User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Well, you obviously don't know what ur talking about, since time is the 4rth dimension and there's no magical 5th dimension around as far as we know.

And I'm not really sure what u mean with ur whole 5th dimension thing.
    If u see space time as a volume, with T modifying the overall shape while going from it's origin to it's limit for example, you have ur causality and general one-way entropy nailed together with differences in relative 'time'.

well u could always use a fifth dimension as a unidimensional structure going through space time and being the 'present'.
    But that's just very useless, and has so many logical flaws I just can't see it working for now.
    As long as there's a differential between creation and end of a system, and a C as a limiting speed for transmition of information, you will have what you call Time.
    and differentials go one way, until the system is evened out, and we go back to the void/meta singularity or verse or whatever else we came from
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    INTJ

This thread is so full of shit that it's in danger of exceeding its ability to support itself by neutron degeneracy pressure.
    Aleph-One, you look like the kind of person who would spend his spare time building a giant robot to hold the government for ransom. -Some Guy on the Internet

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

The fifth dimension is an explanation of how time can run differently at different points of space.

It is a proven fact that time is not a constant factor in space. Most notably by the timelapse aboard the mir station and earth itself in comparison to one and other.

Einstein's relativity theory supports all this. Time for a moving object is slower then time for a fixed point in space. For the moving object time still moves as quickly as for the still point in space. But in comparison to one and other, there is a difference.

Einstein explained how this effect affects the observation of light itself. If someone is moving at half the speed of light and someone is standing still shines a light past the target moving at half the speed of light. Both observers see the light travel at the same velocity as if they were still in space. This is because light is unaffected by these influences of time and space. The difference is that the if the observer standing still uses a stopwatch and notes down a duration of 1 minute. The observer traveling half the speed of light would observe only 30 seconds on his stopwatch. During the same time, relatively speaking. So when the moving observer is observing the light, it is actually observing the light going twice as fast. (relatively speaking.)

In that regard, the fifth dimension is already a proven fact up to some point.

It explains that time is a constant, but relative to the point and of space and the speed of the traveler.

This also offers theories for black holes.

My representation of the fifth dimension is admittedly a very crude one, but a based representation of what could happen if you fold the fifth dimension in order to go back in time. (Rewind the time around the observer)

It would not alter existing time of where you came from, but in my opinion, it would create a new timeline. Hence the lil drawing of a sort of two dimensional representation of time.

Allowing for parallel universes to exist.

And Aleph-one, OFCOURSE, most of this is pure guess work. As far as I know, we have been unable to travel back in time after all so it's all theory. You do not have to agree with me. But I find saying my idea is ridiculous is a bold statement, especially if you have no arguements to back up your claim. I'm saying that you should either explain yourself or don't bother posting at all.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

ok, before I start bashing u again, which isn't my goal in life. btw.

who's theory is that? (no i don't need big names to be impressed I just want to see the refs and see if it's just ur interpretation of it that's kind of foggy or if it's something else)
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

... In theory.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Mostly based on Einstein's relativety theory, most of the details I mentioned are mine lol. But I've seen read stuff about it here and there, and most of the fifth dimension theorists have similar views. And just tried to envision what the most logical assumption (for me) would be to explain the facts and theories concerning this subject.

Also, the mir example is a proven fact that time in one point of space and time in another point in space is nto neccesarily a constant in comparison to one and other, if the two points in space are moving at different velocities for example. Supporting the relativity theory.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Dude, 1) I probably understand that theory better than you do, so stop repeating it like I don't, it's bothering me : P I understand einstein's theory pretty well thank you.

2) I'll have to look into it, multidimensional space are hard objects because evolution has us used to work on 3 spatial space in time.

It's often tempting for physicists to add extra dimensions to 'explain it all' by the way. So any of these extra dimensional theories need some good studying.

Feel free to explain ur ideas indepth, I get\appreciate those better than the usual foggy semiconcepts people throw at me.

... In theory.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

I just don't see yet why 2 degrees of liberty for time would work better than 1.

explain?

what issue does it fix?
    With C as a limit for information transmission there was no problems\paradoxes with relative time as far as I can see.

... In theory.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

The 5th dimension is simply the 2nd dimension of time, in the Standard Model. It was also used as an attempt to unify all the forces because you could get 3 forces to adhere to symmetry in 5 dimensions, but to be honest it's mostly crap. In string theory the 5th dimension is just another spacial dimension only relevant for things the size of the strings, and maybe the graviton, which is one explanation as to why gravity tends to be a much weaker force than the other 3, as it is said to "leak" into the higher spacial dimensions and lose its potency.

The 5th dimension represents all possible arrangements of the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post

It's often tempting for physicists to add extra dimensions to 'explain it all' by the way. So any of these extra dimensional theories need some good studying.
    Precisely. "Oh wait, my theory/math doesn't work. I KNOW! LET'S ADD ANOTHER DIMENSION!"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    The 5th dimension represents all possible arrangements of the universe.
    Then u don't need one if u already have the 4d in a closed system.
    I mean, if u go for a volumetric\geometric approach and see time as the evening out of differentials, time as a one way ticket this side of reality seems logical.

Maybe if u'd go for a multiverse, but then the 5th D would probably be the metaverse where the multiverse is situated
    And i'd have alot of things to say (about mass and acceleration) about it but i have to go out with the dog for now : P

... In theory.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I probably understand that theory better than you do, so stop repeating it like I don't, it's bothering me : P
    Dude, all that says about you is that you're assuming more then I am assuming, which would suggest I am more objective when it comes to theorising. Well, and that you are extremely cocky, bwehe.

Anyhow, seriously though, I'm toying around with possibilities for time travel. With degree of liberty I assume with this you mean my theory of multiple 'timelines' existing apart from one and other is more degrees of liberty. Without more than one degree of liberty, time travel would be... well.. impossible so pointless to argue about. What would be the fun in that! :P

The thing is, neither theory can be proven (As far as I have read up on the subject, it's ALL still theory and nothing is conclusive), so why not meddle in the most promising theory when trying to prove or disprove it?