User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: What is fear?

MBTI
    ENTP

Default What is fear?

More specifically, why do we fear the things we fear which are not immediate dangers? In other words, why does fear often manifest in a way that is maladaptive?
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I'm not sure I follow (I've been battling insomnia and am quite slow these days...) but if I understand correctly, I would say that it's easier to solve a problem that's right in front of you. But when something is looming in the distance and you know you have to deal with it, but you have no control over when it happens, then maybe it becomes fearsome due to the anxiety and anticipation...? Is this what you mean?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    I'm not sure I follow (I've been battling insomnia and am quite slow these days...) but if I understand correctly, I would say that it's easier to solve a problem that's right in front of you. But when something is looming in the distance and you know you have to deal with it, but you have no control over when it happens, then maybe it becomes fearsome due to the anxiety and anticipation...? Is this what you mean?
    Yes, but why.

Also, get off the computer if you have insomnia! Go take a hot bath and slow down. Being here just keeps you "high".
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Thanks for the advice. I've tried everything. But I can't go to sleep right now because I am working (you know that one of my businesses is night-based). But that's a topic for another thread. Thanks, though.

Ok, why the fear sets in? Well for me, if something happens in front of me, I just jump in and handle it. But if I have to wait for the problem to manifest itself, my imagination runs wild, picturing all different types of scenarios. And you get scared because you can't see the demon you will face, but you can imagine it. *shudder*

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    More specifically, why do we fear the things we fear which are not immediate dangers? In other words, why does fear often manifest in a way that is maladaptive?
    Freud was right then.

It's a survival mechanism gone crazies...
    Eitherway it's perceived something can harmful to you inducing loss or death. Then there's the other beliefs which is based on not receiving love which can be tied back to the original thing.

*Shrug*

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Uncertainty.

If we shake our uncertainty of something, for example death. We can overcome our fear of it. It's a universal fact.

If I fall from a 3 story building, I will fear the fall, for it might hurt a lot and mutilate me. I can not be certain of it.
    If I fall from a 20 story building, I would not have that fear for I am certain I will die. (Apart from the time it takes for me to reach this conclusion. It will most likely start with fear.)
    I do not fear death because my beliefs are pretty solid. I will postpone my death for as long as I can however. For I value life much more than death.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Apprehension about a possible future negative mental, physical, or emotional state.

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Our ability too look into the future and see possible threats is an adaptive trait, it's not maladaptive.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I do not fear death because my beliefs are pretty solid. I will postpone my death for as long as I can however. For I value life much more than death.
    Thats a wonderful line.

One point that I've argued with friends occasionally is whether fear of death is irrational/rational especially when I hear stories of old people finally accepting that they will die and not being bothered by it. But I did not have any counter arguement against the idea that if somebody is not afraid of death, then they would be killed willingly. That's not so!

(The whole thing started on the basis that depression does not exist because it goes against nature etc, and that human rationality)

MBTI
    NICE

Fear is an evolutionary seed that never grew into an tree. Fear eats the soul.

If there's one person you can trust, it's your enemy, whatever that is. Why fear a trusted one?