• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Perception is reality"

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No.

(Because if it was, this would mean it doesn't. Such a paradox.)

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Well then aside from getting technical with the terms.... Is there truth in the statement?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Sure.

There's truth everywhere. Doesn't mean any of it is objective, or provides a full account for what is fundamentally 'truthful'. Differences in human thinking provide for a vast ecosystem of potential 'truths'.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's some truth in it.

Basically, we only ever respond to what we perceive (either tangibly or abstractly), because that's the only data our mind is getting.

Hence, for each person, there is a reality based on perception, and this reality is potentially a subset of a more encompassing one, if we could ever step outside out of our own viewpoint and see it from above. But it's hard for us to know that.

Once this is understood, there's various ways to "jigger" perceptions that then seem to impact personal reality.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But I'm still correct... Don't try to flower your way out of it. :<

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Why might a paradox suggest an 'untruth', Fluffywolf?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Perceiving my answer "No." to the statement "Perception is reality" is the paradox.

The untruth is simply that what we perceive, isn't always the truth. Hence perception != reality.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Well, then why might a paradox necessarily suggest 'truth'?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ack, the paradox was just a side effect!

It's nothing to do about the paradox, I just felt like mentioning it.

-Perceiving is a subjective representation.
-Reality is an idea, which can be falsely presented as a subjective representation.
-Truth as we understand it is both a subjective representation (What we understand to be true), as well as an idea (Absolute truth).

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Ack, the paradox was just a side effect!

The side effect is often a byproduct of our primary methodology. A psychological aroma chemically produced by our material focus on a topic, and therefore critical to fully understanding the bulk of what it is we are studying. That was my point.

Beat's question has a lot to do with our shared instinctive desire to instill 'order' in our world. To impose order is to assert comprehension. The belief that we have a reliable encapsulation of all available possibilities in any given scenario tends to assuage some of the emotional burden we might otherwise feel when dealing with an unknown, as we believe we have the necessary intellectual experience to react to potential hostilities from our subject.

Same instinct goes for reality. Finding pattern is how we convince ourselves that we are safe.

I know.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. I'm trying to get you to explain your point further.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
topic "How 2 see the forest through trees?"

body "Tell me."

xD

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, slick move Night dude -- you quoted her post before she made it (sequentially).

You are so, like, Matrix. :wubbie:

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I wanted to see where this topic could go.

I obviously don't believe a blanket statement of "perception is reality" can ever be applied, however, when it gets down to the nitty-gritty, what really matters? If "the people" aren't happy with the perception, does the reality even count for any thing? I'm looking at this from a broader scale, like a nation and its people.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You're the third to call me 'her'. Wonder why. *whistles*

I'm a bit distracted irl so I'll get back to this a bit later, Night. o/