User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

That's more curiously, and more curiously Victor.

MBTI is true.

Now I've corrected you, it's your turn to correct me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    That's more curiously, and more curiously Victor.

Now I've corrected you, it's your turn to correct me.
    When I wrote, "curioser and curioser", it looked wrong but I seemed to remember it from somewhere, I think from, "Alice in Wonderland".

But whether it is right or wrong, it is resonant, particularly if, "curioser", is wrong because that is curious, is it not?

So, "curioser", sings to itself, "I am curious, curious and more curious".

So you are right after all.

And I stand corrected.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I hoped instead to have you get revenge by disproving the MBTI in full.
    I have heretofore only heard bits and pieces.
    I guess I could just ask you to rationally and fully present your opposition to the MBTI, but where's the fun in that?
    Manipulation is so much more fun.

I agree, it is resonant.

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    I hoped instead to have you get revenge by disproving the MBTI in full.
    I have heretofore only heard bits and pieces.
    I guess I could just ask you to rationally and fully present your opposition to the MBTI, but where's the fun in that?
    Manipulation is so much more fun.

I agree, it is resonant.
    It's plain I benefit from MBTI Central. So why do I offer a critique where it is not so welcome?

Well the first reason is my need to attention. So all I do is note that the background of this picture is MBTI, and so if I want to stand out from the background - if I want to become a foreground - I need to distinguish myself from the background.

The easiest thing to do is to become a MBTI denier - to become a MBTI atheist.

Essentially to become impious.

Piety being the last taboo.

So you might say, I am an iconoclast - a breaker of images - I break the image of MBTI.

The price I pay is the outrage of the believers; and my reward is attention.

In the Attention Economy it is all a matter of the Cost/Benefit Analysis - that is, does the reward outweigh the outrage - or could I get a better return elsewhere?

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    How odd.

Western Civilization takes its very name from, "Western Europe".

And the religion of Western Civilization is Christianity.

And the very birthplace of Christianity is Western Europe.

To say that Western Europe is atheist is merely the special pleading of atheists. It is the propaganda of atheists.

Have you ever been in Europe in the last couple of years and stayed there for a few weeks?

Europe used to be Christian, but now it is not anymore. Every year there is less and less christianity around the place. In some citys there is less then 10% of people who can pass as real christians.

We can talk about this if you want to. I am pretty sure that I know about what I am talking about.

Isn't christianity actally from the Middle east?

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Have you ever been in Europe in the last couple of years and stayed there for a few weeks?

Europe used to be Christian, but now it is not anymore. Every year there is less and less christianity around the place. In some citys there is less then 10% of people who can pass as real christians.

We can talk about this if you want to. I am pretty sure that I know about what I am talking about.
    There's actually been a resurgence of Christianity within European society. You should read Philip Jenkin's latest book on the topic.

In fact intellectual discourse concerning issues related to "Post-Secularism" are now becoming more widespread within Europe, and ironically much of it comes from Neo-Marxists circles, with the examples of Jürgen Habermas and Slavoj Žižek.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It's plain I benefit from MBTI Central. So why do I offer a critique where it is not so welcome?

Well the first reason is my need to attention. So all I do is note that the background of this picture is MBTI, and so if I want to stand out from the background - if I want to become a foreground - I need to distinguish myself from the background.

The easiest thing to do is to become a MBTI denier - to become a MBTI atheist.

Essentially to become impious.

Piety being the last taboo.

So you might say, I am an iconoclast - a breaker of images - I break the image of MBTI.

The price I pay is the outrage of the believers; and my reward is attention.

In the Attention Economy it is all a matter of the Cost/Benefit Analysis - that is, does the reward outweigh the outrage - or could I get a better return elsewhere?

What do you think?

Well at least you're honest...

I think you should find out why you need the attention and then determine whether or not it's a problem.

If the need for attention stems from primal urges to connect with others, your cost/benefit analysis is obsolete.

It may stem from insecurity. Perhaps you feel you're not worth paying attention to and use psychology to manipulate others into giving you attention instead of letting it come naturally (I'm throwing that out there as a possibility, not a judgement).

The best/healthiest way to get attention is to persistently pay attention to others. Interact with them as they are.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    There's actually been a resurgence of Christianity within European society. You should read Philip Jenkin's latest book on the topic.
    When did this resurgence started?

Just curious.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by wyrdsister View Post
    In our age of scientific discovery I would like to pose the question...

Why is religion still relevant in out time?

Obviously in past centuries it was a form of mind control and personality cults. Myths and legends to explain our Earth and the Universe and why we were here and to be good people or we shall rot in hell or be reborn as amoebas... but now in the year 2007, why is religion still relevant?
    I'm going to address "Western Religion," and Christianity in particular.

I do think Nietzsche was onto something with his "God is dead" thing. We no longer stone people for disobeying their parents, or fear the sword of the "Angel of the Lord." However, that's not the whole picture. Religion is in fact evolving. Just look at changing doctrines towards divorce, abortion, homosexuality, etc.

Religion is always evolving as the worshipers and societies themselves evolve. Religion will never die or be irrelevant, because we're subtly changing it to fit our lives, and to be relevant.

Now, whenever things change, there's going to be a backlash, as change is scary. Change in religion is particularly threatening, as people are so invested in it and things that are "true" aren't supposed to change. This is where you get the fundamentalist back-lash, and that is what you're probably refering to in your post. It's relevant because people need to feel secure. Those are their needs, and what best fits their lives.

Hopefully that helps explain these observations a bit:

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post

Sniffles

When did this resurgence started?

Just curious.

It's actually been in the making for quite a few years. If one can point to an immediate event that caused this, it was the death of Pope John Paul II.

We can also ask the question of which churches are in decline. More mainstream liberal churches are in big trouble, but more non-mainstream conservative churches have actually risen in the last decade or so.

Within Catholicism, traditional Latin masses have huge attendence while Novous Ordo ones are next to empty. Opus Dei has helped lead a religious revival in Italy, and Poland is training more missionaries than ever before. Also it should be mentioned that even if church attendence is down, the number of Europeans making spiritual pilgrimages to holy sites like Lourdes, Fatima, Vatican, etc. are at an all-time high.

Pope Benedict XVI attracts larger crowds than his predecessor ever did.

Jenkins also makes an interesting point concerning Europe's decline in church attendence:
    "In fact, the rapid decline in the continent’s church attendance over the past 40 years may have done Europe a favor. It has freed churches of trying to operate as national entities that attempt to serve all members of society. Today, no church stands a realistic chance of incorporating everyone. Smaller, more focused bodies, however, can be more passionate, enthusiastic, and rigorously committed to personal holiness. To use a scientific analogy, when a star collapses, it becomes a white dwarf—smaller in size than it once was, but burning much more intensely. Across Europe, white-dwarf faith communities are growing within the remnants of the old mass church."
    -- "Europe's Christian Comeback"
    There's plenty more I can say about this topic really.