User Tag List

First 5131415161725 Last

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    God(s), I assume you mean. The etymological breakdown is a literal 'without god/gods', or a theos, so I still don't know exactly what you are referring too.
    riiiiight, and an -ism is a belief so....

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yes, it's a question of power.

The most complete expression of power is to rape a child and have your organisation cover it up.

And we know that the officers of this organisation and the organisation itself covered it up because we have the criminal convictions to prove it.

At the same time this organisation tells us we should not only fear their god, but we should also love their god. They tell us we should love and fear their god.

This is precisely what abusers want from their victims.

This is called the psychology of abuse.

Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Their god has absolute power and demands the impossible - to be loved and feared at the same time. And what better way to exercise this absolute power than over small children.

And they exercise their power over small, defenceless, trusting victims.

And it is a betrayal of trust by those in positions of trust. "Trust us", they say, "Trust us and have faith in the absolute power of our god".

So quite naturally, theism turns our stomachs.

And atheism seems to be only common decency.

No wonder atheists are hated by people of faith.
    Well this thread just got weird and awkward.

I.... think I'll bow out from here on.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    riiiiight, and an -ism is a belief so....
    It's not, actually... it's also derived from isma, which denotes a 'doctrinal' position. Atheism can be a position of a lack of belief in gods - the descriptor of a group only needs commonality, it does not need to be a positive assertion - the result is that while atheism is 'doctrinal' (in greek, it would mean that anything other than belief in the gods that were considered a given was atheist), an individual does not require to have a positive assertion, just a lack of belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    Well this thread just got weird and awkward.

I.... think I'll bow out from here on.
    Yes, if I were a theist, I would be too embarrassed to stay.

Banned

doc?trine
    ? ?/?d?ktr?n/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [dok-trin] Show IPA
    –noun
    1. a particular principle, position, or policy taught or advocated, as of a religion or government: Catholic doctrines; the Monroe Doctrine.
    2. something that is taught; teachings collectively: religious doctrine.
    3. a body or system of teachings relating to a particular subject: the doctrine of the Catholic Church.
    Origin:
    1350–1400; ME < AF < L doctr?na teaching, equiv. to doct(o)r doctor + -?na -ine 2

Synonyms:
    1. tenet, dogma, theory, precept, belief.

Think I'm gonna follow Feops, this is no longer interesting or productive. Ciao!

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

ism could be a practical application/carried out practice of a belief or a non belief. But when one sais they are (practicing) atheism, That means they are practicing a belief.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain View Post
    ism could be a practical application/carried out practice of a belief or a non belief. But when one sais they are (practicing) atheism, That means they are practicing a belief.
    It's rather hard to translate the meaning from two thousands years ago. The premise was that any belief that didn't believe in specific gods was atheist - meaning, even if you were theistic, you were called atheist... because you didn't follow the theistic belief that they denoted. There was no such thing as 'atheism' in that sense, as there was only one doctrinal belief. The point above was that adding 'ism' does not change the root of the word, it's simply used to denote a group of a-theos. Inherent in any grouping is the mindset that they share a common belief - but in reality, a group can be non-something, such as "non-american", and not make any positive assertion other than the commonality they have.

Anyway, the word should now generalizes to not following any theistic belief, which includes both rejection and a lack of opinion. *shrug*

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    doc?trine
    ? ?/?d?ktr?n/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [dok-trin] Show IPA
    –noun
    1. a particular principle, position, or policy taught or advocated, as of a religion or government: Catholic doctrines; the Monroe Doctrine.
    2. something that is taught; teachings collectively: religious doctrine.
    3. a body or system of teachings relating to a particular subject: the doctrine of the Catholic Church.
    Origin:
    1350–1400; ME < AF < L doctr?na teaching, equiv. to doct(o)r doctor + -?na -ine 2

Synonyms:
    1. tenet, dogma, theory, precept, belief.
    I can do that too...

But the French definition is slightly different:

DOCTRINE, subst. fém.
    A. Ensemble de principes, d'énoncés, érigés ou non en système, traduisant une certaine conception de l'univers, de l'existence humaine, de la société, etc., et s'accompagnant volontiers, pour le domaine envisagé, de la formulation de modèles de pensée, de règles de conduite.
    B. En partic. Prise de position ponctuelle, nettement et publiquement définie, d'une école de pensée ou d'un individu sur un problème spécial, généralement délicat et sujet à controverses; opinion bien arrêtée sur un point précis, interprétation, thèse.

Prononc. et Orth. :
    []. Ds Ac. 1694-1932. Étymol. et Hist. 1. Ca 1165 « enseignement, avertissement » (G. d'Angleterre, éd. M. Wilmotte, 2699); 2. ca 1175 « ensemble de connaissances que l'on possède » (B. DE STE-MAURE, Ducs Normandie, éd. C. Fahlin, 2132); 1190 « ensemble de notions proposées comme fondement d'une religion, d'un système philosophique » (HERMAN, Bible ds BARTSCH, Lang. et litt. fr., 108, 8); 1680 spéc. doctrine Crétienne (RICH.); 1690 (FUR. : Les Peres de la Doctrine Chrétienne); 1840 'dr. (PROUDHON, loc. cit.). Empr. au lat. class. doctrina « enseignement » et « théorie, méthode »

---

Synonyms in French: Teachings (see etymology), Interpretation, Thesis, Conception
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Why yes it does.
    Bullshit.
    INFJ
    4w5

Sniffles

Early Christians were actually denounced as atheists for their refusal to worship pagan gods, more specifically the Emperor.

Quote Originally Posted by MrME View Post
    Bullshit.
    I believe because it is bullshit!