First 715161718 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Lasting_Pain View Post
    Wow after reading 10 or so pages, I only have one question, why are we arguing religion?
    Because.

The question I post to you: why not?
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    ISFP

Quote Originally Posted by hokie912 View Post
    The fact that we can't currently explain something scientifically doesn't mean that it's miraculous. It just means that we can't currently explain it. A lot of people seem so uncomfortable with the idea of uncertainty, but I think it's dangerous to take the vast scope of things we don't understand and lump them all under the "religion, not science" umbrella. Our understanding of the world is constantly changing. A few thousand years ago, people had a complex system of beliefs to explain things like the rising of the sun (Apollo in his chariot, for example) that we now understand on a scientific level. Personally, I'm okay with admitting that there are things that we can't understand or even comprehend, but that doesn't mean I think we should say that it must be God at work and stop trying.
    Yeah, why didn't I think of that? I believe you got a point. Humankind shouldn't stop searching the why in things just because no one seems to care/ they just accept the things that so-called experts say. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Lasting_Pain

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Because.

The question I post to you: why not?
    Because it will be a never ending argument that will only lower your IQ.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

It sure beats some other beliefs out there that haven't been introduced yet. It does not ,however, come with a money back guarantee.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I respect those that have religion in there lives and those that don't. As long as they stand with their beliefs respectfully and with 'common sense'.

Personally I chose not to believe in things I don't understand. And instead enjoy challenging those ideas. In search of scientific explanations. Yet I've studied many a religion. Despite the fact I'm not religious. I do find quite a lot of inspiration in many other religions. Most noteworthy for me is buddhism.

Technically that makes me a hippocrit to most people. "You either believe, or you don't.". I don't get the ultimatum but I can live with that tag if need be. I just like how many religions have very valuable life lessons. And are a great source of inspiration. Not only to the religious, but also the non religious.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    What makes you think that God created you for a purpose that suits your likings or anything that you can understand?

Maybe God created the ethereal form of man, but what we understand for man to be could be an arbitrary product of nature. God is unfathomable so we can never know what he created us for. This has nothing to do with the kind of a God that the ignorant Biblical literalists believe in.
    What said god created us? Or if you means god as anything that may have somehow caused up to be created then why do you presume there was a conscience reason behind it?
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    I'll say this again... I believe religion gives us meaning to life. That we like living with a purpose. It doesn't directly affect the way you act, rather it affects your attitude... and from altering your attitude change your approach to life and indirectly affects your interactions with other people.
    What says we have an inherent meaning to our lives?
    It seems to me that meaning is something that humans have created ourselves and we have all presumed there is a meaning to life somewhere without actually thinking about whether there actually is.
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

Thumbs down Our Jealous God

If religion is a way of seeing, what do we see when we look through Christianity; what do we see when we look through Islam or Judaism; or Buddhism or Shinto or even Hinduism? Ah, and what do we see when we look through the eyes of the God Poseidon?

How odd that most of us insist on looking only through the eyes of one God when there are many Gods.

We are rich in Gods and rich in ways of seeing. But we only see in one way.

Why is that?

'Cause my God is a jealous God.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

http://4umi.com/image/other/shit-happens-poster.jpg

Dunno why shit happens, amused. Suppose people like to bridge the gap between the corporeal and the incorporeal and the ideas that are told are turned into beliefs, its a gray area.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by wyrdsister View Post
    Obviously in past centuries it was a form of mind control and personality cults. Myths and legends to explain our Earth and the Universe and why we were here and to be good people or we shall rot in hell or be reborn as amoebas... but now in the year 2007, why is religion still relevant?
    This is your belief, albeit not on a topic of the supernatural, it is not much different than religions.

Science and the supernatural are not mutually exclusive which is why what you call religion is still relevant. It's my belief that that is a widespread belief in response to the value exaggeration stereotypical of those who follow a religion.

Some cling to religion, others cling to what they believe to be facts. The fact is, we don't really know much for sure. In the meantime, I propose we STFU about it.