User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Having faith causes a person to stop questioning?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

I believe every single person carries a kind of 'religiosity' - it's possibly why we're still going. That's basically justification to our actions, but for who ultimately?

... And I can't doubt that every single person, too, kept up atleast a moment in their life thinking about God.

Unfortunately, I can't prove that without a kind of discussion. So here's to the atheists - do you really not believe in a God?

(It's a rhetorical question - answer it if you want.)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

It's not that I don't believe in God. It's that I am incapable of believing in God. As, for me, it feels like I'm hiding from something if I try to believe in God, or that I'm trying to lie to myself. It feels wrong. It just goes against my essence to unconditionally believe anything.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by persianness View Post
    Unfortunately, I can't prove that without a kind of discussion. So here's to the atheists - do you really not believe in a God?
    I do not, although "not" carries a special meaning to me. It means that I assign the probability of any claim that is not evidenced as infinitely low.

The religiousity that you talk about is, to me, just interpretation of how morality and ethics developped in humans.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    It just goes against my essence to unconditionally believe anything.
    ... Any thing? Even though the belief in a God - whether you believe in a God or not, was considered important any way?

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I do not, although "not" carries a special meaning to me. It means that I assign the probability of any claim that is not evidenced as infinitely low.

The religiousity that you talk about is, to me, just interpretation of how morality and ethics developped in humans.
    Fair enough.

... That's one way of looking at it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by persianness View Post
    ... Any thing? Even though the belief in a God - whether you believe in a God or not, was considered important any way?
    If I can't rationalize it, then I will not believe it.

In smaller cases, like for example trust in relationships, I am willing to take that leap of belief. Because whatever the result may be, it's oversee-able.

But with faiths and religions, I feel much better not believing any of it. (Doesn't mean there are passages or sentences within religious texts that don't speak to me, on the contrary, I get quite some inspiration from religions. I just don't believe in all the supernatural stuff and unlikely stories that comes with it. )

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

That's fine, and understandable - I was simply pointing out that, under normal circumstances, the belief in a God has come to mind in a lot of people (right to the individual level). You said along the lines of "unconditionally believe anything" - well ofcourse, nobody in their sane minds would naively believe anything. It's a fact.

... However, the belief in a God is unique to believing in 'anything' because the criterion for the belief in a God never required someone else's word, consensus or thought - it's a personal matter that we attend to. That is why it is important, and has been... not to simply justify our actions, but for the rest of our lives. Belief in a God is something important, because it's central... more like, universal.

None the less, I'm not against your faith, and can respect you. Simply addressing the importance in the belief.

MBTI
    INTx

One of the perks of atheists is that they are generally able to admit that they simply don't know. A concrete answer to every question is not required.

Where's the nearest inhabitable planet? I don't know. Does this mean such a planet doesn't exist or can't be known to exist? Of course not. Should I perhaps throw some tea leaves in hopes that the spirit of wind aligns them in such a way to enlighten me? Of course not.

How did the universe come into being? Heck if I know. This doesn't rationalize a supernatural or mystical fallback though. It's okay to admit ignorance. The universe is huge and mysterious.

Edits: Reworded a bit.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    One of the perks of atheists is that they are generally able to admit that they simply don't know. Theories sure, educated guesses sure, certainty, no.

Where's the nearest inhabitable planet? I don't know. Does this mean such a planet doesn't exist or can't be known to exist? Of course not.

How did the universe come into being? Heck if I know. This doesn't rationalize a supernatural or mystical fallback though. It's okay to admit ignorance. The universe is huge and mysterious.
    I was under the impression this point of view was agnosticism. Atheists, I thought were those who were relatively positive there was no deity. Which is a position that is as equally based on belief as Theists.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Yeah, no deity. A natural occurance, whichever that occurance was. :P