User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Do you think it's a "leap fo faith" not to believe in Pink Unicorns?

Although I believe in the existence of a Pink Piranha, somewhere...

Why?

---

What is claimed without proof, can be disclaimed without proof.
    Why must this discussion always dissolve into pink unicorns, flying teapots, lunar landings, and other such tripe? There are plenty of fairly good philosophical arguments that a smart atheist could take on if he were really interested in being reasonable. I cannot empirically prove everything I know about this world (e.g. all bachelors are married men is not an empirical truth, it's a logical truth), but I still know many of these things to be true. No theist is going to take the atheist who comes up with these silly "thought experiments" seriously enough to even consider whether his beliefs are sound. This is a beautiful example of an atheist shooting himself in the foot. If you really want the theist to consider the reasonableness of his position, at least have the courtesy to show him that you've attempt to understand why he believes the things he does.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Heh, the farthest origins of the word were for the people didn't believe in approved gods. Christians were atheists, if you go far enough back. It's actually been unbastardized when it was turned into a more modern word, if you go by its etymology.

By not having a belief in that particular thing...?

Think of it this way... there are two groups - theists and atheists... true by definition. What theistic belief do the atheists you think of have to not make them atheist?
    So you're saying that having a belief is now a matter of not having a belief...and you don't see something logically problematic with this claim?

Does someone around here have a square circle they could show me?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    Why must this discussion always dissolve into pink unicorns, flying teapots, lunar landings, and other such tripe? There are plenty of fairly good philosophical arguments that a smart atheist could take on if he were really interested in being reasonable. I cannot empirically prove everything I know about this world (e.g. all bachelors are married men is not an empirical truth, it's a logic truth), but I still know many of these things to be true. No theist is going to take the atheist who comes up with these silly "thought experiments" seriously enough to even consider whether his beliefs are sound. This is a beautiful example of an atheist shooting himself in the foot. If you really want the theist to consider the reasonableness of his position, at least have the courtesy to show him that you've attempt to understand why he believes the things he does.
    Because of misunderstandings on our position. When people say "but you can't prove that there is no god". Well, duh. But you also can't prove there is no flying spaghetti monster, teapots in orbit around Jupiter, or invisible pink unicorns, so that argument doesn't work. That is why we come up with these ridiculous thought experiments. To show that it is not our job to disprove god, but the theists job to prove god, otherwise we'll remain in the default position of no belief.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

Banned

No, the theist doesn't have to prove anything to the atheist. That's where the real misunderstanding is. The theist has all the proof he needs. The atheist that wants to "enlighten" the theist carries the burden. The theist doesn't need to convince you or I, he's happy to believe the things he does. The atheist who assumes the theist has built his belief on something on a par with spaghetti monsters or fly teapots has really missed the boat in many cases. The best arguments for the existence of god do not rely on empirical absurdity. They rely on logic and empirical evidence that it is available to everyone with a working pair of eyes. Those of us who don't have a belief in god just don't see the empirical evidence in the way the theist does, and the logical arguments, while valid, are intuitively problematic. If the atheist were to acknowledge that he is mistaken in assuming the theist believes in something akin to a pink unicorn, he might actually make some progress in demonstrating why it is unreasonable to maintain a belief in god.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Why must this discussion always dissolve into pink unicorns, flying teapots, lunar landings, and other such tripe? There are plenty of fairly good philosophical arguments that a smart atheist could take on if he were really interested in being reasonable. I cannot empirically prove everything I know about this world (e.g. all bachelors are married men is not an empirical truth, it's a logic truth), but I still know many of these things to be true. No theist is going to take the atheist who comes up with these silly "thought experiments" seriously enough to even consider whether his beliefs are sound. This is a beautiful example of an atheist shooting himself in the foot.
    You know, like any professional teacher that works within an university, I use references to go quicker, and the invisible Pink Unicorn is just one of them, as well as the Celestial Teapot.

I don't have time to invent a completely new argument, and besides, it would be meaningless and very pretentious. Honesty requires me to acknowledge who said that first, I'm not a plagiarist. These famous thinkers already explained this way better than we probably would, and the fact that you don't want to understand what they tried to explain is rather a proof of severe lack of intellectual curiosity, and stubbornness.

And believe me (), these philosophers were very smart, even if you seem to have the opposite claim. Their "thoughts experiments" are far from being silly. Russel (for instance) was a genius, whether you like him or not.

---

So, please, just stop wasting our time, and read.

That would be a nice change.

If you really want the theist to consider the reasonableness of his position, at least have the courtesy to show him that you've attempt to understand why he believes the things he does.
    Do I look like a courteous man?

Frankly, I don't care why you want to believe in something, that is your concern only, your private life, not mine.

I'm not here to convert you.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Banned

Do I look like a courteous man?

Frankly, I don't care why you want to believe in something, that is your concern only, your private life, not mine.

I'm not here to convert you.
    No, and you're probably not a very good teacher either. In case you hadn't noticed, I don't believe in god. If you'd been paying attention, you would have noticed I do do a great deal of reading. I do know the arguments on both sides of the question. You apparently skipped over much of the required reading on this subject.

I'm betting you don't teach philosophy wherever it is that you supposedly teach. A respectable teacher would have come up with something better than Russell...

MBTI
    intp

Why is the thought experiment silly?

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I'm betting you don't teach philosophy wherever it is that you supposedly teach. A respectable teacher would have come up with something better than Russell...
    Please, show it to us.

---

Frankly, we have a very different attitude. I'm not here to convert or to "enlighten " theists. I simply don't care and again, that would very pretentious.

Metaphysics are logically and empirically meaningless; so if you want to waste your time on that, that's fine, but don't count on me.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

No, the theist doesn't have to prove anything to the atheist. That's where the real misunderstanding is. The theist has all the proof he needs. The atheist that wants to "enlighten" the theist carries the burden. The theist doesn't need to convince you or I, he's happy to believe the things he does. The atheist who assumes the theist has built his belief on something on a par with spaghetti monsters or fly teapots has really missed the boat in many cases. The best arguments for the existence of god do not rely on empirical absurdity. They rely on logic and empirical evidence that it is available to everyone with a working pair of eyes. Those of us who don't have a belief in god just don't see the empirical evidence in the way the theist does, and the logical arguments, while valid, are intuitively problematic. If the atheist were to acknowledge that he is mistaken in assuming the theist believes in something akin to a pink unicorn, he might actually make some progress in demonstrating why it is unreasonable to maintain a belief in god.
    Um... duh. Thank you for telling me what I already know and assuming things about me that are untrue (which you derided me for doing, or at least a label that I identify with).

Of course the theist isn't required to prove anything to me in a physical sense, but if the theist wants me to accept his/her position, then the burden of proof is upon the theist to provide evidence. That is all that I was saying.

Similiarly, if an atheist were to try to tell a theist that god does not exist (as opposed to the position "I don't believe in god"), then the atheist would be required to provide evidence.

This is all about burden of proof. When theists, or even atheists or agnostics or *insert label here* come up to me and tell me to disprove god, then I am not required to in order to maintain logical consistency in my beliefs.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

Banned

Please, show it to us.
    You could try by starting here Ontological Arguments (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

Or here...

Teleological Arguments for God's Existence (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

When you're done, feel free to come back for more. There are plenty of other good, rational, objections to theism that don't require the atheist to make of fool of himself or his intended victims.