User Tag List

First 8161718

MBTI
    infp

Because science doesn't give the same reassurances that many people still crave so much.

Science doesn't tell a grieving father that his little girl is still alive but in spirit and waiting for him to join her in some happy paradise. Science doesn't tell someone dying, that they shouldn't be scared, there is still something more and this isn't the end.

In science you are simply dead, and not everyone can be comfortable with that knowledge.

I mean I don't believe in religion, and life after death, but I wish I still did, it was a very comforting blanket when I did.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    If religion is a way of seeing, what do we see when we look through Christianity
    I think people see outside "help".. an interventionist God. Some control in their lives, and in the Universe as a whole.

or Buddhism
    People probably see self-reliance and accepting life as it is. More so in Theravada Buddhism probably. Some forms of Mahayana have a slightly different view on "interventionist" entities.

Of course, they all play out in more than just these ways.. But at their core, you've got two different ways of seeing here.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

ahh! KISS Panda's rock!

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by wyrdsister View Post
    Obviously in past centuries it was a form of mind control and personality cults.
    No, no it wasnt.

Thumbs down The Ancient and the Modern

Canberra was designed from the God's eye view.

The design of Canberra only makes sense when viewed from the clouds. In fact the model of Canberra you will see when you first arrive, shows you the city from ten thousand feet. So you need the wings of an angel, or a God's eye view, to make sense of Canberra.

So if religion is a way of seeing, religion gave us a way to see Canberra.

And in fact the designers of Canberra, Walter Burley Griffin and his wife Marion, were theosophers, as were a number of our members of Parliament of the time.

The design of ancient cities is entirely religious, as indeed were even the hearths of their homes. And the design of this newest of new cities is religious as well, uniting the ancient with the modern.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    Because science doesn't give the same reassurances that many people still crave so much.

Science doesn't tell a grieving father that his little girl is still alive but in spirit and waiting for him to join her in some happy paradise. Science doesn't tell someone dying, that they shouldn't be scared, there is still something more and this isn't the end.

In science you are simply dead, and not everyone can be comfortable with that knowledge.

I mean I don't believe in religion, and life after death, but I wish I still did, it was a very comforting blanket when I did.
    Well, there's always at least two way to look at things. Nothingness after death is what gives life meaning, if you ask me. It what gives it weight. It's what makes it beautiful and adventurous. How boring would life be, if it were only a something to be repeated over and over again (reincarnation) or merely the preparation for the real thing (afterlife).

If a grieving father wasn't afraid to lose his girl, then his care and love for her wouldn't be as strong in life.