User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 366

  1. #21

    Default

    Like that ^
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  2. #22
    Senior Member zago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Like that ^
    Science isn't a religion, technology is. And yes, they believe that atheists are to be looked down upon. I can prove it. Not even close to every atheist says believing in god is stupid. I don't. But if you believe in god, you should at least have the good sense to follow his word and love thy neighbor.

  3. #23
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    It's unfortunate that the atheists who are smug assholes make other ones look like assholes, too. Kinda like the religious people who blow other people up "for God." They aren't doing much for their argument, either.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  4. #24
    S Saiyan God Mace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te
    Posts
    2,141

    Default

    You're right.

    ... It's unfortunate God let us be in this shameful state that we see the world... or did He?

  5. #25
    Senior Member zago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,171

    Default

    For the record, though, I want to differentiate my opinion on unquestioning people and religious people. I do not think that being religious means you are unquestioning, but, unquestioning people do seem to be religious fanatics quite frequently.

  6. #26
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    For the record, though, I want to differentiate my opinion on unquestioning people and religious people. I do not think that being religious means you are unquestioning, but, unquestioning people do seem to be religious fanatics quite frequently.

    True, but lots of atheists are pretty self-satisfied, too. When an atheist says something like, "Religious people are just afraid of the truth" (which we have seen in this thread), it just sounds stupid and self-righteous. The truth is, nobody knows for certain how the universe started and what happens after we die. If you use your own notions of what we cannot see to cut down other people in this lifetime, you're wrong no matter what you believe.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  7. #27
    Senior Member Feops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INTx
    Posts
    829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    Science isn't a religion, technology is. And yes, they believe that atheists are to be looked down upon. I can prove it. Not even close to every atheist says believing in god is stupid. I don't. But if you believe in god, you should at least have the good sense to follow his word and love thy neighbor.
    Technology isn't a religion. Technology is stuff.

  8. #28
    Senior Member reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    After considerable investigation, I am quite convinced that "science" is nothing more than a political tool.

    Intellectuals create a method by which it is impossible to arrive at any conclusion they disagree with, and then call that method "science". Anything "unscientific" is branded illegitimate. Should any disagreeable ideas somehow sneak by, then the method will be revised until the disagreeable ideas are banished.

    This isn't a new thing, either. Philosophers play the same game with the word "knowledge". It's a little sad and pathetic, really.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

  9. #29
    Senior Member zago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    Technology isn't a religion. Technology is stuff.
    Thank you, Captain Obvious. I was actually using a metaphor there! I guess I should have made it more clear that there is no deity behind technology, nor written scripture handed down from said nonexistent deity which outlines how technology should be worshiped. I was actually saying that many people seem to blindly put faith in technological development just like how a lot of people blindly put faith in religion. That was a response to someone who said science in a religion, which in actuality the bare definition of science is the scientific method, which sort of undermines itself as a religion by saying that any scientific theory must be extremely well backed by experimental evidence and also, oddly enough, falsifiable.

  10. #30
    Senior Member zago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reason View Post
    After considerable investigation, I am quite convinced that "science" is nothing more than a political tool.

    Intellectuals create a method by which it is impossible to arrive at any conclusion they disagree with, and then call that method "science". Anything "unscientific" is branded illegitimate. Should any disagreeable ideas somehow sneak by, then the method will be revised until the disagreeable ideas are banished.

    This isn't a new thing, either. Philosophers play the same game with the word "knowledge". It's a little sad and pathetic, really.
    Maybe you're getting science and statistics mixed up. You've given the completely wrong definition of science. Science is a method for experimentally testing hypotheses. Science is the ongoing study of the predictability of nature.

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFJ] Why are ENFJ's afraid to reflect- what are the type of dark thoughts they avoid??
    By ladypinkington in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-07-2012, 06:39 PM
  2. Why are people so ashamed of themselves?
    By Elfboy in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 02-01-2012, 07:26 PM
  3. [MBTItm] Why are all the NFs jealous of the NTs?
    By ThatsWhatHeSaid in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 161
    Last Post: 06-24-2009, 12:19 AM
  4. What are your thoughts of microsociology and metaphysical philosophy?
    By ladypinkington in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-15-2009, 11:00 AM
  5. Has anyone heard of Global Dimming and if so what are your thoughts on it??
    By ladypinkington in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 06:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO