• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Religion... why?

Mole

Permabanned
Sympathetic Magic, click Sympathetic Magic - YouTube, makes us feel good, which means we are feeling bad.

We come here because we are feeling bad, and want to feel good, so we fall for sympathetic magic.

However we know the best way to feel good is by doing good, and in particular by doing good for another person.

Fortunately most of us live in civil societies that welcome volunteers.

So by volunteering to help others on a regular basis about once a week or once a fortnight, we start to feel good about ourselves and sympathetic magic loses its hold on us.

Skimt

Religion is personal. I see Frøya in my sister, and Thor in my brother-in-law. I see the gods in everyone around me all the time. It's comforting to know that when I die, I will not simply disintegrate in a dark gray lonely void, which is what reality feels like most of the time already. I need less of it, not more. Skuld weaves my fate and will be there when I die to carry me to Valhall, and it is for Frøya to decide if I can fight for her or not. Whether it means carrying myself with grace or fighting until my last breath to stand on the meadows of Folkvang with my sister and her kids, I will.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Religion is personal. I see Frøya in my sister, and Thor in my brother-in-law. I see the gods in everyone around me all the time. It's comforting to know that when I die, I will not simply disintegrate in a dark gray lonely void, which is what reality feels like most of the time already. I need less of it, not more. Skuld weaves my fate and will be there when I die to carry me to Valhall, and it is for Frøya to decide if I can fight for her or not. Whether it means carrying myself with grace or fighting until my last breath to stand on the meadows of Folkvang with my sister and her kids, I will.
In some Pagan circles, members say to each other: "Thou art God", "Thou art Goddess". I wonder how much better the world would be if more people shared this perspective.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In some Pagan circles, members say to each other: "Thou art God", "Thou art Goddess". I wonder how much better the world would be if more people shared this perspective.
I can see how that would lead to respect but could also contribute to an out of control ego.

I think there is a real trap in human psychology of becoming overconfident and then this leading to all kinds of nistakes.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can see how that would lead to respect but could also contribute to an out of control ego.

I think there is a real trap in human psychology of becoming overconfident and then this leading to all kinds of nistakes.
As I see it, it is just another way to see the divine in each one of us. I have heard countless Christian ministers, in similar fashion, preach about "seeing Jesus" in everyone you meet.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As I see it, it is just another way to see the divine in each one of us. I have heard countless Christian ministers, in similar fashion, preach about "seeing Jesus" in everyone you meet.
Quakers will speak of the "inner light". I suppose that is the same thing.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Quakers will speak of the "inner light". I suppose that is the same thing.
Have you ever read anything by Joseph Campbell? Many concepts like this are fundamental to most if not all religions.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Have you ever read anything by Joseph Campbell? Many concepts like this are fundamental to most if not all religions.
A little bit, but not in its entirety. I am familiar with some of the ideas, but this might allow for interesting reinterpretations.

xXxXx_wEltschmErz_xXxXx

the manga was better
It is said that religion is like a tree. Its roots lie in darkness, while its leaves wave in the sun. You can prune away its branches, even cut the tree to the ground, but it will grow again, ever stronger. Such is the nature of religion, and why it is so difficult to destroy.

Hawk

MBTI Type
INTJ
Everything can be a religion. Avoiding religion can be a religion. Science in any field can be considered a religion.

Choose wisely what you might condemn and why.

Skimt

Hmm, can't think of any condemnation in my religion. I might end up in Hel because I've given in to my depression, but it's not a place of torment. It's best depicted in What Dreams May Come (1998), as a place where we don't have the will to leave. Hel herself is not mean-spirited. She's the neglectful mother, neglectful of her children, whom in turn were neglectful of themselves. She's wise, and beautiful spite looking like a corpse. Worshipping her is fine.

And blot isn't an act of condemnation. We don't sacrifice worthless things to our gods. Only chickens and British people. You know, yummy blood.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Here's a nice image:

Now let's add to that the odds of me existing right now as a sentient consciousness pathed into being from the beginning of the big bang

With probabilities like those I can't in good conscience denote my existence as coincidence without adopting a blindsided arrogance over mathematical probability and can only intellectually hypothesise that it is configured as one with purpose, thus denoting what cannot be comprehended and brings about questions like what does the existence of existence itself depend on.
This makes far more sense on an intellectual level than some of the spiritual ideas that form around the physical anthropomorphisation of what people believe to be a higher consciousness.

Another thing I hear often is spiritual people asking 'the universe' for things, but that also doesn't make too much sense because the universe is as objectively identifyable as we are, which denotes it's properties are not beyond existence.

Last edited:

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
@Oaky

That image assumes that you wouldn't be you if you were made with different genetics.

You would still be the same person, just with different traits.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
In our age of scientific discovery I would like to pose the question...

Why is religion still relevant in out time?

Obviously in past centuries it was a form of mind control and personality cults. Myths and legends to explain our Earth and the Universe and why we were here and to be good people or we shall rot in hell or be reborn as amoebas... but now in the year 2007, why is religion still relevant?
I’ve watched a documentary. It said Homo Sapiens have a propensity to hold supernatural thoughts. I’m my mind religions came into being to describe the inexplicable mysteries which were feared.

When we are faced with something that we don’t know the reason why for it, it causes cognitive dissonance. The brain every day filters in and out information for every human on the planet.

There is a positive evolutionary reason for this. On the other hand the negative aspect is we have blind spots.

It is only my opinion. People are entitled to believe whatever they want to. I can’t change them, nor do I have the right. I’m my mind every single mythology was at one time a respected religion and believed.

Believed to the point of fighting and dying for one’s beliefs. In my mind and hope is threat one day every single religion will be looked upon as just another mythology.

I like Buddha’s saying, “Only we can save ourselves. Only we can walk our path.” Also his saying of, “Believe nothing, not even what he said unless it met our standard of judicious discernment.”

In my mind as long as people are waiting for salvation, or an external savior, they never will learn to independently think for themselves.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
In our age of scientific discovery I would like to pose the question...

Why is religion still relevant in out time?

Obviously in past centuries it was a form of mind control and personality cults. Myths and legends to explain our Earth and the Universe and why we were here and to be good people or we shall rot in hell or be reborn as amoebas... but now in the year 2007, why is religion still relevant?
Those who say religion is the main cause of human suffering, is this true?

“There are learned men and women of disparate belief and lack of belief. I for myself don’t believe in anything unless it can be proven by science in the here and now and the results replicated.

I personally don’t think humanity can evolve until we take responsibility for our own lives. Until we accept responsibility for our own salvation as Buddha acknowledges we shall never evolve.

This not waiting for a deliverer to come save us. Some say religion is the main cause of much of the worlds misery. I would say with religion or without it humankind would continue to do what is referred to as evil.

This is due to the power of our unconscious. Here lurks hidden unconscious stereotypes and prejudices.

As an addition blind spots, ignorance and cognitive distortions like emotional reasoning cause suffering.

Additionally rationalization and denial done in the name of love have led to many gross injustices and outright persecution.” LightSun

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
@Oaky

That image assumes that you wouldn't be you if you were made with different genetics.

You would still be the same person, just with different traits.

“Fear was the first thing on earth to create gods.” Lucretius

“It is the fear of the unknown. Our mind has a mind all its own. The subconscious it is on automatic.

We humans always seek to understand our reality. What we don’t understand, we construct metaphors to explain things beyond our ken.

It also lessens our felt cognitive dissonance of what we don’t understand. This has been the way with every culture throughout history.

Even hard science have theories that are only working hypothesis until we know better. The Big Bang is a theory. I don’t believe in anything unless it is proven in the here and now and it’s results replicated.

Who truly knows what happened 13.8 billion years ago. I’ve seen to many theories overturned in my own lifetime. Science has the edge however. It continues to progress and update its hypothesis of the universe.

Unfortunately religion is not so moving forward. I think it is a shame that people subscribe to thoughts that originated during the Bronze Age.

They say all scripture is inspired by God. I agree that all the religious texts are inspired, but by human insight and creativity. There are some who subscribe that the great scriptures are to be taken as metaphorical lessons.

There are others who say it is the word of God. Therefore it can’t be challenged. This is backward thinking too me.

Know this, I am but human. It is my opinion on how I view life. For those who believe other, I acknowledge your right to believe differently.

I’m not going to argue over what I consider subjective opinion. I welcome all beliefs who are of open mind.

In other words a person has a right to believe whatever they do, yet they can still work with people of disparate beliefs.

The renowned Aristotle said, “It is the mark of an educated man to entertain a notion he might not agree with.”

I don’t tell others what to believe. Live and let live and let’s focus on making this a better world for people irregardless of what they may or may not believe.”

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Religion vs. Science by Neil deGrasse Tyson

90% Religious
60% Masters Degree and above with education
40% Scientists
7% Elite scientists National Academy
1% < philosophers

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Religion is really more like psychological duct tape. In other words, it still serves some purpose to modern day mankind. It still provides people with a sense of power and control over that which we don't actually have power/control over...such as when someone may die and there is a desire for them to live. It still provides people with a sense of safety and protection in the midst of circumstances beyond our control, when people feel threatened. It still gives people a sense of self-worth and value when they don't know how to fix their self-esteem issues. It still offers a sense of purpose to those who have no idea how to find their own.

I think people won't truly be liberated by "the death of God" (as Nietzsche termed it) AKA the death of religion until psychological education is more widespread. When people learn how to cope, fix things without duct tape (aka find actual solutions, not just those that do a crappy job at fixing the problems)...then they will find that not only is there no longer such a need for the religion, but there is also recognition of the red flags that are present in religion. Controversial view, but I think God/Jesus were narcissistic douchebags. Average people are better than them in character.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My post showed it’s not as much as Myers type as it is education and critical thinking. I’ve advocated for cognitive mindfulness, empathy and active listening skills be introduced earlier in education.

I like Buddha’s saying that one to question everything, to not accept anything even from him unless it meets our own judicious discernment.

Secondly that only we can walk the path.

Third that only we can save ourselves. The Western religions are looking for a savior outside of themselves.

I’ve watched documentaries. The scientists say the human species is wired to have supernatural thinking. Our brains filter in and out information on a daily basis.

There is a plus side in evolutionary terms. There is a downside in the form of blind spots. When human beings don’t have answers for the inexplicable, cognitive dissonance occurs to offset anxiety and fear.

I like Joseph Campbell quote that half the world take scripture only as being metaphorical. While the other half take scripture to be literal truth.

Education and critical thinking is the key. That’s why America would have been better served to help educate the people of Afghanistan. This, instead of going to war with a price tag of over a trillion dollars.

Secondly America would have better served that instead of going to war, to put money into education in our own country.

A more enlightened society would encourage people to have a masters degree.

Those people who have higher degrees in these areas do not take seriously that when a man dies he goes to paradise and have virgins feeding them grapes.

Last edited:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Everything can be a religion. Avoiding religion can be a religion. Science in any field can be considered a religion.

Choose wisely what you might condemn and why.
Disney adults
Friday Night Lights lifestyle
The Creativity Movement....oh wait that's an actual white supremacist group. The other two are just cultish and life sucking brainwashing but no one is condemning them or stopping anyone from participating.