User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon View Post
    I've had some interesting conversations with friends lately about athiests and been surprised to find that many think some weird things about atheists and atheism like:

-Atheists are without morals
    -Atheists cannot be normal nice people
    -Atheism promotes lawlessness
    -Atheists are arrogant because they don't believe there is something higher than them
    -Atheists don't have a sense of purpose in life
    -Atheists don't deserve the same respect as everyone else
    -Atheists don't respect other people
    -A rise in Atheism is making the planet corrupt
    -If you say you are an Atheist you are trying to convert everyone to your beliefs which is wrong but it's OK to try to convert an Atheist
    -It's OK to question Atheists about why they don't believe in God but not OK for them to question why people do.

None of those things are particularly true so where do these attitudes come from? It seems the majority of people I know subscribe to at least one of these beliefs.
    People tend to divide the world into "us" and "them." Sometimes this is taken further, and negative traits are attributed to "them," while positive traits are attributed to "us." This may well be the origin of the concepts of "good" and "evil."

In a nutshell, many religious people see themselves as on the side of right, and believe that anyone who isn't on their side must automatically be on the side of wrong. This is most prevalent in people who identify more strongly with their religion than anything else they're a part of.

I should also point out that this kind of thinking is hardly limited to religion. It happens in politics and countless other things as well.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

cause often they're jackasses. You wouldn't go "Junk food is bad for you!" if you saw a person eating junk food, so why would you say "there is no god!" if you knew someone believed in god?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by run View Post
    cause often they're jackasses. You wouldn't go "Junk food is bad for you!" if you saw a person eating junk food, so why would you say "there is no god!" if you knew someone believed in god?
    I haven't seen any radical Islamist terrorists fight for Twinkies. Have you?
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by run View Post
    A lot of the athiests I'm friends with aren't overtly opinionated about it, especially if religious people are present, and discussing their beliefs [discussing, not actively trying to convert]. Most athiestic people I know [myself included], don't see the point in pushing their views on others, or forcing discussion of it with someone who is obviously not receptive. However, most won't hesitate to offer an honest response rearding their beliefs [or, really, lack thereof] if anyone asks about it. That seems reasonable to me.

There are probably equal amounts of overzealous, overbearing people within every sect. It's less to do with the faith itself and more to do with people who are just "jackasses" in general..
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    I haven't seen any radical Islamist terrorists fight for Twinkies. Have you?
    That's because Twinkies are bad for you.

We shouldn't even be discussing Twinkies. It's a sensitive topic.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    Maybe you're getting science and statistics mixed up. You've given the completely wrong definition of science. Science is a method for experimentally testing hypotheses. Science is the ongoing study of the predictability of nature.
    There is no mix-up. Science is many things to many people.

There are important and interesting questions about truth, testability, and observation, but, for the most part, "science" has been defined to deligitimise particular kinds of beliefs. The first philosophers of science were more explicit about this, and often made it quite clear that there goal was to banish some ideas (like metaphysics) from sensible and rational debate. So, in accordance with that goal, they developed methods of "science" to control what kind of beliefs would be acceptable.

Unfortunately, it's nothing other than the genetic fallacy writ large, but then that is also 99% of philosophy. Before the word "science" was used, it was the word "knowledge". The purpose is always the same: control debate by deligitimising any idea that cannot be arrived at by a proposed method. It is, therefore, not surprising, when most "rational" and "scientific" controversies side-line goals like truth, and instead focus on what The Method deems it acceptable to believe.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Atheism is really scientific agnosticism, but we can't call it that otherwise we'd be confused with all the mystics.
    omg I think .... I think Eck made a good point! OMG

No kidding, I think that hit the nail on the head. The "problem with Atheists" isn't that they don't believe or disbelieve or anything pertaining to that, it's that they have suspended the issue altogether and not made it a part of how people understand their world and the events of the day.

Theists don't like it when you keep God in suspended animation. I don't like the hatred and contempt for atheists, but that reaction to their worldview is understandable imo

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Because they suck. Duh.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ESFJ

Atheists suspend the issue of God's existence? No they don't. Everytime an atheist does not go to church, synagogue, mosque, temple, etc., and everytime they do not pray meditate, or abide by religious commandments, they express with their actions a clear judgement of their beliefs about God and the afterlife. The costs of being wrong may be enormous, and yet few atheists are indecisive when they decide not to join in worship, or adherence to religious doctrine. They have judged, because they must judge: reality presents us with no fence to sit on, but demands action, decision, and judgement.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ISTj

If you don't follow a "moral guideline", then why is killing people wrong? And let's not stop there, why is anything "wrong", or "right"?

I'm not trying to open a can of worms here. I really want to know. Most of the agnostics/atheists that I know answer with "It's against the law", to which I respond, "Where did your political law come from", and we go back and forth throughout history until we hit the Bible.

Always remember to flank your enemies. History won't remember how dramatic your failed frontal assault looked. - Dragon Age: Origins