User Tag List

First 12202122232432 Last

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Atheism is not a "group". In France, it's rather a passive/default attitude. Live and let live!
    Sorry Blackmail!, but I simply know too much about the conflict between secularism and religion in French history to take this argument seriously.

You may complain about being harassed by Christians in America. However, I sincerely doubt it even compares to the harassment French priests and nuns had to endure on their way to the guillotine; how their deepest beliefs would be mocked, not least of which by being presented with communion chalices filled with pig's blood.

People in glass bastilles shouldn't throw stones.

For instance, in the US. Or when an Oberon, a Peguy or a CopyPaste just happen to cross their path.
    I only spring into action when people choose to talk shit about my beliefs. I have nothing against those who respectfully disagree with my views. Don't believe me, ask our resident pagan Amargith.

So I adhere to the principle of Live and let live.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    You may complain about being harassed by Christians in America. However, I sincerely doubt it even compares to the harassment French priests and nuns had to endure on their way to the guillotine; how their deepest beliefs would be mocked, not least of which by being presented with communion chalices filled with pig's blood.
    I think....Atheists have been harassed for multiple millenia, and things like the Spanish Inquisition, are.....I would say, at least equal to the harassment of the Christians in France. To put it simply. I think, atheists have had it far worse overall than Christians, at least since we stopped throwing the Christians to the lions in Rome. With that said, both sides have had plenty of terrible things happen to people of that belief (or lack thereof).
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    I think....Atheists have been harassed for multiple millenia, and things like the Spanish Inquisition, are.....I would say, at least equal to the harassment of the Christians in France. To put it simply. I think, atheists have had it far worse overall than Christians, at least since we stopped throwing the Christians to the lions in Rome. With that said, both sides have had plenty of terrible things happen to people of that belief (or lack thereof).
    After all that harrassment you'd think that atheists would leave people alone, but some of them seem just as bent on converting others (in an extraordinarily condecending way) as any fundie Christian I've met - that's the only reason I ever have a problem with them.

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

I generally tend to think ill of someone if they are sick. Maybe atheists are sickly people?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    After all that harrassment you'd think that atheists would leave people alone, but some of them seem just as bent on converting others (in an extraordinarily condecending way) as any fundie Christian I've met - that's the only reason I ever have a problem with them.
    I think, the harassment has caused some atheists to view organized religion as the root cause of the harassment and intrusion on their rights. Therefore, converting people away from it, would theoretically reduce said harassment. I am an atheist. Unless you are being utterly obnoxious/insulting towards me, I don't care what you believe in or care to debate it.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I think, the harassment has caused some atheists to view organized religion as the root cause of the harassment and intrusion on their rights. Therefore, converting people away from it, would theoretically reduce said harassment. I am an atheist. Unless you are being utterly obnoxious/insulting towards me, I don't care what you believe in or care to debate it.
    That's great. I have friends who are atheists. But there are atheists who want to harrass people out of any and all spiritual beliefs, organized or not.

Seriously, I think some people are just like that. Some people express it by being obnoxiously pushy fundie Christians, and some people express it by being obnoxiously pushy condecending atheists.

But by the same token there are cool Christians and cool atheists. It really depends on the person.

Sniffles

I think....Atheists have been harassed for multiple millenia, and things like the Spanish Inquisition, are.....I would say, at least equal to the harassment of the Christians in France.
    Maybe, if we're going by the standard image of the Inquisition. Scholarship now concedes that it was far less brutal than previously imagined. For example, torture was actually very rarely used; largely because legal codes prevented the use of confessions obtained through such to be used in court. And when it was conducted, strict rules were enforced on how it was to be carried out - such as no blood could be spilt.

If I remember correctly, in 17th century France atheists were granted more legal protections than heretics(Protestants).

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    This also sounds a bit like the stereotype of ENTP anarcho-hedonists...
    Yeah, like NTJ, NTP, and STP. STJ's mostly care about their apperance.

By the way, I'm an atheist too. I'm definitely not ill but rather a genius. Most scientists are atheists too so it's just because stupid people create conspiracy theories. People can't relate to that so they create such stories.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I don't take any atheists under the age of 25 seriously. The rest I think are foolish and very afraid, or misguided, or just do not think actively or in depth about the subject.
    Just because religion is more frequently associated with moral/rules/order/persecution does not automatically make religious people good, but nor does it justify a backlash against all religion for being hypocritical, or that religion is all conspiracy by ignorant masses. Just because atheists are a minority does not make them right or smarter. ^^ There have been and are plenty of theist scientists too, e.g. Francis Collins, the director of the Human Genome Project.
    Spirituality is as much an aspect of humanity as the physical body and the mind. Religion is kind of like a social way of tuning one's spirituality.
    In general I think strongly religious people exhibit more conviction, while strongly atheist people more often exhibit angst, frustration, and arrogance. I think many atheists use their atheism as a way of convincing themselves they are more clever than others. Although arrogance and denial is no stranger to religious folks either, after all I just wrote that I think many atheists are foolish.