User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    But the cult of MBTI can still provide beneficial effects no?

It's just a tool... like a gun. The existence of MBTI encourages people to think about interpersonal interactions... on how to better understand and get along with others. Do we need truth for that job? Would the empirically derived Big 5 be helpful for this purpose? No.
    But if we dont compare it to reality we lose the effectiveness of MBTI and it becomes nothing more than a social gathering.

Lasting_Pain

Perception is your reality. But what is exactly is reality. Can the internet be considered reality.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Lasting_Pain View Post
    Perception is your reality. But what is exactly is reality. Can the internet be considered reality.
    The internet is reality because it exists. To explain why I think I exist and this is not a dream is because "Things are to consistent in this world and my lack of understanding to great to be able to concieve a dream this grand."

Lasting_Pain

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    The internet is reality because it exists. To explain why I think I exist and this is not a dream is because "Things are to consistent in this world and my lack of understanding to great to be able to conceive a dream this grand."
    Actually depends on the definition of reality that you go by. To some the internet does not exist. To others it does.

Internet is a construct used to describe a complex system. Therefore it can be said that the internet is not real, but the system that lies beneath the word is.

also if that is not good enough

Love is also a construct used to describe complicated human emotions and actions. Therefore it can be said that love is not real.

Lasting_Pain

Sorry for the double post, but here is a clip from Matrix Revolutions that is highly relevant to my point. Skip to about 2:00 min.

[YOUTUBE="lkFp7TGH754"]The Matrix Revolutions[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    STP

Actually depends on the definition of reality that you go by. To some the internet does not exist. To others it does.

Internet is a construct used to describe a complex system. Therefore it can be said that the internet is not real, but the system that lies beneath the word is.

also if that is not good enough

Love is also a construct used to describe complicated human emotions and actions. Therefore it can be said that love is not real.

Lol, what is not a construct? language is nothing more than a construct. The meaning of internet is different to everyone. To my grampa the internet is broken if a web page does not come up. Yes the word "internet" is not real, but what the word stands for is real.

You are simply arguing about a word vs a thing. This can be done for every word ever created. Whats the point of saying anything is real because hell "internet" is not actually the word it is just a pixelation on our screen representing the word and the spelling is just a representation of the sound.

Lasting_Pain

Lol, what is not a construct? language is nothing more than a construct. The meaning of internet is different to everyone. To my grampa the internet is broken if a web page does not come up. Yes the word "internet" is not real, but what the word stands for is real.

You are simply arguing about a word vs a thing. This can be done for every word ever created. Whats the point of saying anything is real because hell "internet" is not actually the word it is just a pixelation on our screen representing the word and the spelling is just a representation of the sound.

I was not arguing, I was simply showing you that reality can be interpreted into many things.

Also the meaning of the Internet cannot change, because it is as you said it is a construct. He interprets from the meaning and forms his own perception of the internet. Which therefore goes back to my point that reality can have many meanings.

MBTI
    STP

I was not arguing, I was simply showing you that reality can be interpreted into many things.

Also the meaning of the Internet cannot change, because it is as you said it is a construct. He interprets from the meaning and forms his own perception of the internet. Which therefore goes back to my point that reality can have many meanings.
    Now lets take arguing, to me arguing is a discusion where we do not agree, what is your meaning? Words can change and people do create there own defintion of words. No one learns strictly from a dictionary, a spoken language is learned from those we are around. It changes the same way a spoken story changes.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

But if we dont compare it to reality we lose the effectiveness of MBTI and it becomes nothing more than a social gathering.
    We compare it to the "subjective" reality. Because we know of MBTI, we pay more attention to similarities and differences between people. This provides us with the bases for improved communications. Scientifically speaking, the MBTI types cannot be proven empirically and therefore we have no evidence that it exists. In other words, it's an artificially created construct but it's still useful. No different than gene vector placed into a bacterium for some gene expression.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

Lasting_Pain

Now lets take arguing, to me arguing is a discusion where we do not agree, what is your meaning? Words can change and people do create there own defintion of words. No one learns strictly from a dictionary, a spoken language is learned from those we are around. It changes the same way a spoken story changes.
    So where does real come in. Is it the source, or is it the meaning we have interpreted it to be.