User Tag List

First 2634353637 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I don't like most atheists for the same reason I don't like super conservative Christians. They each try to tell me what to believe and why they are right. It's just arrogance on all sides because neither can be proved or disproved so both sides should just shut up about their personal beliefs.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Enneagram
    9w8

I admit to not reading every post on this thread and I admit to having known only a handful of atheists. But all that I have known have been quite narrow minded and usually a bit arrogant. That's not to say they all are, just the ones I've met.

WALMART

It takes a lot to outright be vocal about your belief in God, just as so your disbelief. It's an overall dull subject for anyone sufficiently versed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    Why I think ill of atheists: I don't care that atheists don't believe in deities. My problem with them is how they seem to think they're the smartest or most open-minded people in the universe because they're atheists and act about as righteous about their metaphysical ideas as the theists they criticize for doing the same thing. And they are also the cause of so much of the poisonous political correctness in this world, like correcting someone who says "Merry Xmas" by saying, "No, it's Happy Holidays," thereby being insensitive to the Xmas person's beliefs. I dunno, but I think saying "Happy Holidays" is the most spineless greeting; at least take a stand and say "Bah Humbug" if you don't celebrate any of the Xmas, Yule, Winter Solstice, or related bullshit.
    I have probably never said this before, but The U is pretty much exactly right on all counts.

I believe in God, but I don't hate atheism. I get it. I've dated several atheists and it's fine. It's the haughty condescension that I can't abide. It's the notion that people who believe in God are like people who think The Onion is real. It's people like these fucktards who give atheism a bad name.

In the end, no matter whether atheists or believers are right, we're pretty much in the same place on the spectrum of how much we know vs. how much there is to know - low. That's why I don't get the attitude.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I think it is because they bring the idea that we are just animals fighting for resources to the forefront which undercuts various social contracts and to most implies a universe of opportunism that they must exist in as sociopaths to survive.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

After reading this it makes some sense why some atheists overstate their position socially.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ts-we-distrust

I used to get a little offended in online debates about the existence of god when some individual atheist posters took an arrogant position. Eye-roll emoticons and being told I had an imaginary friend did not convince me of their position. As I thought about the discussions over time I realized that poor social skills is not a reason to reject a position, so I focused on the concepts. As time goes further by I start to understand the tendency towards overstatement.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    In the end, no matter whether atheists or believers are right, we're pretty much in the same place on the spectrum of how much we know vs. how much there is to know - low. That's why I don't get the attitude.
    It's worth looking at the reason anyone has the attitude of certainty - we desire to feel some control over reality over which we have almost no control. There can also be the issue of overstatement as described above. Your statement about the limitation of human comprehension is something that has always resonated with me. There are different scales to view understanding from, and it is also relevant to examine the small scale of continually refining what knowledge we have and valuing the importance of being able to revise one's thinking towards more correct understanding even by a small fact. That our comprehension is limited can cause a nihilistic view that there is no point in understanding if everything cannot be understood, but it can also inspire an especially rigorous and conscientious approach to understanding. Realizing our hardware is limited, we need to work all the harder to make progress in correct thinking.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I wouldn't confine it to just judeo-christian; this is an issue larger than the USA.
    Sure, Ayaan Hirsi Ali is an example of a muslim atheist. And there are hindu atheists, and judaic atheists, as well as christian atheists. And everyone here is an atheist in the ancient Greek religion of Poseidon and Zeus.

MBTI
    FREE

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I dont believe they are but they need to feel they are.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I have probably never said this before, but The U is pretty much exactly right on all counts.

I believe in God, but I don't hate atheism. I get it. I've dated several atheists and it's fine. It's the haughty condescension that I can't abide. It's the notion that people who believe in God are like people who think The Onion is real. It's people like these fucktards who give atheism a bad name.

I think it's dangerous that when people like Dawkins present the basics of modern evolutionary biology in a format and manner that's comprehensible to laymen of a degree of intelligence, people throw themselves into fits of histrionics about how he's "just as bad as the people who believe in God."

When schools are actively neglecting to teach of evolution (or shoehorning "creationism" into school curricula), it's important for something to be said. Unfortunately, people can only think from their own mindset, and emotional, histrionic people assume everyone else is being emotional and histrionic and hear not the calm presentation of facts, but just another voice in a shouting match.

Which is to say: I think most of the "haughty condescension" is imagined.

(Digression: What's wrong with "Happy Holidays" as a greeting? It acknowledges that this is a time of year when several holidays important to separate groups are celebrated. I don't understand this seething mistrust of social graces and common etiquette you have, U.)
    Last edited by Mycroft; 01-01-2013 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Added a digression. (And fixed a capitalization error because I am anal-retentive.)
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --