User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    XNTJ

I was thinking something like that not too long ago...desire is what makes us mortal.
    It is something we can either feel empowered by wanting something so much it takes
    our minds off of everything else, or it is something that we want so much we get de-
    pressed when we don't get it, I guess its each person's own take on whether desires
    are dark or light. Its funny how there are two extremes of a lot of those things, but
    in between is kind of a blurr. Same thing in Christianity, the devil can tempt you to
    make the wrong choses based on just wanting something.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Didn't Nietzsche talk about this concept, too? In a different way?
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Can anyone comment on the Buddhist concept of eliminating desires in order to achieve enlightenment?
    Screw that. Desires give us motivation, power, energy. They push people to become more than they are and humanity to become more than it is. Accepting your lot if life is to be a sheep, a resource for others to harvest. Accept nothing, push for the impossible. :steam:

Lasting_Pain

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Can anyone comment on the Buddhist concept of eliminating desires in order to achieve enlightenment? I believe they have an EXTREMELY valid point with that one. As far as I see it, desire is perhaps the root of all suffering. Feeling the lack of that which you desire is the suffering that we all own with such zealousness.

Why does Buddhism teach the elimination of desire? - Yahoo! Answers
    Your topic title seems to be misleading, at least to me. I always thought that Buddhists wanted inner peace and sanctum, not to become a God. I think Buddha was not a god either. Again I am just typing from my head. I could be completely wrong, which is highly likely.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Do we even realize what 'desire' is? From the way I see it, desire is basically 'giving in' to freedom that is unknown - that is, freedom to do things that would naturally dictate us to question the meaning of life to a whole new degree. That's fucking up, because you do these things of so-called 'freedom' from what you picked up off other people.

... Personally, I can't be sure whether this is to do with one's state of mind and the sense of well-being. Normally, if we remember from our school days, we had ambitions to be the best and work toward specified goals. However, we started picking up senseless behaviour from the people around us. Not that it was cool or anything, but it goes to show that those people themselves were somehow losing worth of themselves - therefore, desire is nothing part of the human condition where pleasure is concerned, but more-so some kind of 'coping' mechanism to put up with personal 'impairments' - emotional, psychological or mental. What I'm saying is, these impairments are associated ultimately with mind function. Desire is a load of crap - leading people to do some ridiculous things, or constantly seek escapism. Possible truth in that is that people are... just generally not satisfied with what they got.

Now, as far as this thread is concerned - to become a God, it's only coincidental, because it's to do with the brain/mind and nothing can determine that (how well the mind is), except with what that individual shows. Yes, there are rare people out there that walk the planet like Gods. Gods, because their mind (most likely) has a strong sense. Mentally well-developed, maybe? These religions come about as a result of 'desire'. You may also note that in a group/culture, we tend to compete and are very much interested in who's the best and normally, the best and brightest show over time and normally, the rest wish to be more like that. Probably a matter of survival strategy - that's so-called desire, perhaps?

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

The purpose of it is the same as new age - to get us to believe the lie that 'man is good'. Once that is believed, then we think well, if we are good, then we are also divine - gods ourselves. It's a lie, we will never be good no matter how hard we try, how much money we give, how many good deeds we do - we are born sinners and need a saviour. Thankfully we have one!

Here is good editorial about that... What is the New Age Movement? | Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I honestly have trouble desiring anything... there just doesn't seem to be anything worth wanting. The only desire I really have is to find a perspective on something that makes it matter to me enough that I'm motivated to do something about it. I haven't been able to either eliminate or fulfill that desire, though.