User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Like that ^
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Like that ^
    Science isn't a religion, technology is. And yes, they believe that atheists are to be looked down upon. I can prove it. Not even close to every atheist says believing in god is stupid. I don't. But if you believe in god, you should at least have the good sense to follow his word and love thy neighbor.

MBTI
    ESFJ

It's unfortunate that the atheists who are smug assholes make other ones look like assholes, too. Kinda like the religious people who blow other people up "for God." They aren't doing much for their argument, either.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

You're right.

... It's unfortunate God let us be in this shameful state that we see the world... or did He?

MBTI
    INTP

For the record, though, I want to differentiate my opinion on unquestioning people and religious people. I do not think that being religious means you are unquestioning, but, unquestioning people do seem to be religious fanatics quite frequently.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    For the record, though, I want to differentiate my opinion on unquestioning people and religious people. I do not think that being religious means you are unquestioning, but, unquestioning people do seem to be religious fanatics quite frequently.

True, but lots of atheists are pretty self-satisfied, too. When an atheist says something like, "Religious people are just afraid of the truth" (which we have seen in this thread), it just sounds stupid and self-righteous. The truth is, nobody knows for certain how the universe started and what happens after we die. If you use your own notions of what we cannot see to cut down other people in this lifetime, you're wrong no matter what you believe.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    Science isn't a religion, technology is. And yes, they believe that atheists are to be looked down upon. I can prove it. Not even close to every atheist says believing in god is stupid. I don't. But if you believe in god, you should at least have the good sense to follow his word and love thy neighbor.
    Technology isn't a religion. Technology is stuff.

MBTI
    ESFJ

After considerable investigation, I am quite convinced that "science" is nothing more than a political tool.

Intellectuals create a method by which it is impossible to arrive at any conclusion they disagree with, and then call that method "science". Anything "unscientific" is branded illegitimate. Should any disagreeable ideas somehow sneak by, then the method will be revised until the disagreeable ideas are banished.

This isn't a new thing, either. Philosophers play the same game with the word "knowledge". It's a little sad and pathetic, really.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    Technology isn't a religion. Technology is stuff.
    Thank you, Captain Obvious. I was actually using a metaphor there! I guess I should have made it more clear that there is no deity behind technology, nor written scripture handed down from said nonexistent deity which outlines how technology should be worshiped. I was actually saying that many people seem to blindly put faith in technological development just like how a lot of people blindly put faith in religion. That was a response to someone who said science in a religion, which in actuality the bare definition of science is the scientific method, which sort of undermines itself as a religion by saying that any scientific theory must be extremely well backed by experimental evidence and also, oddly enough, falsifiable.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by reason View Post
    After considerable investigation, I am quite convinced that "science" is nothing more than a political tool.

Intellectuals create a method by which it is impossible to arrive at any conclusion they disagree with, and then call that method "science". Anything "unscientific" is branded illegitimate. Should any disagreeable ideas somehow sneak by, then the method will be revised until the disagreeable ideas are banished.

This isn't a new thing, either. Philosophers play the same game with the word "knowledge". It's a little sad and pathetic, really.
    Maybe you're getting science and statistics mixed up. You've given the completely wrong definition of science. Science is a method for experimentally testing hypotheses. Science is the ongoing study of the predictability of nature.