User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

^ Seriously, wtf is he trying to pull? This is hilarious.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Really?
    Yup. From the Wikipedia definition:

Atheism is the position that deities do not exist,[1] or the rejection of theism.[2] In the broadest sense, it is the absence of belief in the existence of deities.[3]

You can verify it from the encyclopedia of philosophy, along with a lot more depth of the concept.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Yup. From the Wikipedia definition:

Atheism is the position that deities do not exist,[1] or the rejection of theism.[2] In the broadest sense, it is the absence of belief in the existence of deities.[3]

You can verify it from the encyclopedia of philosophy, along with a lot more depth of the concept.

I'm not saying it can't include theism, but in most formal definitions it describes absence of belief in deity or deities only.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Let's see: noob copypast (ahem) posts a tl;dr "take" on a topic which turns out to be a regurgitation of Pascal's Wager, but doesn't mention it.
    I honestly didn't know there was a popular argument such as Pascal's Wager. However I appreciate you bringing it to my attention. I can see how the introspection of my OP can be viewed as plagiarism, but at the same time, I believe it's easier for someone with faith (or Christian anyway) to come up with a suggestion similar to Pascal's Wager on their own.

Not taking away from your INTJ ability to successfully perceive other moments of synchronicity or convergence.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    I'm not saying it can't include theism,
    Atheism can't include theism... theism is doctrinal belief in deities (granted, some fuzzy areas on what counts as a deity).

but in most formal definitions it describes absence of belief in deity or deities only.
    Hmm... that's what I just said... So, do you have (a doctrinal) belief in a deity? If not, you are atheist.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Hmm... that's what I just said... So, do you have (a doctrinal) belief in a deity? If not, you are atheist.
    Both the agnostic and the atheist have an absence of belief in deities. In the case where someone doesn't deny their existence and doesn't rule out the possibility, agnostic would be more accurate, yet both would be applicable.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by CopyPaste View Post
    I honestly didn't know there was a popular argument such as Pascal's Wager. However I appreciate you bringing it to my attention. I can see how the introspection of my OP can be viewed as plagiarism
    It's not plagiarism. This isn't a publishing company or a news paper, it's an online forum. You might be able to introduce plagiarism here, but it doesn't matter much.
    but at the same time, I believe it's easier for someone with faith (or Christian anyway) to come up with a suggestion similar to Pascal's Wager on their own.
    LOL...
    It's irrelevant.

In my opinion, Pascal is an idiot.
    It seems like a good idea, but Pascal leaves out the fact that if we believe in the wrong god, we're still screwed.
    Additionally, any god who requires us to believe, also demands that we go to worship him, and do other services...

Nah. The safer bet is enjoying what you're guaranteed -- life on earth.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INxJ

Atheism can't include theism... theism is doctrinal belief in deities (granted, some fuzzy areas on what counts as a deity).

What about Buddhism?

For the record, I'm rather fond of Reform and Reconstructionist Judaism. Neither require belief in deity, but it's obviously preferred. I might believe in the possibility of a God those denominations describe, but I'm not sure. Where does that put me?

MBTI
    ENTP

Numbers... it's a semantical fact that atheism doesn't include theism, except in spelling.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    You also forgot to mention that your point was made before by The Raconteurs. For God's sake, try citing your sources next time, you plagiarist!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    I'm glad somebody noticed CopyPaste's lame attempt to plagiarize our dear Blaise Pascal.
    Attention Players:

The idea of God is absolutely the most famous one in philosophy. Most people who think of themselves as philosopher (far too many) usually only talk about god. There are probably more conversations about god in a day than there are children born. There are also probably more conversations about god in a day than there are children born and people dying combined.

There is an absurd magnitude of God conversations. Everyone -- even you... yes... you too; you're guilty too -- is guaranteed to say something that's been said before by someone else. It's not plagiarism. It's debate.
    Some arguments are more famous (usually the worse ones it seems, while ironically, the esoteric are the good ones) but even still it's not plagiarism.
    And why would someone plagiarize a famous philosopher on a forum anyway? Not for credit -- we turned the rep system off. Remember?

It's only plagiarism if you publish it.

You can keep calling each other plagiarists... I guess it doesn't matter. But you should know that you're wrong.
    we fukin won boys