First 91011

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Actually, from what I've gathered from people in academia, agnosticism - not atheism - is the most "rational" position to take.

Atheism, particularly aggressive atheism because I have no judgement toward more passive atheists, has never struck me as especially rational.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Actually, from what I've gathered from people in academia, agnosticism - not atheism - is the most "rational" position to take.

Atheism, particularly aggressive atheism because I have no judgement toward more passive atheists, has never struck me as especially rational.
    If you say so.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Anyway.

Being rational has more to do with the way you justify and explain things than your actual belief. Thus, I'd say you're confusing results and the means. The sentence you used is absolutely arbitrary, both in form and content. It's only a mere opinion, and as Socrates noticed, opinions are irrelevants.

---

But, in the same time, it is quite obvious that it is far more difficult to be rational AND religious. And despite your (arbitrary) claim, there is a very high correlation between education and atheism. But a correlation is not a proof, confusing the two may constitute a basic sophistry. And as you know, even very rational persons can have wild streams of irrationality: Just as Feyerabend pointed, it's not rational to dismiss irrationality.

Alternatively, you can also study Gödel's incompleteness theorems, they're quite interesting.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I got principles that keep me on the Atheistic side instead of the agnostic side.

They are rational principles. But ofcourse subjective.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Go read up on positive atheism vs. negative atheism.

One is a position of certainty that there is no God; the other is simply a "best guess" that there is no God, due to lack of any particular belief in one.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTJ

Belief must come from evidence, belief cannot necessarily be forced. By the act of blind faith, you compromise the principle of believing in evidence. Religion comes in the way of the unbiased quest for knowledge, and religion will deprive you of the possibility of developing your own personal philosophy, to create your own premises of life...
    "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius." - Wolfgang Amadé Mozart