User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Results 101 to 110 of 143

  1. #101
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    How ridiculous.

    We have all these thoughtful, committed atheists here but not one MBTI atheist.
    Geez, if you think like that, you could say the same about using language itself. "I'm an atheist, I don't believe in the meaning of language, maaah maaah maaah."

    Seriously, MBTI is just categorized behavioral patterns for a slightly better overall understanding, nothing absolute about it. And most certainly has got nothing to do with Atheism.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  2. #102
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Geez, if you think like that, you could say the same about using language itself. "I'm an atheist, I don't believe in the meaning of language, maaah maaah maaah."

    Seriously, MBTI is just categorized behavioral patterns for a slightly better overall understanding, nothing absolute about it. And most certainly has got nothing to do with Atheism.
    MBTI is based on blind faith.

    MBTI has not been submitted to any peer review journal.

    And MBTI has not been submitted to any peer review journal because there is no evidence.

    No, MBTI is taken on blind faith.

    In fact MBTI is as reliable and valid as astrology.

    And no astronomer in the world believes in astrology.

    But it does take intellectual integrity and moral courage to come out as an MBTI atheist in this large group of MBTI believers.

  3. #103
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    But it does take intellectual integrity and moral courage to come out as an MBTI atheist in this large group of MBTI believers.
    For your information.

    I treat MBTI -exactly- the same way I treat religions.

    I use MBTI to get a better understanding on where people come from. How people respond and react differently. MBTI in this is merely a man made category system in which we can organise ourselves in to some extent. It's not absolute. There are no devout MBTI'ists as there would be devout Christians, or anything. It's a completely different item.

    MBTI is a means to better understanding. Religion is the same for me, I do take inspiration from religion as I take inspiration from MBTI in order to get to a better understanding of life/people.

    You have such an extreme black and white view on some things.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  4. #104
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    For your information.

    I treat MBTI -exactly- the same way I treat religions.

    I use MBTI to get a better understanding on where people come from. How people respond and react differently. MBTI in this is merely a man made category system in which we can organise ourselves in to some extent. It's not absolute. There are no devout MBTI'ists as there would be devout Christians, or anything. It's a completely different item.

    MBTI is a means to better understanding. Religion is the same for me, I do take inspiration from religion as I take inspiration from MBTI in order to get to a better understanding of life/people.

    You have such an extreme black and white view on some things.
    MBTI purports to be a personality test, but it's not.

    MBTI is a lie.

    And the only interesting question that remains is -

    Why do tens of millions of people believe a lie?

  5. #105
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    You believe a test to be an ultimatum. But it's not. There is no ultimate or absolute lie, there are only circumstancial facts.

    If your view on the world is really that concrete, then why do you converse on this forum? Why do you participate in society? I'm starting to become curious to what your reasons are for living. Because if you believe in truth and lies as strictly as you seem to do, then what point can you possibly have to get out of bed in the morning? Don't you ever like to assume anything for a change? :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  6. #106
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,672

    Default

    A few assumptions I see being made:-

    Atheism = Lack of belief in a theistic god. A theistic god is a specific definition of god. (Basically a super-human)

    Everything does not need an explanation (necessarily). The simple fact is, try to explain 'everything' and any concept you conjure fits into the category of 'everything', thus you have not given it an outside cause, thus have not explained it. It seems logically impossible to explain everything.

    I think most people are agnostic to some degree, seeing as how most agnosticism contradicts neither atheism nor theism.

    Finally, my views on the matter of theism:-

    Theism, to me, implies the existence of a intelligent god, with a will and a purpose.

    Now, my observations have not led me to the conclusion that humans contain no immaterial substance. However, intelligence, will, and purpose, I have concluded, are all material substances.

    Intelligence seems explainable via our brains. In simple terms, destroy the brain, destroy intelligence. Will follows the same path. Purpose, however, simply means destination. To say 'I have a purpose', is to say 'I have a destination'. It's a specific goal to reach.

    I have yet to encounter anything that does not have a purpose, in that sense.

    By this definition, evolution is intelligent (how is it different from our own intelligence?), it has a will (how is it different from our own wills?), and it has a purpose (as does everything).

    The same can be said about the observed universe. It created us, it nurtures us, and it has a purpose. I'm not anthropomorphizing the universe, other people anthropomorphize humans. A rock 'wants' to be in the centre of the earth the same way a human 'wants' money, one is no different from the other. Humans are simply harder to understand than gravity's effect on rocks, from a human POV anyway.

    I guess you could say the universe is omniscient (it certainly contains more knowledge than any human), certainly omnipresent, but only omnipotent if one defines omnipotence as being capable of all that is logically possible (the only sensible definition). Benevolent? I can't even begin to imagine the workings of a benevolent mind. Afterall, an omnipotent being by the definition I stated, might need to cause suffering in order to be benevolent. So on that matter I don't know.

    However, who's to say what is outside the universe? Thus, ultimately, scepticism wins. Theism, in the sense I have presented it, seems quite rational though.

  7. #107
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    You believe a test to be an ultimatum. But it's not. There is no ultimate or absolute lie, there are only circumstancial facts.

    If your view on the world is really that concrete, then why do you converse on this forum? Why do you participate in society? I'm starting to become curious to what your reasons are for living. Because if you believe in truth and lies as strictly as you seem to do, then what point can you possibly have to get out of bed in the morning? Don't you ever like to assume anything for a change? :P
    You are asking me to justify my existence.

    You are asking me to give reasons for me to live.

    I have no need to justify my existence. I have no need to give you a reason for me to live. For my right to life is guaranteed under the Universal Declaration of Human Rights without any need for justification or reasons.

    Simply because I am an MBTI atheist, you question my right to be here. You question my right to be alive.

  8. #108
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    If your view on the world is really that concrete, then why do you converse on this forum? Why do you participate in society
    People can believe whatever they want to, why should it matter to you? That has nothing to do with the innate need for socialization.

  9. #109
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    People can believe whatever they want to, why should it matter to you? That has nothing to do with the innate need for socialization.
    And this is a lovely place to socialise. It is well run and tolerant. It has sufficient long term members to give it stability. And sufficient new members to give it life.

    And it draws members from all over the world to give it breadth.

    And there are contrasts in age, gender, politics and education.

    And it is these contrasts that gives the drama that keeps on bringing us back.

    I mean who would have thought I would be engaged in an acerbic exchange over atheism with a Dutchman when my favourite humanist was the Dutch Erasmus. And with my sister named after the Dutch Queen.

    And who would think I would be writing, at this present moment, to a New York Boulevardier who is a vegan and likes a tipple.

    The permutations and combinations are incredible.

    Who knows what will happen next?

    Except, how nice it is to socialise.

  10. #110
    Senior Member Qre:us's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    For your information.

    I treat MBTI -exactly- the same way I treat religions.
    Don't get taken in by the sway of another's argument until and unless you've confirmed the validity of that argument. With Victor, dare I say, it's not hard.

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    MBTI is based on blind faith.

    MBTI has not been submitted to any peer review journal.

    And MBTI has not been submitted to any peer review journal because there is no evidence.

    No, MBTI is taken on blind faith.
    Bolded: false, which is the crux of your argument, thus, the rest is irrelevant.

    Journals that publish articles on MBTI, and all are peer-reviewed (to name a few of the most prolific):
    Personality and Individual Differences
    Journal of Managerial Psychology
    Social Behavior and Personality

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    How ridiculous.

    We have all these thoughtful, committed atheists here but not one MBTI atheist.
    Personality exists, it doesn't need faith. God needs faith to 'exist'. Although, might I point out, I am a huge critic of MBTI, especially in terms of how the general population applies the conclusions drawn from it. I question MBTI. I do not question "god" as there is nothing to question.

Similar Threads

  1. A question for Atheists AND Agnostics
    By CopyPaste in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 05-28-2009, 04:38 PM
  2. [MBTItm] Question for sensors?
    By SolitaryWalker in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: 03-12-2009, 03:30 AM
  3. [NF] Question for NFs.
    By SolitaryWalker in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: 02-09-2009, 01:24 AM
  4. A question for all
    By disregard in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-03-2007, 08:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO