• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why are atheists thought ill of?

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Atheists suspend the issue of God's existence? No they don't. Everytime an atheist does not go to church, synagogue, mosque, temple, etc., and everytime they do not pray meditate, or abide by religious commandments, they express with their actions a clear judgement of their beliefs about God and the afterlife. The costs of being wrong may be enormous, and yet few atheists are indecisive when they decide not to join in worship, or adherence to religious doctrine. They have judged, because they must judge: reality presents us with no fence to sit on, but demands action, decision, and judgement.

that's out of context sir - I'm not saying "atheists suspend the issue of God", I'm saying Theists get upset when God ISN'T an issue, or some sort integral part of how they digest the world.

to them, that's suspending the issue of God. Atheists do this quite regularly and are not at all bashful about how little they need to believe in God. That's the ball-o-wax right there

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I haven't seen any radical Islamist terrorists fight for Twinkies. Have you?

That says that some religious people fight and get in eachother's business, but that doesn't say anything about whether atheists do or not.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't automatically think ill of atheists. I have friends who are atheists and I have no beef with them, even though I'm a spiritual person.

However, I have encountered a few atheists - particularly on line - who feel a need to pompously "correct" religious people, even if those religious people are tolerant, liberal religious people who initially had no beef with him. I say him, because the two clearest examples I can think of are male. I'm not saying that this is relevant.

ANYWAY, so yeah, I do have a problem with the ignorant notion that some atheists prescribe to that they're "smarter" or more educated, when in fact a person can be a high school drop out and be an atheist, and hold multiple PhDs and be a Catholic. But atheists in general, not necessarily.

Basically I don't bother them or judge them unless they start it.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
If you don't follow a "moral guideline", then why is killing people wrong? And let's not stop there, why is anything "wrong", or "right"?

I'm not trying to open a can of worms here. I really want to know. Most of the agnostics/atheists that I know answer with "It's against the law", to which I respond, "Where did your political law come from", and we go back and forth throughout history until we hit the Bible.

Why do you assume that atheists don't follow a moral guideline?

I wouldn't want other people in my society killing me, raping me, stealing my things, etc.
Nobody does. It is only natural that it carries over to other people as well and that people would then make laws based on it.

There is no cosmic reason to it, it is in our nature. Necessary for our species, and ourselves to survive. It's not only humans either.

If I needed firewood, it would be easiest for me to just to tear my house apart, rather than going to the forest. But then I wouldn't have a house. Just because I could, doesn't mean I should.

"Morals" weren't created by the Bible, they have existed since the dawn of man and have since been adapted and improved. Christianity and The Bible are pretty much newcomers anyway..

Also, I don't see how a book that advocates slavery, female degradation and killing for stupid reasons should be taken as some moral cornerstone.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Atheists are treated like any other zealot. With suspicion and pity. A closed mind works in both directions. Toward belief and away from belief.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Why do you assume that atheists don't follow a moral guideline?

I wouldn't want other people in my society killing me, raping me, stealing my things, etc.
Nobody does. It is only natural that it carries over to other people as well and that people would then make laws based on it.

There is no cosmic reason to it, it is in our nature. Necessary for our species, and ourselves to survive. It's not only humans either.

If I needed firewood, it would be easiest for me to just to tear my house apart, rather than going to the forest. But then I wouldn't have a house. Just because I could, doesn't mean I should.

"Morals" weren't created by the Bible, they have existed since the dawn of man and have since been adapted and improved. Christianity and The Bible are pretty much newcomers anyway..

Also, I don't see how a book that advocates slavery, female degradation and killing for stupid reasons should be taken as some moral cornerstone.

What he said.

Also, this article, because I'm too lazy to type stuff of my own right now.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Every manner in which a man may identify himself leaves him open to attack because we are animals, and in the animal kingdom you are either helping me flourish or you are a threat.

Competing ideologies compete for resources: followers, who have the money, manpower, land, etc.

And that is why atheists are thought ill of.

MBTI Type
INxJ
For the record, though, I want to differentiate my opinion on unquestioning people and religious people. I do not think that being religious means you are unquestioning, but, unquestioning people do seem to be religious fanatics quite frequently.

This Mormon girl insisted her beliefs are right due to her holy book, and the words of the current proxy to God. Any info to the contrary is attacking the one true church, and testing the faith of the followers. Mind you, most of Joseph Smith's claims have been invalidated as false, or plagiarism. The girl purposely doesn't consider any data outside of what the LDS prophet, and apostles deem as appropriate.

The individuals that would fall apart without certain beliefs guiding their life, tend to be fanatics.

Every manner in which a man may identify himself leaves him open to attack because we are animals, and in the animal kingdom you are either helping me flourish or you are a threat.

Competing ideologies compete for resources: followers, who have the money, manpower, land, etc.

There's definitely truth in that statement.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I've had some interesting conversations with friends lately about athiests and been surprised to find that many think some weird things about atheists and atheism like:

-Atheists are without morals
-Atheists cannot be normal nice people
-Atheism promotes lawlessness
-Atheists are arrogant because they don't believe there is something higher than them
-Atheists don't have a sense of purpose in life
-Atheists don't deserve the same respect as everyone else
-Atheists don't respect other people
-A rise in Atheism is making the planet corrupt
-If you say you are an Atheist you are trying to convert everyone to your beliefs which is wrong but it's OK to try to convert an Atheist
-It's OK to question Atheists about why they don't believe in God but not OK for them to question why people do.

None of those things are particularly true so where do these attitudes come from? It seems the majority of people I know subscribe to at least one of these beliefs. :huh:

What? Okay, first of all, anyone who thinks any of the above is just close-minded, and their opinion shouldn't count for much anyway. Atheism is a religion on its own, IMO. The lack of belief in something is a belief itself. Values are not born of the Bible, nor are they born from the Koran, or from the Torah, or from any one religion, really. I believe all people have their own moral code--they just vary according to individual. Even within organized religion, those morals vary.

It's when people don't respect others' religions or others' beliefs that people get upset with atheists. Which can be said for any person of any religion. It's unfair to get upset with one group of people just because they can't hold the same beliefs you do. As long as you can defend what you believe, that's all that matters.

And for the record, if you believe in God, someone has the right to ask you about it and get an answer besides "JUST BECAUSE BIBLE SAYS." Know what you believe. Don't spit out nonsense and hope someone else agrees with you. Listen, be flexible. Religion is such a fascinating thing if you really talk to people about it. When you close your mind to others' perceptions, you're missing out on a wealth of knowledge and understanding.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Atheists are zealots now? :huh:

I guess this idea comes from the fact that atheists believe that God does not exist even though there is no evidence to prove that belief beyond all doubt. This suggests that their belief stems from the passions and not from reason. Couple that fact with the media prominence of some of the more vocal atheists (e.g., Dawkins) and you get the appearance of fanaticism.

Of course, atheists would probably argue in return that you don't need absolute proof to rationally hold a belief. You can simply have a strong degree of evidential support. And in their estimation, there is strong support for the non-existence of a deity (a la Dawkins). Or at least a certain interpretation of the Christian deity.

Given that many of those who call atheists "dogmatic" do so because they see atheists pushing for the addition or removal of public policies that are enmeshed in the religion debate, I think that attacking atheists on the basis of their "irrational" beliefs (and from there, dogmatism) is unfair. Atheist's public concerns over religion inevitably have to do with the way that religion is affecting us in the social realm. And decisions made in the social realm (i.e., public policy decisions) are almost always made without metaphysical certitude. I therefore do not find policy-pushing done on the basis of atheism to be a sign of dogma or fanaticism on its own. To earn that name, the policies that they are pushing for would have to be in violation of basic freedoms guaranteed us by the law.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I guess this idea comes from the fact that atheists believe that God does not exist even though there is no evidence to prove that belief beyond all doubt.

And also the misunderstanding that atheism is the belief that god(s) does not exist. Rather, it is the nonbelief in god(s). There's a subtle difference. The first is a positive assertion, "I believe gods don't exist". The second is simply a denial of the position that gods exist.

Which for practical purposes, nulls the no evidence for no gods point. It isn't the atheist's job to prove that there is no god, but rather the theists job to provide evidence that there is a god.

</pet peeve>

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Atheists are treated like any other zealot. With suspicion and pity. A closed mind works in both directions. Toward belief and away from belief.

That's only gnostic atheism, which you are correct is just as silly as religious fanaticism. It's referred to here as "positive atheism" or "strong atheism."

The label "atheism", however, also encompasses "agnostic atheism", aka "weak atheism" or "negative atheism", which, as the above linked article explains, is not what you might think the term "atheist" automatically connotes.

Agnostic atheists don't have blind faith that there isn't any God; they simply lack belief in any particular deity.

Jaguar

A closed mind works in both directions?
A closed mind doesn't even have any direction.
It's dead.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
silly...people always skew things to fit their negative view. they need to make room for other explanations.

like really...you can only know your truth...right? everyone's is different and based on their unique life experience. no one really knows so stop trying to shove your opinion down others throats.

i appreciate atheists for being brave enough to question....think for yourself damn it. that's what it's all about. i get it.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Atheists are zealots now? :huh:

I think Synarch is being snarky again.

Zealots are militant believers who usually walk around professing their believes as the only tolerable beliefs, if not forcing it upon other people.

Just because one is an atheist that does not make him a zealot. That statement is fucking bunk.

Richard Dawkins is a atheist zealot. Lance Armstrong is an atheist but not a zealot.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
galvotefor.gif

Atheism as a concept is an affront to God fearing people and it challenges their deepest held beliefs, so when that concept becomes embodied into a person, the atheist, a lot of that will translate. I also think that moral relativism, which is associated with atheism, isn't a commonly accepted way of thinking, yet. But because it makes so much more sense than moral absolutism, I think it will gain favor over time.