can be a fool and actually live life? Shoot me if I ever turn into a wise old man, please.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Why be wise when you can be a fool and actually live life? Shoot me if I ever turn into a wise old man, please.
    That's wisdom actually, the knowledge needed to live a good life.

Most clich 'wise men' are just failures. We see them as wise because it seems to easy to apply wise to somebody who simply lives his life fully.

wisdom is more about 'street smarts' than dusty books. The contemplative life'll lead you nowhere, sure won't make your corpse any prettier.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ENTP

Define wisdom, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    Fiver is correct, it is freeing to not have to impress someone, to be accepted for who you really are.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    That's wisdom actually, the knowledge needed to live a good life.
    From a personal perspective, yes I agree. Within a social context, I would personally define it based on "live and let live". I mean, Vlad the impaler et others, might have discovered their secret to happiness, for all I know.

Wisdom as a socially revered trait, needs to be something showing some form of consideration for others I think.

But it's all highly subjective anyway.

Btw the way I meant my post was
    Why be "wise" when you can be a "fool" and actually live life? Shoot me if I ever turn into a "wise old man", please.
    Should have probably put the "s there. So yeah I agree that the clich is not something that appeals to me all too much.