• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My purpose in life

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
I believe that my purpose in life is simply to live my life as happily as possible. All actions should have their positives and negatives compared, and whichever action would cause more enjoyment in my life should be taken. All other factors only act to decide the outcome of an action.

I generally live my life by this, and it is very simple really. I've told this to some people and they don't seem to agree that this is a good rule to follow.

I have not heard a good argument against this though, and I'm sure there's one out there.

For example: I was arguing with a friend of mine who believes that love and relationships should not be perused because they are illogical and cause you to act foolishly and irrationally. I told him that even though my actions when I am in love may seem irrational, the act of following through with my love interests is itself the most logical course of action, since doing so would result in the most enjoyment in my life compared to the alternative action (not following my feelings for love). He did not agree at all, but never gave any counter argument.

I would like to hear someone's counter argument to this.

Do you agree that this is a good rule to live life by? Do we have a purpose other than simply trying to enjoy life?

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So you're saying that, if it were possible, you would hook yourself up to a dopamine tank and lay drooling into space for the rest of you life. That's an ideal consistent with any morality that considers happiness as the greatest good.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
So you're saying that, if it were possible, you would hook yourself up to a dopamine tank and lay drooling into space for the rest of you life. That's an ideal consistent with any morality that considers happiness as the greatest good.

Interesting. Basically what the guy I linked to said.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Happiness is always the motivator behind a moral choice. Even the people who chose to burn at the stake gained a kind of happiness from their sacrifice. People don't always prefer the option that leads to the most happiness, though, nor do I think they should. There are other factors to consider, things that can be given a higher value than pleasure in itself.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Happiness is always the motivator behind a moral choice. Even the people who chose to burn at the stake gained a kind of happiness from their sacrifice. People don't always prefer the option that leads to the most happiness, though, nor do I think they should. There are other factors to consider, things that can be given a higher value than pleasure in itself.

Elaborate, please.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Happiness is the motive behind a moral choice in the sense that a value is an expression of desire for something; and desire, in turn, is the expectation that the desired thing will, upon your receiving it, bring you some form of happiness. As far as the "other factors" I alluded to, you need only look back at the times you've chosen a difficult path over an easy and pleasant one. In those cases, the value of happiness itself was outweighed by a deeper consideration.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I believe that my purpose in life is simply to live my life as happily as possible. All actions should have their positives and negatives compared, and whichever action would cause more enjoyment in my life should be taken. All other factors only act to decide the outcome of an action.

I generally live my life by this, and it is very simple really. I've told this to some people and they don't seem to agree that this is a good rule to follow.

I have not heard a good argument against this though, and I'm sure there's one out there.

For example: I was arguing with a friend of mine who believes that love and relationships should not be perused because they are illogical and cause you to act foolishly and irrationally. I told him that even though my actions when I am in love may seem irrational, the act of following through with my love interests is itself the most logical course of action, since doing so would result in the most enjoyment in my life compared to the alternative action (not following my feelings for love). He did not agree at all, but never gave any counter argument.

I would like to hear someone's counter argument to this.

Do you agree that this is a good rule to live life by? Do we have a purpose other than simply trying to enjoy life?

Enjoying life is not a real purpose, imo. It's a made up purpose because humans are programmed to survive. Their mind looks at that and theorizes that this is the purpose of life, but imo, it isn't. There truly is no purpose. It just happens.

That realization, however, leads to some interesting conclusions, and tends to promote selfless behavior over selfish behavior. That's how I see it.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Happiness is the motive behind a moral choice in the sense that a value is an expression of desire for something; and desire, in turn, is the expectation that the desired thing will, upon your receiving it, bring you some form of happiness. As far as the "other factors" I alluded to, you need only look back at the times you've chosen a difficult path over an easy and pleasant one. In those cases, the value of happiness itself was outweighed by a deeper consideration.

For me, it seems those times I've chosen the more difficult path, I was basically delaying happiness now, in hopes of attaining more happiness or stopping unhappiness in the future. The motivation is still happiness.

I'll do some introspecting though, see if I can't find some other motivations. It might help if you ask me some leading questions.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For me, it seems those times I've chosen the more difficult path, I was basically delaying happiness now, in hopes of attaining more happiness or stopping unhappiness in the future. The motivation is still happiness.

I'll do some introspecting though, see if I can't find some other motivations. It might help if you ask me some leading questions.
Consider the man who leaps in front of an automobile to push a child out of the way. He wasn't motivated by a desire for maximum happiness; in doing what he did, he placed a greater value in his fellow man than in pleasure itself. This is what happens with many of the dilemmas we face in life. We're given a choice between what is easy and pleasant, and what is likely to bring us much suffering. Often enough, we choose the latter, because we have some deeper principle than getting as much happiness as we possibly can.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Consider the man who leaps in front of an automobile to push a child out of the way. He wasn't motivated by a desire for maximum happiness; in doing what he did, he placed a greater value in his fellow man than in pleasure itself. This is what happens with many of the dilemmas we face in life. We're given a choice between what is easy and pleasant, and what is likely to bring us much suffering. Often enough, we choose the latter, because we have some deeper principle than getting as much happiness as we possibly can.

Could you not also say that he did it because if he didn't he would feel awful? Or he did it because of the pleasure he got from saving the child, however temporary (if he died).

I still think the motivating factor is happiness. Though perhaps a broader definition than commonly used.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Could you not also say that he did it because if he didn't he would feel awful? Or he did it because of the pleasure he got from saving the child, however temporary (if he died).

I still think the motivating factor is happiness. Though perhaps a broader definition than commonly used.
I'm not denying that happiness is the motivator. What I'm denying is that happiness is the only motivator. If I were to offer you the opportunity to hook yourself up to that dopamine tank I mentioned earlier, I know you would refuse. You would be the happiest person on earth if you took the offer--but you would also be worthless, and that would stop you from doing it.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm not denying that happiness is the motivator. What I'm denying is that happiness is the only motivator. If I were to offer you the opportunity to hook yourself up to that dopamine tank I mentioned earlier, I know you would refuse. You would be the happiest person on earth if you took the offer--but you would also be worthless, and that would stop you from doing it.

You may think I would refuse, but I'm actually not so sure. I would carefully consider it. And right now, I'm not seeing a whole lot of downsides (well, an actual dopamine tank has plenty of downsides, but the happiness machine concept that I think you actually want to convey doesn't).

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You may think I would refuse, but I'm actually not so sure. I would carefully consider it. And right now, I'm not seeing a whole lot of downsides (well, an actual dopamine tank has plenty of downsides, but the happiness machine concept that I think you actually want to convey doesn't).
Okay, maybe you would do it. Most people wouldn't, though. I know I wouldn't.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I desire not to step into a happiness machine. Is that helpful? I hope so, because it's the best I can do.

No, 'fraid not. I mean, didn't you basically just repeat what you've already said? I know that you don't want to enter a happiness machine, but that simple fact isn't much use to me without the reasoning behind it.

If you can identify your reasons I'd like to hear them.

I do have some hypotheses though if you want to hear them.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, 'fraid not. I mean, didn't you basically just repeat what you've already said? I know that you don't want to enter a happiness machine, but that simple fact isn't much use to me without the reasoning behind it.

If you can identify your reasons I'd like to hear them.

I do have some hypotheses though if you want to hear them.
I would be glad to give ear to your hypotheses, although they'll only be as right as any old hypothesis.