User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 366

  1. #51
    See Right Through Me Bubbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    1,037

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon View Post
    I've had some interesting conversations with friends lately about athiests and been surprised to find that many think some weird things about atheists and atheism like:

    -Atheists are without morals
    -Atheists cannot be normal nice people
    -Atheism promotes lawlessness
    -Atheists are arrogant because they don't believe there is something higher than them
    -Atheists don't have a sense of purpose in life
    -Atheists don't deserve the same respect as everyone else
    -Atheists don't respect other people
    -A rise in Atheism is making the planet corrupt
    -If you say you are an Atheist you are trying to convert everyone to your beliefs which is wrong but it's OK to try to convert an Atheist
    -It's OK to question Atheists about why they don't believe in God but not OK for them to question why people do.

    None of those things are particularly true so where do these attitudes come from? It seems the majority of people I know subscribe to at least one of these beliefs.
    What? Okay, first of all, anyone who thinks any of the above is just close-minded, and their opinion shouldn't count for much anyway. Atheism is a religion on its own, IMO. The lack of belief in something is a belief itself. Values are not born of the Bible, nor are they born from the Koran, or from the Torah, or from any one religion, really. I believe all people have their own moral code--they just vary according to individual. Even within organized religion, those morals vary.

    It's when people don't respect others' religions or others' beliefs that people get upset with atheists. Which can be said for any person of any religion. It's unfair to get upset with one group of people just because they can't hold the same beliefs you do. As long as you can defend what you believe, that's all that matters.

    And for the record, if you believe in God, someone has the right to ask you about it and get an answer besides "JUST BECAUSE BIBLE SAYS." Know what you believe. Don't spit out nonsense and hope someone else agrees with you. Listen, be flexible. Religion is such a fascinating thing if you really talk to people about it. When you close your mind to others' perceptions, you're missing out on a wealth of knowledge and understanding.
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

    My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

    DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)

  2. #52
    Senior Member Feops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INTx
    Posts
    829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Atheists are treated like any other zealot. With suspicion and pity. A closed mind works in both directions. Toward belief and away from belief.
    Atheists are zealots now?

  3. #53
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    Atheists are zealots now?
    I guess this idea comes from the fact that atheists believe that God does not exist even though there is no evidence to prove that belief beyond all doubt. This suggests that their belief stems from the passions and not from reason. Couple that fact with the media prominence of some of the more vocal atheists (e.g., Dawkins) and you get the appearance of fanaticism.

    Of course, atheists would probably argue in return that you don't need absolute proof to rationally hold a belief. You can simply have a strong degree of evidential support. And in their estimation, there is strong support for the non-existence of a deity (a la Dawkins). Or at least a certain interpretation of the Christian deity.

    Given that many of those who call atheists "dogmatic" do so because they see atheists pushing for the addition or removal of public policies that are enmeshed in the religion debate, I think that attacking atheists on the basis of their "irrational" beliefs (and from there, dogmatism) is unfair. Atheist's public concerns over religion inevitably have to do with the way that religion is affecting us in the social realm. And decisions made in the social realm (i.e., public policy decisions) are almost always made without metaphysical certitude. I therefore do not find policy-pushing done on the basis of atheism to be a sign of dogma or fanaticism on its own. To earn that name, the policies that they are pushing for would have to be in violation of basic freedoms guaranteed us by the law.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  4. #54
    rawr Costrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    2,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I guess this idea comes from the fact that atheists believe that God does not exist even though there is no evidence to prove that belief beyond all doubt.
    And also the misunderstanding that atheism is the belief that god(s) does not exist. Rather, it is the nonbelief in god(s). There's a subtle difference. The first is a positive assertion, "I believe gods don't exist". The second is simply a denial of the position that gods exist.

    Which for practical purposes, nulls the no evidence for no gods point. It isn't the atheist's job to prove that there is no god, but rather the theists job to provide evidence that there is a god.

    </pet peeve>
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

  5. #55
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Atheists are treated like any other zealot. With suspicion and pity. A closed mind works in both directions. Toward belief and away from belief.
    That's only gnostic atheism, which you are correct is just as silly as religious fanaticism. It's referred to here as "positive atheism" or "strong atheism."

    The label "atheism", however, also encompasses "agnostic atheism", aka "weak atheism" or "negative atheism", which, as the above linked article explains, is not what you might think the term "atheist" automatically connotes.

    Agnostic atheists don't have blind faith that there isn't any God; they simply lack belief in any particular deity.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  6. #56
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Atheists are treated like any other zealot. With suspicion and pity. A closed mind works in both directions. Toward belief and away from belief.
    A closed mind works in both directions?
    A closed mind doesn't even have any direction.
    It's dead.

  7. #57
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    silly...people always skew things to fit their negative view. they need to make room for other explanations.

    like really...you can only know your truth...right? everyone's is different and based on their unique life experience. no one really knows so stop trying to shove your opinion down others throats.

    i appreciate atheists for being brave enough to question....think for yourself damn it. that's what it's all about. i get it.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  8. #58
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    Atheists are zealots now?
    I think Synarch is being snarky again.

    Zealots are militant believers who usually walk around professing their believes as the only tolerable beliefs, if not forcing it upon other people.

    Just because one is an atheist that does not make him a zealot. That statement is fucking bunk.

    Richard Dawkins is a atheist zealot. Lance Armstrong is an atheist but not a zealot.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  9. #59
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default



    Atheism as a concept is an affront to God fearing people and it challenges their deepest held beliefs, so when that concept becomes embodied into a person, the atheist, a lot of that will translate. I also think that moral relativism, which is associated with atheism, isn't a commonly accepted way of thinking, yet. But because it makes so much more sense than moral absolutism, I think it will gain favor over time.

  10. #60
    DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    Hype
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    ^well said! Sad INTP Pandas FTW

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFJ] Why are ENFJ's afraid to reflect- what are the type of dark thoughts they avoid??
    By ladypinkington in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-07-2012, 06:39 PM
  2. Why are people so ashamed of themselves?
    By Elfboy in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 02-01-2012, 07:26 PM
  3. [MBTItm] Why are all the NFs jealous of the NTs?
    By ThatsWhatHeSaid in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 161
    Last Post: 06-24-2009, 12:19 AM
  4. What are your thoughts of microsociology and metaphysical philosophy?
    By ladypinkington in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-15-2009, 11:00 AM
  5. Has anyone heard of Global Dimming and if so what are your thoughts on it??
    By ladypinkington in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 06:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO