First 5678917 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Jennifer, when you serve a Sovereign God whose rules of faith and obedience (as revealed in His Word) are immutable, it is very hard to "adjust to the needs of a shifting culture" which is "shifting" into a more and more sinful direction. I'd rather be damned by my culture than by my God. If that "disenfranchises" those of us who believe as I do then we must as needs be thought "unyielding, unreasonable and uable to adjust." I think it is just being thought of by God as a reasonable and true Christian. The Bible continues to be the number one best seller in the world because it is relevant to the day.
    Dude, you need to take a step back.
    I understand your mindset.
    I agreed with it when I was living in that lifestyle.
    I understand it's quite the conundrum.

The only problem is that it's not actually a "given" like you are portraying it, it's a choice.

You've chosen to align yourself with something that demands that level of subservience from you. You haven't been forced to follow it because it's been proven true, it's a choice on your part to ACCEPT it as true. Thus, you're stuck in that hard place where now you can't shift along with the culture.

I realized eventually that (1) there was no proof that particular position was true, it was all a choice on my part and (2) my experiential knowledge had accumulated to a large enough degree that I concluded my original interpretation of spiritual reality was wrong.

You can believe what you want, but honestly, yes, the culture will dump you behind if you don't find a way to deal with it. It's happening now, the Boomer Christian leaders are bitching over the "downfall of America" and post-modern thought. Well, get used to it. If you're going to cling to a rock and not move, then you WILL get left behind. And not in the good sense. Christians used to think they are politically relevant. Well, that's been changing, and the conservative Christians are becoming more and more irrelevant, more of a pocket faith and minority. Eventually that's what it will end up as -- a curiosity.

The Bible is still being sold and is "relevant" because it's got a lot of deep insightful stuff in it. It's also the sort of text that can accommodate a lot of different experiences and philosophies. But each culture reads it and makes it its own. There is no "standard" interpretation. So it looks like the Bible is being relevant for centuries... but it's not what is being suggested in this thread, that a particular INTERPRETATION of the Bible is relevant throughout the centuries, no, not at all. each culture has its own interpretation... and each generation... and its that interpretation that is relevant and why the Bible sticks around.

If you stick to your particular interpretation without focusing on the broader applications, you'll get sloughed off. No way to avoid it. Times change. The concepts don't, the specifics do. a lot of evangelical thought is based on specifics that lose relevancy over time.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

It's a givin.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I'd say the Bible itself isn't the best source for study when it comes to Christianity. It's full of mixed messages, various myths which have lost their context, and read by itself, paints a picture nothing like what Christianity has taken from it. For instance, the Roman Catholic church itself has always considered the teachings coming from their people to take priority over those in the Bible, no? That's why it wasn't even canonized until the Protestant Reformation.

Essentially, the Bible itself isn't nearly as important as what mainstream religion has interpreted from it, or just made up. That's what should be studied if you want a cultural background. For instance, you would never find the full extent of the effects of the Inquisition on Europe from reading the Bible.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

I'll use myself as a testrat here. True...all my actions are done out of choice. Certain actions are chosen by a strong belief in karma. The existence of influential literature (influential as in something to base my belief on....or not) is good to have handy and in abundance. Maybe nowadays people read/buy it to reenforce their belief in karma. Or at least reenforce that karma has a history.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    INTx

The bible is no longer a literary cornerstone.

Our world of information is so much larger than it once was. With many religions and many cultures interacting.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post

Our world of information is so much larger than it once was. With many religions and many cultures interacting.
    And reading the bible to further their understanding of that other culture for maybe the sake of tolerance. Since computers aren't found as prevolent in other 3rd world countries as they are in the 1st and maybe 2nd world. Which leads the first world to buy the same book as the 2nd and 3rd world to further their understanding of the tolerance that the 2nd and 3rd world have.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    If you stick to your particular interpretation without focusing on the broader applications, you'll get sloughed off. No way to avoid it. Times change. The concepts don't, the specifics do. a lot of evangelical thought is based on specifics that lose relevancy over time.
    The coming evangelical collapse | csmonitor.com

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    I'd say the Bible itself isn't the best source for study when it comes to Christianity. It's full of mixed messages, various myths which have lost their context, and read by itself, paints a picture nothing like what Christianity has taken from it. For instance, the Roman Catholic church itself has always considered the teachings coming from their people to take priority over those in the Bible, no? That's why it wasn't even canonized until the Protestant Reformation.
    Yes.

I've found many adherents of the Bible know nothing or very little of authorship theory, historical inaccuracies, and gloss over what directly contradicts itself.

It was an acct, probably fiction for the most part, by a few people that wanted to illustrate the social mores and rules of the time. Similar to Greek mythology, but for that period of time. It's philosophical, and certainly interesting. By no means a true history, or even accurate portrayal of Christianity itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Finally, if the Bible is no longer part of the conversation, that's less the fault of the culture at large and more the fault of the people who claim to adhere to its standards. It has rather disenfranchised itself over time because the followers were unyielding, unreasonable, and unable to apply general principles to adjust to the valid needs of a shifting culture.
    Succinctly stated.

OP:
    I think educated people especially, should read the Bible. In Greek if possible, but I also think that about the Quran and the Tanach in Hebrew. It's like ingesting any classical literary work. Yet, it's not even remotely necessary for art and culture to continue to thrive. Evolution is human nature.

MBTI
    ENTJ

The literature is becoming obsolete in many cases as well.
    WRONG. WRONG. WRONG. WRONG! WROOOONG!!!

Y'alls, one need not be Christian to believe that part of being educated is knowing the bible. The bible is a work of literature - great, timeless literature, upon which so many parts of our consciousness and our culture are based. Arguing that knowledge of the bible isn't important sounds to me like arguing that neurosurgeons should go into their first surgery without ever having dissected a human body/brain before. It's a basic - a cornerstone of our civilisation. You are not an educated person, especially in the liberal arts, without broad/deep knowledge of the bible!

You don't read Romeo and Juliet and question whether or not it's 'real' do you? The question of personal belief isn't relevant here. It doesn't matter how many whackjob Christians you know (or whackjob atheists!).

Great works of art (and the bible is one) never become obsolete. You say that again A.S. and I beat you with the philistine stick.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    WRONG. WRONG. WRONG. WRONG! WROOOONG!!!

Y'alls, one need not be Christian to believe that part of being educated is knowing the bible. The bible is a work of literature - great, timeless literature, upon which so many parts of our consciousness and our culture are based. Arguing that knowledge of the bible isn't important sounds to me like arguing that neurosurgeons should go into their first surgery without ever having dissected a human body/brain before. It's a basic - a cornerstone of our civilisation. You are not an educated person, especially in the liberal arts, without broad/deep knowledge of the bible!

You don't read Romeo and Juliet and question whether or not it's 'real' do you? The question of personal belief isn't relevant here. It doesn't matter how many whackjob Christians you know (or whackjob atheists!).

Great works of art (and the bible is one) never become obsolete. You say that again A.S. and I beat you with the philistine stick.
    I disagree, in part. The part being that if so much of the Bible's culture is entwined with the mainstream culture, then we are taught it by being taught the mainstream culture. Example : thou shalt kill doesn't come as a surprise if we are passed the bible.

Detailed study of the bible is a history lesson, it helps with referencing an awful lot of quotes, that are frequently referred to in cultural contexts. Is someone ill educated without detailed bible study? No. They may choose, for example, to spend that same time on another area of cultural importance, like the history of law, or science or some equally important reference.

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain View Post
    bible
    Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain View Post
    tolerance
    Honestly?