• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is there a path to wisdom?

Kungpowish

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
two
All this advise seems related self teaching.

You could give buddhism a try. The nice thing about it is a lot of the teachings are more psychologuy than religion, but if you want spiritualism it's there too. Check out the NKT and books by geshe kelsang gyatso

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What is self teaching though? Is reading a book self teaching, or must we actually learn it from scratch ourself? Why is a teacher much different from a book? Either way if we learn without applying our own perception all we are doing is understanding what someone else thinks, in this sense all we are doing is learning what they think they know. Without our own perception how do we know they are correct? The key to being self taught is a desire to learn combined with a desire to compare what we see to what we learned. We must combine both internal and external perception along with internal and external judging. So the key to wisdom and learning is to understand who we are and use it to the best of our ability.

MBTI I dont think really helped me understand who I am, just helped me accept who I am along with those around me that I dont understand.

Mole

Permabanned
MBTI I dont think really helped me understand who I am, just helped me accept who I am along with those around me that I dont understand.

The problem is, Poki, not that you accept yourself; nor that you accept me; but that you accept MBTI.

And what I would like to see, Poki, is that you accept yourself and me, and that you accept intellectual integrity.

For acceptance is very nice, but without accepting intellectual integrity, we become absurd.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
According to pure_mercury (and William Blake), the road of excess leads to the path of wisdom.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The problem is, Poki, not that you accept yourself; nor that you accept me; but that you accept MBTI.

And what I would like to see, Poki, is that you accept yourself and me, and that you accept intellectual integrity.

For acceptance is very nice, but without accepting intellectual integrity, we become absurd.

What makes you think I dont accept you? Unless you understand me you dont understand how I think nor how I see the world. I can point out so many flaws in MBTI that cause it to fall apart, but when you understand the flaws, you can find the good and at that point you can accept MBTI for what it is. You see this is also the key to accepting a person for who they are.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Why be wise when you can be a fool and actually live life? Shoot me if I ever turn into a wise old man, please.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Why be wise when you can be a fool and actually live life? Shoot me if I ever turn into a wise old man, please.

That's wisdom actually, the knowledge needed to live a good life.

Most cliché 'wise men' are just failures. We see them as wise because it seems to easy to apply wise to somebody who simply lives his life fully.

wisdom is more about 'street smarts' than dusty books. The contemplative life'll lead you nowhere, sure won't make your corpse any prettier.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
That's wisdom actually, the knowledge needed to live a good life.

From a personal perspective, yes I agree. Within a social context, I would personally define it based on "live and let live". I mean, Vlad the impaler et others, might have discovered their secret to happiness, for all I know.

Wisdom as a socially revered trait, needs to be something showing some form of consideration for others I think.

But it's all highly subjective anyway.

Btw the way I meant my post was
Why be "wise" when you can be a "fool" and actually live life? Shoot me if I ever turn into a "wise old man", please.
Should have probably put the "s there. So yeah I agree that the cliché is not something that appeals to me all too much.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes. Step 1 is to send me money.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Wisdom works best with a well developed intuition.
For then you can use your sixth sense to get yourself out of binds and know which path in life's corridors is wiser to follow.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Yea, it's called living and learning from life.

+1

You get confidence and wisdom from living and learning. Don't fight this law of nature.. because everything is most enjoyable and most comfortable when it has been earned and acquired through struggle and effort.

It is such an easy answer.. but often the simplest things are the most difficult to accept.