User Tag List

12311 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 176

  1. #1
    Senior Member wyrdsister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    Ape
    Posts
    106

    Default Religion... why?

    In our age of scientific discovery I would like to pose the question...

    Why is religion still relevant in out time?

    Obviously in past centuries it was a form of mind control and personality cults. Myths and legends to explain our Earth and the Universe and why we were here and to be good people or we shall rot in hell or be reborn as amoebas... but now in the year 2007, why is religion still relevant?
    Wyrd is a concept in Anglo-Saxon and Nordic culture roughly corresponding to fate. It is ancestral to Modern English weird, which has acquired a very different meaning.

  2. #2
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wyrdsister View Post
    In our age of scientific discovery I would like to pose the question...

    Why is religion still relevant in out time?

    Obviously in past centuries it was a form of mind control and personality cults. Myths and legends to explain our Earth and the Universe and why we were here and to be good people or we shall rot in hell or be reborn as amoebas... but now in the year 2007, why is religion still relevant?
    Religion's task is to give one meaning in life by answering the biggest questions of cosmology. There are two kinds of religions, those that run on theology and those that run on mythology. Theological religions use reason juxtaposed with the Holy writings to make sense of the world, the other kind just rely on absurd and clumsy fairy tales to satisfy the masses.

    All in all I would say that even theological religions are not acceptable, as questions of eschatology need scriptual testimony for legitimation.


    Beliefs like that in Christian God can only be accepted on a wild leap of faith and they can only be believed because they talk about things that we can not ascertain of with our reason. Hence, you dont know if God exists or not if there is an afterlife, or whatever, so leave it. And maybe, just to be safe accept Jesus (as Pascal would say) who knows, if he really was right, this would be the best decision you'd ever make. But again, you're not in the position to make assessments on how likely he is to be right or not because he speaks of things that are outside of our grasp.

  3. #3
    ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INfj
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    Yes we have science... but science can't explain everything. For example it can only look at whether something exists or not, the mechanics how something works. It cannot and will never explain the "why questions". Why are humans the only dominant species on this planet? What's the purpose of life etc. The mind craves explainations for everything... I suppose that's why many people turn to religion.

  4. #4
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Yes we have science... but science can't explain everything. For example it can only look at whether something exists or not, the mechanics how something works. It cannot and will never explain the "why questions". Why are humans the only dominant species on this planet? What's the purpose of life etc. The mind craves explainations for everything... I suppose that's why many people turn to religion.

    Science deals with what we can inquire into, hence what is within the bounds of reason. Religion claims to give us insight into what science can not grasp.

    They cant clash into one another because they are exploring totally different fields.

  5. #5
    ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INfj
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Science deals with what we can inquire into, hence what is within the bounds of reason. Religion claims to give us insight into what science can not grasp.

    They cant clash into one another because they are exploring totally different fields.
    That was what I was trying to say... thank you for rephrasing it

  6. #6
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Science deals with what we can inquire into, hence what is within the bounds of reason. Religion claims to give us insight into what science can not grasp.
    How do you feel about the overlap between science and religion, on themes like evolution (where science is exploring topics that religion believe to be their domain) and philosophical concepts like theories of knowledge (which used to be the domain of religion).

  7. #7
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wyrdsister View Post
    Why is religion still relevant in out time? Obviously in past centuries it was a form of mind control and personality cults. ...
    That's a pretty cynical view of religion.

    Plus, lumping all "religion" into one category is difficult, because of the wide variety of belief systems and behaviors stemming from belief systems. Obviously religion has run all over the gamut from sincere to manipulative, from naive to crafty, from domineering to passive, from peaceful to bloodthirsty.

    Like others have said, people search for meaning. When they don't have meaning, they lose the will to live.

    On the contrary, I think in a postmodern world that offers no inherent meaning, religion is becoming even more important... and I think the growing strength of religion around the globe (and how it's becoming "in vogue" again) attests to this.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  8. #8
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    How do you feel about the overlap between science and religion, on themes like evolution (where science is exploring topics that religion believe to be their domain) and philosophical concepts like theories of knowledge (which used to be the domain of religion).
    Nope science cant go there. It can only describe what happens in this world. The problems of science and philosophy are of understanding this world and Gods are to be left on the outside.

    Evolution tells us nothing about eschatology or metaphysics, it can only tell us that perhaps man evolved from apes, but to say that from this it follows that God does not exist, or what our creator may have looked like, or what happens after death would just be mere conjecture. We dont have enough to speculate from what we've gained from either science or philosophy.

    Theoretical theology is impossible, Kant has already burried it, as whatever Gods may be are in the noumenal world that we have no access to.

  9. #9
    Senior Member wyrdsister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    Ape
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Science deals with what we can inquire into, hence what is within the bounds of reason. Religion claims to give us insight into what science can not grasp.

    They cant clash into one another because they are exploring totally different fields.
    I disagree. They aren't always exploring totally different fields, look at Creationism and Darwinism.
    Wyrd is a concept in Anglo-Saxon and Nordic culture roughly corresponding to fate. It is ancestral to Modern English weird, which has acquired a very different meaning.

  10. #10
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That's a pretty cynical view of religion.

    Plus, lumping all "religion" into one category is difficult, because of the wide variety of belief systems and behaviors stemming from belief systems. Obviously religion has run all over the gamut from sincere to manipulative, from naive to crafty, from domineering to passive, from peaceful to bloodthirsty.

    Like others have said, people search for meaning. When they don't have meaning, they lose the will to live.

    On the contrary, I think in a postmodern world that offers no inherent meaning, religion is becoming even more important... and I think the growing strength of religion around the globe (and how it's becoming "in vogue" again) attests to this.

    He is right, religion has nothing to do with spirituality, it is slave to the political ends of whatever powers that be. True religion as you'd like to see it is nothing other than your private meditations with God.

Similar Threads

  1. What Religion Do You Practice/Not Practice and Why?
    By Evastover in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 589
    Last Post: 06-04-2016, 03:24 AM
  2. so why don't you have religion?
    By miss fortune in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 122
    Last Post: 12-11-2011, 07:21 PM
  3. Why do religions hate gays so darn much?
    By Kasper in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 183
    Last Post: 09-11-2010, 03:27 AM
  4. [NT] NTs why did you embrace religion?
    By SolitaryWalker in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 125
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 03:56 PM
  5. Why?
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 06:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO