Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yes, to call someone a troll here is simply an insult.
    Isn't it also a bigger insult to be called someone who sticks up for pederasses?
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

I wasn't aware that they were 'ill thought of' because they were an atheist. Seems to me, atheists are more 'accepted' than christians that live what they believe are?
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

MBTI
    INTJ

I think there's a tendency with atheists to purposefully set themselves apart and hope they're offensive to religious people. So I also think that the extent to which atheists are "thought ill of" is probably exaggerated by atheists themselves.
    I think that's definitely a problem of how atheists are seen and how many behave. If they act more out of rebellion and to be offensive, like you say, it removes some of their credibility since their atheism is seemingly for the wrong reasons.

I've never believed in any being of any sort. I remember being in bed when I was about four and trying to figure out where I would go after I died. I came to the conclusion I be in the same state as before I was born. For me, not believing in a deity is as natural as breathing, but I have a friend who's beliefs are because he's rebelling from his staunchly religious mother and he is quite a bit more fanatical. He is quite active in forcing it down people's throats. I think its the difference between those who are at peace with their beliefs and those who aren't.
    Theirs is not to make reply
    Theirs is not to reason why
    Theirs is but to do and die

Tennyson, Lord Alfred

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Just curious, was Stalin a believer?

Anyway, blaming the angst of religious folks for violence is not a good assessment, especially since the branch of Islam most associated with it here is a radical one. Radical religion is only as dangerous as any other radical.

It could be that places in which atheism is in the majority are reacting against their past in which religion played a major role, and resulted in major problems.

I think it is definite that the context in which one lives largely influences their degree of belief or disbelief. In an atheist context of living, how would one have easy access to religious knowledge, and vice versa?
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    If stating an opinion makes one a troll, we have an entire forum of trolls.
    You were not stating an opinion, but making knee-jerk remarks about my faith.

Your post doesn't make much sense.
    Then place me on ignore, and move on with life. I won't shed a damn tear.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingAboutIt View Post
    I wasn't aware that they were 'ill thought of' because they were an atheist. Seems to me, atheists are more 'accepted' than christians that live what they believe are?
    "Your voice is like chocolate...dreamy."
    --WildHorses

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I wonder if atheists are still bottom of the barrel in the U.S. after the notorious antics of the Westboro Baptist Church...
    Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)
    The More You Know the Less You Need. - Aboriginal Saying

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacuss View Post
    I wonder if atheists are still bottom of the barrel in the U.S. after the notorious antics of the Westboro Baptist Church...
    Here an atheist is at the top of our barrel - just look to your left to gaze into the eyes of our Prime Ministerial atheist. Say G'day to Julia, but hold your breath, and don't hold her gaze for too long. lest you become an atheist too.

MBTI
    ISTx

Atheists are thought ill of because their views and questioning threaten traditional, prevalanet judeo-christian beliefs. No more no less really.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

they`re believed to not have compassion because they don`t serve god. they are free agents unbound. this is from the people i have met. im agnostic
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee